Paarth is a time-bomb.(spoilers)

#61A_Hairy_WafflePosted 12/24/2012 4:02:42 PM
clone11 posted...
I'm not really arguing whether or not he should be killed, I'm pointing out that he, in no way, implies that he, himself, thinks he should be killed. He clearly states the opposite.

But, if you're dead set on this, of course regression is possible, that doesn't mean you should just off him. As someone pointed out earlier, by that logic, the Dovahkiin should just off himself because there is a chance he's going to turn into another Miraak at some point. Just because something could happen, it doesn't mean we should act like it will happen.

Paarthurnax has spent manythousands of years resisting his nature, why do people believe he is just suddenly going to up and decide he wants to go full Alduin on everyone's ass?

The second part of my comment was a joke. The not overcoming his nature wasn't though.

I understand that in the context it didn't seem like one.
#62clone11Posted 12/24/2012 4:04:27 PM
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
clone11 posted...
I'm not really arguing whether or not he should be killed, I'm pointing out that he, in no way, implies that he, himself, thinks he should be killed. He clearly states the opposite.

But, if you're dead set on this, of course regression is possible, that doesn't mean you should just off him. As someone pointed out earlier, by that logic, the Dovahkiin should just off himself because there is a chance he's going to turn into another Miraak at some point. Just because something could happen, it doesn't mean we should act like it will happen.

Paarthurnax has spent manythousands of years resisting his nature, why do people believe he is just suddenly going to up and decide he wants to go full Alduin on everyone's ass?

The second part of my comment was a joke. The not overcoming his nature wasn't though.

I understand that in the context it didn't seem like one.

Aww I was enjoying talking about this. :(

Oh well, maybe someone will come along and be like "Gee clone, that's some deep s***, have a cookie"
---
"You persist too long after your own defeat. Come then, warrior. Have your resolution."
#63The_Beer_ScotchPosted 12/24/2012 7:41:02 PM
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
The_Beer_Scotch posted...
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
clone11 posted...
Paarthurnax does not, in any sense, imply that the Dovahkiin should kill him.

He specifically tells the Dovahkiin that he knows he can be trusted because he's spent ages learning to control himself, that he knows he can control himself.

The Blades are wise not to trust me. Onikaan ni ov. I would not trust another dovah.
Dov wahlaan fah rel. We were made to dominate. The will to power is in our blood. You feel it in yourself, do you not?
I can be trusted. I know this. But they do not. Onikaan no ov dovah. It is always wise to mistrust a dovah.
I have overcome my nature only through meditation and long study of the Way of the Voice.
No day goes by where I am not tempted to return to my inborn nature. Zin krif horvut se suleyk.
What is better to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

That's means he hasn't truly overcome his nature, therefore he must be killed.

This means that guns should be restricted with tighter background chec....

Wait wha?

It's Christmas, don't you start with me sir.

:3

<3
---
You can have her then. I like my boys and girls pure, sloppy seconds are for chumps. ~ Rikashi.
#64Storm_WalkerPosted 12/24/2012 7:41:15 PM
Tequila_Shot posted...
RebelElite791 posted...
Tequila_Shot posted...
This is, of course, not counting the fact that Parthurnaax himself tells you that he can't be trusted and implies that the Last Dragonborn should off him.

No he does not imply that. He's just a philosophical bro like that.

Rebel, we've had this conversation before and the only thing you proved is that unless it's explicitly stated in no uncertain terms, you vehemently deny it's very existence.

He knows that you were sent to kill him. He, himself, says he's not to be trusted. He agrees with the Blades' opinion of him. Any person with a brain would take that as an implication of him accepting his fate. That's what I took away from that conversation with him, and I really couldn't give two ****s whether you like it or not.

*thunderous applause*
---
"I'm feelin' peachy keen, so f%@& you, and thanks for asking ^/.^"
#65deadpool223Posted 12/24/2012 7:50:53 PM
>I can be trusted.

> It is always wise to mistrust a dovah.

now what exactly is paarthonax?

hes a!!!!

DOVAH!

why would you trust him when he himself said that you shouldent trust him? he said himself its wise to mistrust dovah, and you believe him because he says you can?
---
honk HONK honk HONK http://i.imgur.com/NztEG.gif. :33 < fus ro paw,
#66youshallbeasgodPosted 12/24/2012 7:52:17 PM
He's old as hell, one of the oldest dragons in existence. I don't think he will just snap. On the other hand, maybe he's waiting for the right time.
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#67XydruPosted 12/24/2012 8:09:27 PM
deadpool223 posted...
>I can be trusted.

hes a!!!!

DOVAH!

why would you trust him when he himself said that you shouldent trust him? he said himself its wise to mistrust dovah, and you believe him because he says you can?

Kinda seems like you're taking his words out of context on purpose, so

Player: The Blades say you deserve to die.

Paaethurnax: The Blades are wise not to trust me. Onikaan ni ov. I would not trust another dovah.

Player: Why shouldn't they trust you?

Paarthurnax: Dov wahlaan fah rel. We were made to dominate. The will to power is in our blood. You feel it in yourself, do you not? I can be trusted. I know this. But they do not. Onikaan ni ov dovah. It is always wise to mistrust a dovah. I have overcome my nature only through meditation and long study of the Way of the Voice. No day goes by where I am not tempted to return to my inborn nature. Zin krif horvut se suleyk. What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

I believe him because he has an incredible wealth of wisdom, and because the Dovahkin would feel the same will dominate as him. If you can be trusted to not enslave, so should he.
If he wanted to enslave men again, he would have returned to Alduin's side and helped him when his temptations were strongest. Possibly the last opportunity he'd get to rule over men again, and instead he decided to help put an end to it (again) and then takes it upon himself to teach other dragons the Way of the Voice. He wants to be a mentor, not a ruler, and share his wisdom.
---
The whorephanage is for whores and orphans, not Michael Jackson -Black Dynamite
#68Spartan_VicePosted 12/24/2012 8:20:26 PM
deadpool223 posted...
>I can be trusted.

hes a!!!!

DOVAH!

Kinda seems like you're taking his words out of context on purpose, so

Player: The Blades say you deserve to die.

Paaethurnax: The Blades are wise not to trust me. Onikaan ni ov. I would not trust another dovah.

Player: Why shouldn't they trust you?

Paarthurnax: Dov wahlaan fah rel. We were made to dominate. The will to power is in our blood. You feel it in yourself, do you not? I can be trusted. I know this. But they do not. Onikaan ni ov dovah. It is always wise to mistrust a dovah. I have overcome my nature only through meditation and long study of the Way of the Voice. No day goes by where I am not tempted to return to my inborn nature. Zin krif horvut se suleyk. What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

I believe him because he has an incredible wealth of wisdom, and because the Dovahkin would feel the same will dominate as him. If you can be trusted to not enslave, so should he.
If he wanted to enslave men again, he would have returned to Alduin's side and helped him when his temptations were strongest. Possibly the last opportunity he'd get to rule over men again, and instead he decided to help put an end to it (again) and then takes it upon himself to teach other dragons the Way of the Voice. He wants to be a mentor, not a ruler, and share his wisdom.

Why would he join Alduin's side again to when he can sit on the sidelines, watch Alduin get killed, and usurp his position and leader of the dragons, which is exactly what he did . Like seriously, I feel you people who trust Paartharnux haven't read or watched enough stories because Antagonists who trick the protagonist into killing an Antagonist for their power has been happening for a long time, a prime example is The Wizard of Oz.
---
4/14/2010 - The Day one of my GameFAQs moderations was overturned.
Quoting something that sounds intelligent does not stop you from looking like an idiot.
#69M4nnimalPosted 12/24/2012 8:28:04 PM
Except Paarthy was clearly distraught when Alduin was "killed", and often questioned the Dovahkiin on his/her motives behind killing Alduin.

Not to mention that Paarthurnax's "tyranny" is to have other Dragons use their Thu'um in non-aggressive ways.
---
"A revolution is a struggle to the death between the future and the past."
#70XydruPosted 12/24/2012 8:48:57 PM
Spartan_Vice posted...
Why would he join Alduin's side again to when he can sit on the sidelines, watch Alduin get killed, and usurp his position and leader of the dragons, which is exactly what he did . Like seriously, I feel you people who trust Paartharnux haven't read or watched enough stories because Antagonists who trick the protagonist into killing an Antagonist for their power has been happening for a long time, a prime example is The Wizard of Oz.

I guess that's why he's still perched up on the Throat of the World with ol' Odahviing right now, eh?
Besides that, if he wanted to dominate men even a little, he would've corrupted the Grey Beards. He's been their leader, presumably, FOREVER.

And no, he didn't. He wants to make the other dragons adhere to the Way of the Voice, not enslave man/mer kind.

Not a single thing he's ever said hints at him wanting to turn back to his old ways.
---
The whorephanage is for whores and orphans, not Michael Jackson -Black Dynamite