Paarth is a time-bomb.(spoilers)

#51clone11Posted 12/24/2012 3:43:27 PM
Paarthurnax does not, in any sense, imply that the Dovahkiin should kill him.

He specifically tells the Dovahkiin that he knows he can be trusted because he's spent ages learning to control himself, that he knows he can control himself.

The Blades are wise not to trust me. Onikaan ni ov. I would not trust another dovah.
Dov wahlaan fah rel. We were made to dominate. The will to power is in our blood. You feel it in yourself, do you not?
I can be trusted. I know this. But they do not. Onikaan no ov dovah. It is always wise to mistrust a dovah.
I have overcome my nature only through meditation and long study of the Way of the Voice.
No day goes by where I am not tempted to return to my inborn nature. Zin krif horvut se suleyk.
What is better to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"

---
"You persist too long after your own defeat. Come then, warrior. Have your resolution."
#52A_Hairy_WafflePosted 12/24/2012 3:46:29 PM
clone11 posted...

He specifically tells the Dovahkiin that he knows he can be trusted because he's spent ages learning to control himself, that he knows he can control himself.

The Blades are wise not to trust me. Onikaan ni ov. I would not trust another dovah.
Dov wahlaan fah rel. We were made to dominate. The will to power is in our blood. You feel it in yourself, do you not?
I can be trusted. I know this. But they do not. Onikaan no ov dovah. It is always wise to mistrust a dovah.
I have overcome my nature only through meditation and long study of the Way of the Voice.
No day goes by where I am not tempted to return to my inborn nature. Zin krif horvut se suleyk.
What is better to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"

That's means he hasn't truly overcome his nature, therefore he must be killed.
#53clone11Posted 12/24/2012 3:48:39 PM
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
clone11 posted...

No it doesn't. Did you actually read anything he said before that? It means that everyday he is tempted to return his old ways and everyday he resists those temptations.
---
"You persist too long after your own defeat. Come then, warrior. Have your resolution."
#54The_Beer_ScotchPosted 12/24/2012 3:51:40 PM(edited)
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
clone11 posted...

What is better to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

This means that guns should be restricted with tighter background chec....

Wait wha?
---
You can have her then. I like my boys and girls pure, sloppy seconds are for chumps. ~ Rikashi.
#55M4nnimalPosted 12/24/2012 3:51:52 PM
But..he has already had students. And I'd say he held up pretty well.
---
"A revolution is a struggle to the death between the future and the past."
#56A_Hairy_WafflePosted 12/24/2012 3:53:01 PM
clone11 posted...
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
clone11 posted...

No it doesn't. Did you actually read anything he said before that? It means that everyday he is tempted to return his old ways and everyday he resists those temptations.

Just because I quit smoking doesn't mean the temptation to start again won't eventually get to me. As long as the temptation is there, regression is possible.

He can tell you he can be trusted all he wants but as long as he is tempted he can not truly be trusted to stay how he currently is.
#57Sab_LiathPosted 12/24/2012 3:53:48 PM
It should be stated that pretty much every named dragon has a unlpeasant-sounding name.

Odahviing? Snow Hunter Wing, or Winged Snow Hunter. With a name like that, I expected him to be a white dragon, to blend in with the snow, or blue/grey to match the sky..
Durnehviir? Curse Never Dying (Which could either be take as 'The Eternal Curse' or 'The Eternally Cursed')
Vulthuryol (The Dragon in Blackreach)? Dark Overlord (of) Fire.

The point is, names do not equal destiny, despite how it might seem like that at times. Paarthurnax chose to aid the mortal races. He did it because he felt they were worth protecting. I don't feel he'd suddenly stop being that way just because Alduin has been defeated. Also, if you return to the Throat of the World later, you find Paarthurnax has returned, and there are other dragons fiying around. It ppears to me that he's decided to lead the dovah for there, where he's kept his vigil for millenia.
---
Sab_Liath defeats Topic! Gains 89 EXP! Learns Magma Drill!
#58A_Hairy_WafflePosted 12/24/2012 3:53:50 PM
The_Beer_Scotch posted...
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
clone11 posted...

What is better to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

This means that guns should be restricted with tighter background chec....

Wait wha?

It's Christmas, don't you start with me sir.

:3
#59Curved_Sw0rd(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2012 3:55:48 PM
I made a nice debate, 50+ poast omg
---
Hurr I'm a durr- RebelElite791
#60clone11Posted 12/24/2012 4:00:42 PM
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
clone11 posted...
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
clone11 posted...

Just because I quit smoking doesn't mean the temptation to start again won't eventually get to me. As long as the temptation is there, regression is possible.

He can tell you he can be trusted all he wants but as long as he is tempted he can not truly be trusted to stay how he currently is.

I'm not really arguing whether or not he should be killed, I'm pointing out that he, in no way, implies that he, himself, thinks he should be killed. He clearly states the opposite.

But, if you're dead set on this, of course regression is possible, that doesn't mean you should just off him. As someone pointed out earlier, by that logic, the Dovahkiin should just off himself because there is a chance he's going to turn into another Miraak at some point. Just because something could happen, it doesn't mean we should act like it will happen.

Paarthurnax has spent manythousands of years resisting his nature, why do people believe he is just suddenly going to up and decide he wants to go full Alduin on everyone's ass?
---