Why do a good majority of people make female characters?

#171SkytheWiz1Posted 12/20/2012 12:06:33 PM
Out of a dozen characters, I made two females simply because I got tired of trying to make male faces that didn't look like ****.
---
Pretend there are awe-inspiring lyrics
or oh-so-hilarious quotations here, please.
#172simonbelmont2Posted 12/20/2012 12:09:03 PM
Xeku posted...
cbviz80 posted...
Barakah posted...
Well assuming you mean the male majority, I'd say the answer is simply that they're creeps. I'm sure a lot of people have a fair reason for doing it, but most are just creeps lying to both us and themselves.

Not that I'd advise openly suggesting this online lol. I'm only saying it because I don't care about the cowardly veiled insults that are about to be hurled my way by said creeps. All they can do is talk, and even then they can only do that on the internet.

Hmmm... I think less are creeps than the stereotype implies.... but I'm sure many of them are, hence the large selection of adult only mods. Enough adult only that you have to specify non adult while searching.... After saying that though, maybe you are right... lol

Sure, many are creeps - this is true for just about anything though. But, I doubt "majority" is accurate.

And yes, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the general fan population, either - many on this board seem to be unaware of the fact that a good many adult mods were created by women. I'm not suggesting females don't engage in this sort of thing either, but it does throw a wrench into the stereotypes paraded around on this message board on a daily basis.

Some of the more prominent and respected "adult" modders in the Oblivion community are female - and much of this has carried over to Skyrim. Again, "adult" is a generic classification, and usually does not usually involve actual sexually explicit material (nudity is the standard - as the most popular body mesh upgrades, for male and female characters, are nude by default). This wasn't done so people can oogle at the private bits, but rather because it is the norm - those who craft armour, clothing and other gear prefer working from this format (it is easier and more efficient).

This may come as a surprise for some here, but it is nothing new for the community (I'd recommend checking TES centric websites for a more nuanced, realistic view of how everything breaks down).

I remember browsing the oblivion and skyrim nexus for mods some time ago. I generally avoid the nude/sexy mods as they don't interest me. I usually look at the top or most popular mods to see what people can come up with. In those lists I saw a few adult mods that were created by women. As usual though gamers are too quick to reaffirm lazy stereotypes. It's just lazy thinking.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#173CRK44Posted 12/20/2012 12:38:32 PM
Last time I made a female character in a videogame was about...4 years ago...in Fable II.

She exclusively used guns, had a couple STD's, and just about every straight male (and a few gay females) were in love with me due to my Alignment/Attractiveness scale. I was hounded by the citizens of Bowerstone the second I fast traveled in.

What I'm saying is FABLE 2 offered a more realistic experience for a hot, famous, female hero.
---
Jarl Ballin'
#174Gaming_EsquirePosted 12/20/2012 2:15:17 PM
Blatant trolling in the OP aside, good topic! One that is near and dear to my heart. Ever since I was a kid, I always picked female characters in any game whenever available, going all the way back to Chun-Li.

I have several reasons for doing so, all of which have been posted in this thread. My reasons are:

1) RebelElite791: And because they want to, because it's a roleplaying game, or because they're that horny.

2) obishawn: Because those guys who do make female characters are guy and as such, are stimulated visually.

3) ShockWav3: People that purposely play as girls in RPGs are the same kind that wear their girlfriends panties when they arent around. Its the same concept. [This. Except I wear my EX girlfriend's panties)

4) PathlessBullet: Because a warrior goddess looks better than a scruff dirty neckbeard?

5) Twinmold: Because most guys are perverts and ones who use the internet doubly so. People will try and justify their actions differently, but it's basically people playing with Barbies. [this, so much!]

6) masterpug53: 20% female empowerment
45% simply makes the story and RP'ing more interesting, especially considering how rare female lead protagonists are even in this day and age.
5% to chuckle at all the instances in which the writers forgot to make the dialogue gender-specific
30% because I am indeed a raging pervert [same for me, with more than 30% perv]

7) Wveth: I play female characters mainly because I enjoy strong female characters in fiction. Is that wrong?

8) MMF_Legacy (TC, from OP) "Uh..because I don't feel like looking at a guys butt herr herr." [yes, this too]
---
myroommatetakesbaths.org
#175MorOrimPosted 12/20/2012 4:20:01 PM
I make female characters.............get me a sanmmich.
---
Only 3 things a man needs from a woman: Food, sex, silence.
#176MorOrimPosted 12/20/2012 4:21:28 PM
i make female characters....................get me a sandwich.
---
Only 3 things a man needs from a woman: Food, sex, silence.
#177Unbridled9Posted 12/22/2012 10:08:59 AM
CRK44 posted...
Last time I made a female character in a videogame was about...4 years ago...in Fable II.

She exclusively used guns, had a couple STD's, and just about every straight male (and a few gay females) were in love with me due to my Alignment/Attractiveness scale. I was hounded by the citizens of Bowerstone the second I fast traveled in.

What I'm saying is FABLE 2 offered a more realistic experience for a hot, famous, female hero.

Wait. So it's realistic for a female hero to be a **** but my Fable II heroine, who used a potent mix of magic and swordsmanship, was lovingly devoted to her family which consisted of her husband, son, and two daughters, fought hard to keep the world safe, expressed no interest in anyone outside of her spouse, and who got her start working hard for hours on end to earn enough money to become who she is ISN'T realistic?
---
If you love a person, it doesn't matter if they cheat.
If you love a person, you won't cheat.
#178Mu_NovaPosted 12/22/2012 11:24:57 AM
I've made only female characters and more or less see them as me. And I've almost always had a preference for playing female characters anyway.

But after playing through like... what, ~10 times, I'm planning on finally making a male character after I put my Breton aside. I'd like some variation in armor appearance and voice and crap.
---
I am a fan of My Little Pony. You do not have to watch My Little Pony.
#179garcia_jxPosted 12/22/2012 11:42:12 AM
MMF_Legacy posted...
zerobobo posted...
no, most people do play male characters.

however the people who like to show off their characters often play females cus they "dress them up" and such. and "look how pretty my character is".
its kinda creepy.

That's how I feel about it and I felt isolated as if I was the only one thinking that way.

I am on board with you guys. I like to think that character is me. I guess that is why I choose the most human like character.
#180garcia_jxPosted 12/22/2012 11:47:11 AM
Wait, I thought all the dragons in Skyrim were male, since they sound like males.