Do you concider Skyrim to be a true role-playing game?

#2195_EclipsePosted 12/26/2012 10:00:14 AM
Its definitely an RPG, but its not so clear cut as your typical RPG, because it also has some "action/adventure" game too it.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#22hellslingerPosted 12/26/2012 10:00:53 AM
Its definitely an RPG, but its not so clear cut as your typical RPG, because it also has some "action/adventure" game too it.

It's an Action RPG.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Qf7Mh.jpg
#23Kou-NurasakaPosted 12/26/2012 10:01:11 AM
hellslinger posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, not games like TES and Fallout.

Yeah you have no idea what an RPG is.

Actually, I think JRPG's are a bit of a misnomer. You aren't actually taking on a role as much as you are watching a story and being engaged (hopefully) in that story. Instead of roleplaying, you are more or less playing an interactive movie with a linear story. Maybe it doesn't have linear progression, but the story is nearly always linear, and if it isn't, it's often a choice between two linear outcomes. Tales of the Abyss is a great example. The story is the same no matter what. You could almost make a case for LoZ to be a true RPG, since Link is a role the player takes on. Older games like Dragon Quest 1 fit this criteria.

A WRPG lets you more effectivly role play, since you are in control of the situation, but they require more imagination. Especially so, since your character often has no backstory. TES is a great example, since you are always a criminal, why? Who knows? Mass Effect lists you as Commander Shepard, who again, is a role you take on with no visible backstory (I've only played 2. Maybe you have one in ME1 and I'm just not aware of it).

The entire phrase, Role Playing Game is kinda weird. It's come to mean stats, customization, and weapon equips, but every game is an RPG at it's heart. Super Mario Bros. on the NES is an "RPG where you take on the role of Mario.
#24Samp98518Posted 12/26/2012 10:13:17 AM
WheezinEd posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games

I want to kick you.

Looks like someone can't handle an opinion.

hellslinger posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, not games like TES and Fallout.

Yeah you have no idea what an RPG is.

I know what an RPG is, I just played one in Paper Mario yesterday. TES and Fallout aren't what I would call an RPG. What I call an RPG are the games I have listed before, along with ones like Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, the Mother series, etc... But as stated before, pretty much every game is an RPG, because you are taking the roll of someone else. I call this an action-adventure game, because that is what it is A game where half the time you are out exploring, and the other half you are fighting. I prefer my RPG's to be heavy on story, and often times turn based. This game has story in it, but so much traveling and other things to do that the story of it just really isn't there for me.
---
"My plan was perfect. But there was one thing I overlooked, one factor I failed to calculate.
He's a dumbass. And there's no accounting for dumbassness.
#25hellslingerPosted 12/26/2012 10:16:04 AM
It can be opinion that you like certain RPGs over others but you can't call "Skyrim isn't an RPG" an opinion when it's an outright lie.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Qf7Mh.jpg
#26Ajd_KingPosted 12/26/2012 10:26:37 AM
I've never understood why people so vehemently defend Skyrim's RPG label based on the ability to roleplay. One, you can roleplay on Viva Pinata, but I wouldn't call that an RPG. Two, Skyrim not being (or being considered) an RPG does nothing to make it less of an enjoyable game.
#27youshallbeasgodPosted 12/26/2012 10:38:41 AM
You can make your character, you can choose your guilds and missions, and how it will end. There's a "main quest" that serves as the driving force for your gaming experiences, that's RPG enough for me.
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#28thor23Posted 12/26/2012 10:41:36 AM
happysteve789 posted...
Personally i do not the game is so fun but it is very very very linear.

I don't see your point. Aren't most RPGs entirely linear? Games like Final Fantasy have one story and don't let you deviate from it at all.
#29The_Ivory_ManPosted 12/26/2012 10:44:06 AM
Ajd_King posted...
I've never understood why people so vehemently defend Skyrim's RPG label based on the ability to roleplay. One, you can roleplay on Viva Pinata, but I wouldn't call that an RPG. Two, Skyrim not being (or being considered) an RPG does nothing to make it less of an enjoyable game.

But it's clearly an RPG you create a role that you play in a game
#30xSuper_ChuckxPosted 12/26/2012 10:46:18 AM
Samp98518 posted...

So an RPG has to be Japanese? Don't get me wrong, I love both those series. In all actuality those games are far more linear than any TES game.
---
"I will beat you into a living death" -Ken Shamrock
"90% of the game is half mental" -Tim Sylvia