Do you concider Skyrim to be a true role-playing game?

#71RikiazPosted 12/26/2012 4:12:35 PM
You people comparing table top D&D to RPG video games need to stop. It is impossible to get that level of role-playing in a video game. In D&D there are litterally endless possibilities for dialog, story ect due to the fact that it is all based off of your imagination. Video games don't have that. There are finite choices and finite outcomes.

Could dialog choices in Skyrim be better? Yeah. Could they have more of an effect on the world? Yes. Does that mean that it isn't an RPG? Not at all. TES games are true RPGs as I see them.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality
#72ArreiPosted 12/26/2012 4:25:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#73happysteve789(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2012 4:25:30 PM
Basically a RPG is what you make it to be.
---
Hey! I'm your friend!...right...
#74ArreiPosted 12/26/2012 4:30:14 PM(edited)
Well, I'm of the opinion that the idea of a "true" role-playing video game is ludicrous to begin with. Not only does it revolve around the idea that what you like is the metric that all RPGs should be judged by, but it also carries the idea that anything that does it differently is somehow inferior as a game, and often indirectly claims that most RPGs we've known since role-playing video games were even a thing weren't RPGs. That's why I specifically gauged Skyrim's ability to change a story based on the player's choices and avoided measuring if it was a "true" RPG - player choice just seems to be the metric that people love to measure an RPG by these days and Skyrim sure doesn't live up to that.

To me, Elder Scrolls is very much an RPG. So is Mass Effect. So is Deus Ex. So are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales of, and other JRPGs. What is different between each game is the way each one handles their game, like Skyrim's complete freedom, Mass Effect's ability to shape the story based on your choices, or countless other RPGs' concept of the player building a party of adventurers and determining what abilities they can use as they explore an overarching story... and to say that any of these games is not an RPG because they don't do something another game did is ridiculous.

A game can be good or bad, depending on what they chose to do... a story that makes no sense, or terrible gameplay mechanics, for example... but that just makes them a bad game, it doesn't strip away the tag of "RPG".
#75djprofessork1Posted 12/26/2012 4:27:57 PM
i consider it a single-player MMO

a bunch of busy-work with no real substance at all
---
If you believe in Goku, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#76Fate_AssassinPosted 12/26/2012 4:30:38 PM
I think Skyrim is a "true RPG". Yes the game may not give you may choices but that is were the player defines the role there character plays in the game. That is the main reason it is a
"true RPG". People that brought up the thieves guild were you become a NightingGale, well if you want to make a ton of coin then just do the odd jobs. This is the type of game that needs the player to use their own minds to define how they play the game.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
3/13/2013, shipment date
#77ArreiPosted 12/26/2012 4:41:41 PM(edited)
Fate_Assassin posted...
I think Skyrim is a "true RPG". Yes the game may not give you may choices but that is were the player defines the role there character plays in the game. That is the main reason it is a
"true RPG". People that brought up the thieves guild were you become a NightingGale, well if you want to make a ton of coin then just do the odd jobs. This is the type of game that needs the player to use their own minds to define how they play the game.

That often just doesn't work, though, no? Say in your example you joined the guild because you just want to make coin using the guild's support. You're given the choice to become a Nightingale, or not... but not becoming a Nightingale also means never chasing down Mercer, which means never restoring the guild to its glory to allow you to make even more coin and receive a cut of other thieves' spoils when someone like you should be fully able to take down Mercer yourself and restore the guild (because, that's exactly what you do... Nocturnal didn't even grant you any power). Someone who joined the guild for money would never let that slide... so you can't refuse the call to be a Nightingale while still wanting to make coin.
#78Fate_AssassinPosted 12/26/2012 4:41:30 PM
Arrei posted...
Fate_Assassin posted...

That often just doesn't work, though, no? Say in your example you just want to make coin. You're given the choice to become a Nightingale, or not... but not becoming a Nightingale also means never chasing down Mercer, which means never restoring the guild to its glory to allow you to make even more coin and receive a cut of other thieves' spoils. Someone who's in it for money would never let that slide... so you can't refuse the call to be a Nightingale while still wanting to make coin.

But the way they described the a Nightinggale is they are the best thieves around, so wouldn't they want that type of power.

Also I may have described it bad. The way I look at Skyrim is that someone is reading one of the Elder Scrolls, and they are seeing how events unfolded kinda like a book. Yes the games may not give you much choice about quest and stuff, but it does give the player ample room to use their: imaginations.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
3/13/2013, shipment date
#79ArreiPosted 12/26/2012 4:48:33 PM
Power is appealing, but such characters must always gauge whether it's worth the reward or not. Therein lies the problem - characters that decide it's worth it are fine and dandy, but characters that decide it isn't, leading the player to refuse the call, are forced to simultaneously abandon the chase for Mercer when that doesn't make any sense.

That's what we mean by "lack of choice" - your imagined events are heavily restricted by what the quests force on you - you can't imagine yourself fiercely loyal to Astrid because she doesn't trust you and picks up the Idiot Ball no matter what kind of dialogue choices you picked. You can't imagine yourself to be a fledgling young mage who has a lot to learn, because in no time at all the College makes you Archmage without even requiring you to display mastery of magic. (You also can't imagine yourself to be the only one there with enough brains to realize Ancano's totally evil and just fling him off a cliff thanks to him being essential, like you could in Morrowind)
#80Fate_AssassinPosted 12/26/2012 5:00:49 PM
Arrei posted...
Power is appealing, but such characters must always gauge whether it's worth the reward or not. Therein lies the problem - characters that decide it's worth it are fine and dandy, but characters that decide it isn't, leading the player to refuse the call, are forced to simultaneously abandon the chase for Mercer when that doesn't make any sense.

That's what we mean by "lack of choice" - your imagined events are heavily restricted by what the quests force on you - you can't imagine yourself fiercely loyal to Astrid because she doesn't trust you and picks up the Idiot Ball no matter what kind of dialogue choices you picked. You can't imagine yourself to be a fledgling young mage who has a lot to learn, because in no time at all the College makes you Archmage without even requiring you to display mastery of magic. (You also can't imagine yourself to be the only one there with enough brains to realize Ancano's totally evil and just fling him off a cliff thanks to him being essential, like you could in Morrowind)

You do have a point, but it would be hard to describe it in the lore . I think they are trying to protect the lore they set up. Now they could have made it so someone can take your place, but it might cause problems then.
---
3/13/2013, shipment date