Do you concider Skyrim to be a true role-playing game?

#81DuckyhunterPosted 12/26/2012 5:05:51 PM
Ajd_King posted...
I've never understood why people so vehemently defend Skyrim's RPG label based on the ability to roleplay. One, you can roleplay on Viva Pinata, but I wouldn't call that an RPG. Two, Skyrim not being (or being considered) an RPG does nothing to make it less of an enjoyable game.

Same reason people defend to the death video games as "art." It's falsely believed that art is superior to non-art.

It also drives some Skyrim fans mad to think their game is just a less linear Call of Duty.
---
Carolina Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes fan.
#82DuckyhunterPosted 12/26/2012 5:10:04 PM
Fate_Assassin posted...
I think Skyrim is a "true RPG". Yes the game may not give you may choices but that is were the player defines the role there character plays in the game. That is the main reason it is a
"true RPG". People that brought up the thieves guild were you become a NightingGale, well if you want to make a ton of coin then just do the odd jobs. This is the type of game that needs the player to use their own minds to define how they play the game.

So would you consider any sandbox game an RPG on those merits? i.e. Dead Rising? Or GTA?
---
Carolina Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes fan.
#83AkridHunterPosted 12/26/2012 5:17:58 PM
iDubstep posted...
hellslinger posted...
People seemed to have forgotten what an RPG actually is. If you say no, then you are one of those people.

This. RPGs aren't for giving you a wide variety of roles to play... just one will suffice...

So CoD and Halo are RPGS? B-BUT THEY GIVE YOU A ROLE!

No, RPGs give you a wide variety of roles to choose from, even if it breaks down to a class system. Skyrim is by technicality an RPG but it isn't a very broad one.
---
VexNoFace likes it rough
#84hijokaidenPosted 12/26/2012 5:41:03 PM
happysteve789 posted...
Do you concider Skyrim to be a true role-playing game?

No.
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#85hijokaidenPosted 12/26/2012 5:47:39 PM
Samp98518 posted...
No. A true RPG for me is the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, not games like TES and Fallout.

Fail.
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#86hijokaidenPosted 12/26/2012 5:55:42 PM
Über RPG:

Mass Effect
The Witcher
Dragon Age
etc

Mid RPG:

Gothic
Risen
Divinity
etc.

Low RPG:

Skyrim
Dragons Dogma
Arx Fatalis
etc.

Fake hasbeens RPG-wannabees:

Star Ocean
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
etc.
---
#87rizinbl00Posted 12/26/2012 5:58:41 PM
TC has obviously not played many video games.
#88happysteve789(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2012 8:17:37 PM
rizinbl00 posted...
TC has obviously not played many video games.

Every game you play as a role, does that make every game a role playing game? i don't know it is your opinion, and in my opinion skyrim id not a RPG, you may have a different opinion, and what do you play hmmm skyrim and COD and you think your a gamer?
---
Hey! I'm your friend!...right...
#89Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 12/26/2012 8:21:20 PM
Brenz0r posted...
No, TES has moved a fair distance away from its RPG roots by this point, though as far as game companies are concerned it's still close enough to qualify as one.

I say this. While it does have aspects of RPG the streamlining of it just sort of feels less.... RPG like. When I think of RPGS I think of large amounts of skill redundant or not that I can put points into.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#90LostoutPosted 12/27/2012 6:28:03 AM
A lot of people here genuinely don't seem to understand what the word "role" means and why almost EVERY game is an RPG. A role is a character or piece that you are given to act out as long as one role is given with one plot and one outcome then you have an RPG.

Most people tend to equate a stat building system to RPGs, which Skyrim has ofc, which makes sense as it creates the sense that you're influencing how the character fulfils the role. Then somewhere everyone decided that the game needs to have multiple plot paths and outcomes with "choices" before it qualified as an RPG. Nope incorrect. These things are nice and arguably create better, more malleable roles with greater depth for an all round better RP experience but they are not necessary or required for a game to be considered an RPG..
---
I am as awesome as a bear high fiving a shark in space during an explosion.