in a real world why choose hadvar over ralof?

#81FOGEDABOUDITPosted 1/1/2013 4:58:30 PM
Why not just jump off the wagon? Seemed pretty easy.
---
I do so love Riften. I journeyed here in my youth. A thief took my purse... so I took his eyes. It was a fair exchange.
#82The_Beer_ScotchPosted 1/1/2013 5:03:33 PM
FOGEDABOUDIT posted...
Why not just jump off the wagon? Seemed pretty easy.

Those armed soldiers on horseback would be helpess against a bound prisoner in rags!
---
To be announced
#83zeroboboPosted 1/1/2013 5:40:21 PM
The_Beer_Scotch posted...
In this topic : A handful of imperial soldiers, including their leader, should not represent the entire imperial army.

But a handful of stormcloak affailated CITIZENS, plus some implied inaction, represents the entire stormcloak army.

Logic ---------> window

yeah, it confuses me too.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#84KarnRX78Posted 1/1/2013 5:47:47 PM
A dragon is attacking, I'd rather go with the guy who has weapons.

Overall I think it was a poorly written opening. I think most people went with ralof the first time. The Storm Cloaks lost me after I went through 1 play through with them. I found the whole rebellion story to be lackluster though.
#85CTBradumsPosted 1/1/2013 5:51:56 PM
I thought the game was pretty fair about it. It seemed slightly biased toward the Stormcloaks, but not terribly so.

As some other people mentioned, Hadvar was apologetic and not at all against you. If you're playing an Imperial citizen, it's not far-fetched to join him in order to keep away from the rebels, avoid running right back to a chopping block, and prove that you're not a traitor.

The rest of the game is pretty balanced in terms of politics. The Imperials are the "ends justify the means" jerks-out-of-necessity, and the Stormcloaks are the short-sighted justice hounds. Neither are perfect, and both are flawed in their own ways. The Imperials DID screw Skyrim over, but they did it thinking of the long-term survival and possible victory of the Empire against the Thalmor. The Stormcloaks ARE justified in wanting to oust Imperial dictatorship and religious oppression, but they don't really stop to consider the bigger picture.

As a Stormcloak, I didn't feel any regret or think about the situation until Elisif went on her rant at the end of the questline. After she told everyone what Torygg and the Empire really thought about the situation, and what they were planning, it made me stop and go, "Hm...I, uh...didn't consider that."
#86Pinoy441Posted 1/1/2013 5:57:15 PM
zerobobo posted...
In this topic : A handful of imperial soldiers, including their leader who was not overseeing the execution, should not represent the entire imperial army.

But a handful of stormcloak affailated CITIZENS and leaders who would've passed laws to be extremely unfair to any race other then nord while playing into the thalmor's hands, plus some implied inaction, represents the entire stormcloak army.

Logic ---------> window

Fix'd
---
*grabs popcorn*
#87XanderRingePosted 1/1/2013 5:58:12 PM
About the ambush:

It's later on in the tutorial in the big open area, not the beginning where the Imperials open the gate.

Anyways, there is a lot of information to intake at that point, and we all have different levels of processing powers for all of it. Personally, I would probably follow Hadvar since he talks first. If I had heard Ralof, I would have hesitated and probably followed him, seeing as how I would feel safer with someone in my same situation and he also follows a man with a mystical power like the Voice. After that point, I probably would have avoided the war altogether.
---
I am Alexander Ringe.
#88PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 1/1/2013 6:03:03 PM
Choosing Hadvar is one thing, it can be explained and understood. But jkoinging a faction immediately after having been on their hitlist is beyond explanation.

The only way it all makes any sense to me is that if you got a pardon from Tullius himself because of being Dragonborn.

But IIRC if you head straight to him after Helgen, he gives you some BS excuse as to why he's letting you walk aroiund free whereas yesterday he was gonna chop your head off. It's just bad writing.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#89The_Beer_ScotchPosted 1/1/2013 6:10:14 PM
Pinoy441 posted...
zerobobo posted...
In this topic : A handful of imperial soldiers, including their leader who was not overseeing the execution, should not represent the entire imperial army.

But a handful of stormcloak affailated CITIZENS and leaders who would've passed laws to be extremely unfair to any race other then nord while playing into the thalmor's hands, plus some implied inaction, represents the entire stormcloak army.

Logic ---------> window

Fix'd

I know FAR FAR FAR more about the games lore than you do, so please keep your filthy hands away from my post.

Ulfric was manipulated by the thalmor, he doesn't realise he was, but its what happened. That is true.

The empire signed the treaty not out of neccesity, but out of convenience. And passed laws to benifit cyrodil, whilst abandoning hammerfell completely, and selling out the religious beliefs of skyrim.

The empire is being manipulated just as much as the stormcloaks are.

Note that I am not taking sides as it is irrelevant, but do not put words in my mouth about things you have no idea about. Thats just rude.
---
To be announced
#90Spartan_VicePosted 1/1/2013 6:22:05 PM(edited)
Choosing Hadvar is one thing, it can be explained and understood. But jkoinging a faction immediately after having been on their hitlist is beyond explanation.

The only way it all makes any sense to me is that if you got a pardon from Tullius himself because of being Dragonborn.

But IIRC if you head straight to him after Helgen, he gives you some BS excuse as to why he's letting you walk aroiund free whereas yesterday he was gonna chop your head off. It's just bad writing.

Being on their hit list? What are you talking about? They gather up a bunch of criminals and send them to the chopping block, that's what happens in times of war back then, you're either recruited into the military or executed.

Edit: Also, if I was the general of an entire nation's army, and a guy who just suddenly became important came up to me and was like "Hey man, why were you going to kill me when I was totally worthless and insignificant" I'd say "**** off peasant, I'm trying to win a war."
---
4/14/2010 - The Day one of my GameFAQs moderations was overturned.
http://i.imgur.com/Pzq4j.gif