in a real world why choose hadvar over ralof?

#11thor23Posted 1/1/2013 10:26:18 AM
nativeboi85 posted...
But the imperials are still reluclant to execute you the stormcloaks dont see you as evil how do you know your not following hafvar to more imperials waiting to execute you

Because there's chaos ensuing, and Hadvar and all the Imperials are trying to save their own lives. When would Hadvar get a chance to organise an ambush against you? That's a little paranoid.
#12snarkknight5Posted 1/1/2013 10:27:33 AM
It's an interesting conundrum, to be sure. I'm willing to stipulate that Hadvar is a righteous dude, but his reservations aside, he was utterly overridden.

You have to look at it from the point of view of your character. Your character doesn't know that you're headed to uncle Alvor's house. As far as he knows, Hadvar is going to rendevous with his unit, and there is no reason to think that things wouldn't go very badly for the Dragonborn in the wake of the dragon attack. Even if the DB isn't executed outright, the Imperials may very well assume that he or she knows something about it-after all, the dragon saved you from the headsman's block-and have you interrogated, maybe even tortured.

Ultimately, Hadvar, bro though he may be, is sadly insufficient to assure the Dragonborn's safety.

In my opinion, at least. Your mileage may vary.
---
Now with kung-fu grip!
#13The_Ivory_ManPosted 1/1/2013 10:28:48 AM
MC2011 posted...
Well considering I just crossed the border into Skyrim and have no clue what the hell a Stormcloak is... I'd probably stick with the Hadvar.

For all I know those "Stormcloaks" could be nothing more than bandits who'll later gut me for fun, enslave me, consider me "in their debt" for them "saving" me, or get me killed in some other manner later on.

Plus he seemed like a sympathetic man when listing off the prisoners, as well as being part of a well known faction, so there's a chance he could be reasoned with.... Unlike that jerk ass captain who wants heads to roll and bodies hit the floor.

Nice reasoning man, I think Bethesda wanted you to see the Stormcloaks go "These guys are AWESOME" Then go into Windhelm and see Galmar's brother and a former Stormcloak taunting a Dunmer and then you see the Gray Quarter and go "wow..."
#14MC2011Posted 1/1/2013 10:43:17 AM
Plus there is the fact there is a ****ing dragon about. I don't think Hadvar wants to play "babysit the prisoner" after escaping Helgen with a dragon levelling a town and still flying around and his squad scattered. The fact that he doesn't outright kill you and trusts you enough to let you have a blade is saying something.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have gone with either and just ran out into the woods on my own and try to cut mysef free on a pointy rock later. There's a chance you have no clue who the Stormcloaks are if you don't live in Skyrim, and considering that you were about to be executed, you'd also want to avoid the Legion for a little while as they'll most likely forget about you in the wake of a dragon attack and having to deal with a Stormcloak rebellion.

Though yeah, given the only two choices, I'd be siding with Hadvar.
---
May God have mercy on your soul... - The Preacher
Because I sure as hell won't. - The Gunslinger
#15thermopylaePosted 1/1/2013 10:44:57 AM
probably in real life we wouldnt think about who to follow as a dragon is burning people to a crisp.
---
The price of Victory is high, but so are the rewards.
#16happysteve789Posted 1/1/2013 10:53:58 AM
The_Ivory_Man posted...
MC2011 posted...
Well considering I just crossed the border into Skyrim and have no clue what the hell a Stormcloak is... I'd probably stick with the Hadvar.

For all I know those "Stormcloaks" could be nothing more than bandits who'll later gut me for fun, enslave me, consider me "in their debt" for them "saving" me, or get me killed in some other manner later on.

Plus he seemed like a sympathetic man when listing off the prisoners, as well as being part of a well known faction, so there's a chance he could be reasoned with.... Unlike that jerk ass captain who wants heads to roll and bodies hit the floor.

Nice reasoning man, I think Bethesda wanted you to see the Stormcloaks go "These guys are AWESOME" Then go into Windhelm and see Galmar's brother and a former Stormcloak taunting a Dunmer and then you see the Gray Quarter and go "wow..."

i agree beth made it so there was no clear cut good side versus bad side in this game, they made it so you had to think about who you will side with.
---
Hey! I'm your friend!...right...
#17Dex_PyromaniacPosted 1/1/2013 10:56:32 AM
The_Ivory_Man posted...
Again right after getting inside the tutorial with Hadvar

"Stormcloaks maybe we can reason with them"

"Hey, look there is a dragon an-"

"IMPERIAL ATTACK"

Compared to Ralof's

"Imperials maybe we can ambush them"

LOL I never even thought about it that way :D
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dexpyro <===== Dark Souls stuff
#18mandalore2385Posted 1/1/2013 11:01:55 AM
My first play through, I lost track of Hadvar and followed Ralof, but every play through since I've always sided with Hadvar.
#19The_Ivory_ManPosted 1/1/2013 11:06:37 AM
mandalore2385 posted...
My first play through, I lost track of Hadvar and followed Ralof, but every play through since I've always sided with Hadvar.

Same here, cept on my one character I made to do the Cloaks
#20SoulOfFaythPosted 1/1/2013 11:15:42 AM
The_Ivory_Man posted...
Again right after getting inside the tutorial with Hadvar

"Stormcloaks maybe we can reason with them"

"Hey, look there is a dragon an-"

"IMPERIAL ATTACK"

Compared to Ralof's

"Imperials maybe we can ambush them"

Well you know, they were just about to get executed by the imperials, it would make sense for them to think those soldiers aren't coming over for cookies and tea, they just want to defend their lives. While the imperials think 'oh **** we're on equal ground now I'd better try to get out of this'
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open