Do you concider Skyrim to be a true role-playing game?

#41youshallbeasgodPosted 12/26/2012 11:58:59 AM
Samp98518 posted...
xSuper_Chuckx posted...
Samp98518 posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, not games like TES and Fallout.

So an RPG has to be Japanese? Don't get me wrong, I love both those series. In all actuality those games are far more linear than any TES game.

It doesn't have to be Japanese, it just so happens that I prefer JRPG's over any other type of RPG. That's what I feel is an RPG, Skyrim to me is an action-adventure game. I feel like people are taking what my opinion is and blowing it out of context. Maybe my opinion is wrong, but that doesn't change anything about Skyrim other than what categories it is in for awards, and let's be honest, most of them are BS anyway. I'm not saying Skyrim is bad, just that I don't look at it and see it as an RPG.

Because RPG = turn based combat right
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#42kissmuppetPosted 12/26/2012 12:08:06 PM
When I opened my Skryim box, and there was no pencil, paper, or dice, I was very very very disappointed.
---
The good guys always win. Even in the 80's.
#43another_drewPosted 12/26/2012 12:18:10 PM
Samp98518 posted...
xSuper_Chuckx posted...
Samp98518 posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, not games like TES and Fallout.

So an RPG has to be Japanese? Don't get me wrong, I love both those series. In all actuality those games are far more linear than any TES game.

It doesn't have to be Japanese, it just so happens that I prefer JRPG's over any other type of RPG. That's what I feel is an RPG, Skyrim to me is an action-adventure game. I feel like people are taking what my opinion is and blowing it out of context. Maybe my opinion is wrong, but that doesn't change anything about Skyrim other than what categories it is in for awards, and let's be honest, most of them are BS anyway. I'm not saying Skyrim is bad, just that I don't look at it and see it as an RPG.

theres nothing to take out of context. this isnt a matter of opinion, its a matter of fact. Skyrim is an RPG. FF and DQ/DW games are JRPG. this is all by definition, opinions do not matter. thats like saying that you dont consider obama president because you didnt vote for him. regardless of your opinions they are what they are.
#44Kaze_MemaryuPosted 12/26/2012 12:23:49 PM
Nah - I genrally sort these point 'n click type macro menu games into the adventure simulation mix - an RPG really makes me feel like I am the person I'm playing, but western dev's often suck at good personalities, instead continously making flat warrior generics like you've seen them since 1985.
---
"Evil, beware. We have waffles..."
- Raven, Teen Titans
#45EklundzPosted 12/26/2012 12:27:02 PM
I love the relative freedom in the game and the bustling and alive world, however I define Role playing as a game (physical or digital) where multiple roles play together.

Either the roles are controlled by real people, as in pen and paper RPGs or in some occasions Never Winter nights.
Or they are controlled by the computer and have their own will and morals, like in Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age Origins.
---
Dark Souls ruined gaming
#46KotomineKireiPosted 12/26/2012 12:39:44 PM
happysteve789 posted...

To be honest, "role-playing game" is a very vague thing, and it's hard to tell what is and isn't a role-playing game.

Kind of like vegetables or fruits.

However, in my opinion, any game, were you make your own character and plan their development, is a role-playing game.

I guess in that respect, I would consider Skyrim to be an RPG...though Fallout I find to be more fitting of the genre.
---
"EVENT ENDED!"
---
#47jrr18Posted 12/26/2012 12:50:06 PM
KotomineKirei posted...
happysteve789 posted...

To be honest, "role-playing game" is a very vague thing, and it's hard to tell what is and isn't a role-playing game.

Kind of like vegetables or fruits.

However, in my opinion, any game, were you make your own character and plan their development, is a role-playing game.

I guess in that respect, I would consider Skyrim to be an RPG...though Fallout I find to be more fitting of the genre.

There is a clear distinction between vegetables and fruits. If it has seeds or is a seed it's a fruit if it doesn’t it's a vegetable, yes RPG is a poorly defined term that no agrees on what it means.
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#48LockeadonPosted 12/26/2012 12:51:02 PM
why does this topic keep coming up? it doesn't bloody matter if its a true rpg it matters if its a good game
---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider
#49rigby9Posted 12/26/2012 12:57:04 PM
I depends.

If we mean in sense that you can play pretend and be potato farmer or hobbyist swimmer who sells pearls at the local market, yes skyrim is one of the strongest role playing games out there.

If we are talking deep stats driving adventure game with a ton of branch options and meaningful character building, hellz noe. classifying skyrim as a role playing game in that way would be like labeling call of duty as a tactical shooter.
#50FalosPosted 12/26/2012 1:12:22 PM
There was a time when an RPG had a one-track story and that was the role you fulfilled through the hero's avatar delivery. Whether it's open-role or single-role it's an RPG.

If you want to start up that fight, go pick on the morons in the professional, financed review community that will drop "RPG" any time a game has any kind of stat-building. Sincerely. It would be doing me a favor, it would do us all a favor.
---
Ever squish your face on a window? Looks funny. Ever got stuck?