Seriously, how do I deal with this Serana refusing to follow glitch?

#1keybladelord12Posted 12/27/2012 9:08:13 AM
This is the second time I've had this bug happen on a character. The first time it wasn't a big deal, I'd long done the dawnguard questline and was bored with having Serana as a follower. This time around, it's happened during the dawnguard questline.

When I ask her to wait, the option to make her follow again isn't there. If I dismiss her, the option to follow doesn't appear in the list.

Anybody found any potential fixes?
---
The bloodiest beef in The Reach!
#2obishawnPosted 12/27/2012 9:30:00 AM
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Serana

Nothing good or particularly convenient...

To get Serana following again after asking her to "Wait" is by going somewhere far away (like inside Fort Dawnguard) and waiting three to five days.

Myself, I told her to wait in a Dungeon once. After completing it and exiting, I want to say I fast travelled too, she followed again.
---
Winter is coming
#3lorddrago88Posted 12/27/2012 9:31:51 AM(edited)
Just do what I do to get a woman to listen to me: beat her until she complies.

/sarcasm

---
Currently stalked by: EdgarAllanTroIl, VincentVanTroIl, OnsIaughter
#4keybladelord12(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2012 9:38:34 AM
Fortunately I've just discovered that I'm at a point in the quest line where Serana following me is compulsory. So I waited several days and she automatically began following me again instead of returning to Fort Dawnguard.

Still, I can't get her to follow me after telling her to wait. It's a shame because I was hoping to use her on/off after completing the questline.

At the very least I wish we knew what caused the glitch so it could be avoided in the future.
---
#5obishawnPosted 12/27/2012 9:48:49 AM
Go with this chick, she's the best I've seen:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Aranea_Ienith

Very powerful magic, doesn't get in the way, no wait/follow glitches, zero morality and she'll wear Forsworn gear, if you know what I mean...
---
Winter is coming
#6keybladelord12(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2012 12:25:07 PM
Though I mostly want Serana just because she purdy. Not for any practical need of a follower.

I just completed the Dawnguard questline and Serana is able to follow again! This is peculiar, on my other character this glitch occurred after completing the questline, still bugged. Very odd.
---
#7obishawnPosted 12/27/2012 12:28:41 PM
Just don't make her wait... that's about the only way to avoid it.
---
Winter is coming
#8martingolding96Posted 12/27/2012 12:30:29 PM
at one point i had lost serana so i fast travelled to various places and she didn't apear so i fast travelled to fort dawnguard and she apeard behind me there
#9DerejinPosted 12/27/2012 12:34:39 PM
Well, the most info I've found on this -
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim_talk:Serana
The '"The come with me" bug' section of the article is what strikes me as the most interesting.
As a Dawnguard, you cannot enter the Undercroft from the mansion, as far as I know, but I've never re-entered the Undercroft from Skyrim's outer-cell anymore after the quest that requires it, and I didn't lose Serana's following ability.
Just unlock the Volkihar Balcony fast-travel point on your first run through(go out the door in Valerica's Study) and you won't have to worry about it.