Do you concider Skyrim to be a true role-playing game?

#61catsimboyPosted 12/26/2012 2:36:05 PM
*spoilers* I'd definitely say Skyrim is a RPG, but outside of picking if and when you do the quests almost all of the quests, main and guild, are completely linear. Like the Thieves Guild it's like "Are you sure you want to be a Nightengale and eternally bind your soul to the service of Nocturnal?" and the only thing you can say is "Yup sign me up". I HATE THAT. That's where Bethesda dropped the ball. If they put in the extra effort to give me the choice to say "Screw you and your stupid cult, I'm going to kill Mercer with pure skill" I'd feel so much more in control. Forget skills and stats, choices in dialogue and the world reacting to your decisions, that goes more towards making a game a RPG.
#62PanopictonguyPosted 12/26/2012 2:36:50 PM
In Dungeons & Dragons you created your character and backstory but the Dungeon master picked your role and the Die picked the outcome of every decision you made.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#63ArreiPosted 12/26/2012 3:02:23 PM(edited)
If you're talking about whether Skyrim's a game that lets you shape your experiences based on your choices, then I'd have to say no.

Because while you are free to do whatever you wish, I don't believe linearity matters at all when it comes to "role-playing" - it's just that you have no instances where your choices matter in the least.

Joined the Thieves' Guild just to make coin? Hope you enjoy eternal servitude to the deity of shadows.

Showed absolute loyalty to the Night Mother instead of Astrid? Cool, that leads to betrayal. Respond with total obedience to Astrid every time? Okay, so the same betrayal happens despite your loyalty.

Intimidated a lot of NPCs rather than persuading? Why, it'd be silly to expect characters to greet you differently after that!

While a game like Deus Ex Human Revolution, on the other hand, while much smaller in scope than Skyrim, keeps counters recording the amount of enemies you killed or simply knocked out, the way you respond to characters, and the ways you complete quests, and changes dialogue accordingly to make it seem like your actions had an effect on the characters.
#64eragonman9Posted 12/26/2012 3:16:21 PM
Every time you make a role. And you play it.
So yes.
---
*poke* *jiggle*
http://i.imgur.com/gdB1s.png AwesomeTurtwig is Awesome.
#65MilenninPosted 12/26/2012 3:22:12 PM
Big world to explore: CHECK
Character building: CHECK
Talking to NPC's: CHECK
Collecting items: CHECK
Dungeons: CHECK

Answer: Yes, I consider Skyrim to be a role-playing game.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#66SuperturkeysPosted 12/26/2012 3:30:13 PM
Home>Release Data>Genre>Role-playing. Yep it counts.
---
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
#67AteasPosted 12/26/2012 3:38:13 PM
hellslinger posted...
People seemed to have forgotten what an RPG actually is. If you say no, then you are one of those people.

People who think Skyrim offers any true role-playing likely haven't played a real role-playing game before. In Skyrim (and other computer-based RPGs), most problems only have one viable solution. You're given little choice in dialogue, and what you say almost never makes much of a difference. I know in some games like Mass Effect and The Witcher choice actually does make a difference, but you're still limited to the choices the game offers you.

In a real role-playing game, like Dungeons and Dragons, you're free from many of those constraints. There are still rules, but there's room for more imagination. There aren't any pre-set dialogue options, and how a situation unfolds is always unpredictable because you never know what your friends are going to do.

For example, I was playing with my friends the other night. We found a gold ring and a silver ring, and two of my friends (who were both playing evil characters) fought over who got them. They ended up each taking one. Later in the game, we came across a pedestal with a ring-shaped groove in it. Neither ring would fit, so they started arguing again over who would take the other ring and try them both at once.

One friend (who is a gnome warlock with a short man complex who hates tall people, and levitates himself just above eye level to compensate) tried intimidating the other into giving him the ring. It didn't work; the other then used a stunning spell and stole the ring from his pocket. The rings fused together, and we opened the door.

They spent the entire game bickering and trying to undermine each other even during combat, until at the end of the game they were literally casting offensive spells at one another fighting over who got the treasure at the end of the dungeon. Skyrim is a bit less predictable than other games, but you still can't get that kind of organic experience in it. Does this make Skyrim inherently bad? No, but it does make it less of a "true" RPG.
#68El_ZaggyPosted 12/26/2012 3:39:05 PM
Samp98518 posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, not games like TES and Fallout.

What? seriously you dont role play in those games, youre just watching a story, unfold like a movie. You dont chose anything. jrpg shouldnt be considered as rpgs, it doesnt let you do anything.
#69ArreiPosted 12/26/2012 4:10:54 PM(edited)
El_Zaggy posted...
What? seriously you dont role play in those games, youre just watching a story, unfold like a movie. You dont chose anything. jrpg shouldnt be considered as rpgs, it doesnt let you do anything.

Tell me more about how you get to roleplay while anything you do in Skyrim that isn't just a fetch quest makes you watch a story unfold like a movie about leading the Dark Brotherhood or about becoming Archmage of Winterhold without even making any choices.

Face it, if "role-playing" is what determines a "true" RPG, it's never going to be possible unless they can make a computer that writes a story on the fly.
#70jrr18Posted 12/26/2012 4:10:25 PM
Arrei posted...
El_Zaggy posted...

Tell me more about how you get to roleplay while anything you do in Skyrim makes you watch a story unfold like a movie about leading the Dark Brotherhood or about becoming Archmage of Winterhold without even making any choices.

Face it, if "role-playing" is what determines a "true" RPG, it's never going to be possible unless they can make a computer that writes a story on the fly.

This is why we need true AI.
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101