Do you concider Skyrim to be a true role-playing game?

#31AlphaDogMJPPosted 12/26/2012 10:53:26 AM
It really depends on how you want to play the game. It also [i]somewhat[/i] depends on how much effort you put into playing it. Someone could easily just either zip through the main story, or ignore it entirely, and not treat it how they or their character would play it if you really were an adventurer.

Of course, how you want to [i]and how you do[/i] play it aren't the deciding factors of it's a true-roleplaying game or not, but they heavily contribute.

Now, asking me what I think, I don't really see why people wouldn't consider it a 'true' roleplaying game. At least from my point of view and play-style, I put a lot of heart into making that Nord 'who he is today'. Being a gamer that plays all genres of games, the least I can tell you is that Skyrim isn't anything like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.
---
"Bippity boppity boop,"--as quoted by Bill Cosby.
#32simonbelmont2Posted 12/26/2012 10:57:02 AM
I think it's an action role-playing game.
---
Carl Kolchak: You should meet my boss. He'd turn Buddha into a chain smoker.
#33poorrabbitPosted 12/26/2012 11:02:53 AM
Samp98518 posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, not games like TES and Fallout.

And you would be wrong. The games you are talking about are JRPGs which constitute a tiny subset of the larger blanket genre of RPG. You may disagree with me, but without the background and knowledge to back it up, you're just going to get more posts where people want to kick you.

Read, and learn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_role-playing_game
#34Fisto_Posted 12/26/2012 11:09:27 AM
Combat-wise, Bethesda gives you many options to choose from, although they should have more choices, such as spellmaking and different weapon types.

Skyrim is not a true role-playing game. The quests are so damn linear there is one way to finish them all. Also, 90% (made--up statistic, I know, but you'll get my point) of all quests are "fetch x at y and bring to z". Oh, and don't trip on any draugr!

I miss quests in Oblivion like the hunting game on the island, or, my favorite of all, the Elder Scroll quest. Granted, they're linear too and only have one ending, but they're not mindless dribble consisting of fetching something.
---
Please assume the position.
#35M4nnimalPosted 12/26/2012 11:15:21 AM
Obviously, it is. It seems people don't quite understand what an RPG is.

Also: Wtf how is Skyrim "very very very linear"? That's insane.
---
"A revolution is a struggle to the death between the future and the past."
#36CaliberChampPosted 12/26/2012 11:15:35 AM
Some people will forever be lost in translation. Just to be clear, Skyrim is an RPG. Even Betheseda says that it is an RPG, you dam morons.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z
#37youshallbeasgodPosted 12/26/2012 11:30:06 AM
lol the guy thinks XCOM and Dark Souls are terrible games and we're lost in the translation
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#38FaycelessPosted 12/26/2012 11:30:17 AM
Linear? Not in the least. I enjoyed Oblivion for hours upon hours without ever completing the main quest, same can be done with Skyrim. (though I did finish that quest line)

As for whether it is an RPG, it is most definitely. It is more of an RPG (in the purist sense) than just about any other game available on modern consoles. As for PC, there are certainly more role-playing options available.

When I say purist, I mean the idea that "role-playing" is the function of the game. There are those who would dismiss JRPGs as you most often cannot control the fate of the character you play. RPGs in the more traditional gaming sense are story-and-number-driven, fairly linear games derived from the mechanics of table-top RPGs and evolved into something new entirely. RPG describes these games because that's what the genre has become. Skyrim not only gives impressive control over your characters appearance and actions (purist), but also has elements of the more story-driven and numbers-based gameplay. There is no sense in which Skyrim cannot be considered an RPG.

The most "pure" role-playing games out there aren't even called RPGs. They are called Rogue-likes, and most gamers don't have what it takes to try and learn that genre. Most of them are free (the good ones anyways) so go ahead and dive into that if you really want to play a role. I enjoy the genre greatly, but I still enjoy Skyrim for what it is - a nice RPG.
#39garcia_jxPosted 12/26/2012 11:32:25 AM
FMLG posted...

How would you define a 'true role-playing game'?

Exactly what I was going to ask.
#40Samp98518Posted 12/26/2012 11:48:16 AM
xSuper_Chuckx posted...
Samp98518 posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, not games like TES and Fallout.

So an RPG has to be Japanese? Don't get me wrong, I love both those series. In all actuality those games are far more linear than any TES game.

It doesn't have to be Japanese, it just so happens that I prefer JRPG's over any other type of RPG. That's what I feel is an RPG, Skyrim to me is an action-adventure game. I feel like people are taking what my opinion is and blowing it out of context. Maybe my opinion is wrong, but that doesn't change anything about Skyrim other than what categories it is in for awards, and let's be honest, most of them are BS anyway. I'm not saying Skyrim is bad, just that I don't look at it and see it as an RPG.
---
"My plan was perfect. But there was one thing I overlooked, one factor I failed to calculate.
He's a dumbass. And there's no accounting for dumbassness.