*sigh* Convenient DLC in Skyrim (FO:NV and Skyrim spoilers)

#1SomboSteelPosted 1/1/2013 1:09:11 PM
I sometimes wish that the DLCs in games like this was done more similar to Fallout New Vegas. I like how in that one they already knew what they were going to do and where they were gonna go and what characters were going to appear (for the most part) and had a way one linking the DLC to the vanilla game. Like in NV, you already hear about Father Elijah and Ulysses and Joshua Graham from other people. You can also see some small clues about the Sierra Madre and the Big Empty and Lonesome Road and stuff.

Idk, it just feels so "cheap" in Skyrim sometimes. Well the Dawnguard needs a Moth Priest for the Elder Scrolls, i guess we are screwed. Oh wait, there was one that was conveniently passing through and now we can go get him. It just feels so forced sometimes. Like at least in NV it feels like those people were already a part of the world and them just re-surfacing somewhere else doesnt seem so convenient for the player and the associated quests.

Idk i was just going through all the DLC again and it really annoyed me. I hope that Fallout 4 is good at least :p

/blogfaqs
#2RebelElite791Posted 1/1/2013 2:04:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3jrr18Posted 1/1/2013 2:05:39 PM
Hey at least I can play an hour without it crashing.
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#4SomboSteel(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 2:14:14 PM
Hey, i like both games. Its just after going through DG and DB, the stuff feels more natural in NV. It was pretty cool having everything kinda connected, instead of going to opposite ends of the world dealing with completely unrelated things that just seem to show up literally from nowhere.

Im hoping that FO 4 can be the best mix of Skyrim and NV :)
#5The_Beer_ScotchPosted 1/1/2013 2:29:40 PM
SomboSteel posted...
I sometimes wish that the DLCs in games like this was done more similar to Fallout New Vegas. I like how in that one they already knew what they were going to do and where they were gonna go and what characters were going to appear (for the most part) and had a way one linking the DLC to the vanilla game. Like in NV, you already hear about Father Elijah and Ulysses and Joshua Graham from other people. You can also see some small clues about the Sierra Madre and the Big Empty and Lonesome Road and stuff.

Idk, it just feels so "cheap" in Skyrim sometimes. Well the Dawnguard needs a Moth Priest for the Elder Scrolls, i guess we are screwed. Oh wait, there was one that was conveniently passing through and now we can go get him. It just feels so forced sometimes. Like at least in NV it feels like those people were already a part of the world and them just re-surfacing somewhere else doesnt seem so convenient for the player and the associated quests.

Idk i was just going through all the DLC again and it really annoyed me. I hope that Fallout 4 is good at least :p

/blogfaqs

... so you'd rather the developers decide ahead of time what they are going to add as dlc rather tha n seeing what there fans like/want and trying to implement it?
---
To be announced
#6SomboSteel(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 3:01:04 PM
The_Beer_Scotch posted...
SomboSteel posted...

/blogfaqs

... so you'd rather the developers decide ahead of time what they are going to add as dlc rather tha n seeing what there fans like/want and trying to implement it?

It depends. If it comes out good and feels like these events are unfolding naturally, i'd have nothing against it. They could always add little features/weapons/changes that the fans want in patches and stuff. Or they could just make it so if you ask the inn keepers for rumors, they could mention pieces of info that would come up in a future DLC.

Its seems like there are things that they could do to make the DLC fit with the vanilla game better.
#7JohnRyan1228Posted 1/1/2013 3:06:26 PM(edited)
SomboSteel posted...

Idk, it just feels so "cheap" in Skyrim sometimes. Well the Dawnguard needs a Moth Priest for the Elder Scrolls, i guess we are screwed. Oh wait, there was one that was conveniently passing through and now we can go get him. It just feels so forced sometimes.

First of all I am of the mind that nv is better than skyrim. However if you played on the vampire side it is explained that the priest was there because Harkon spread a rumor about a scroll in skyrim.
---
"oh i comprehended it fine! i just didnt read it!"- zerobobo
#8SomboSteel(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 3:11:26 PM(edited)
JohnRyan1228 posted...
SomboSteel posted...

Idk, it just feels so "cheap" in Skyrim sometimes. Well the Dawnguard needs a Moth Priest for the Elder Scrolls, i guess we are screwed. Oh wait, there was one that was conveniently passing through and now we can go get him. It just feels so forced sometimes.

First of all I am off the mind that nv is better than skyrim. However if you played on the vampire side it is explained that the priest was there because Harkon spread a rumor about a scroll in skyrim.

Oh really? I never played the Vamp side. I guess that makes a little sense. But there are already 3 scrolls in Skyrim, so shouldnt there have been more priests searching for all this time? Also, why was a moth priest only sent to Skyrim with 2 imperial guards? Arent people who are able to be moth priests very rare??

It still just seems like all these quests are all too convenient sometimes. I just really liked the way the DLC was done is NV i guess.
#9F_GalikanokusPosted 1/1/2013 3:10:34 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
NV>Skyrim fanboy circlejerk # 3648? :P

Rebel is right as always
---
Duke of Nuts - "Lisby, who is at the door?"
Lisby - "Someone who wishes to sack the Nut Castle."
#10nathraxhPosted 1/1/2013 3:11:17 PM
I know exactly what you mean, TC. It's a concept called foreshadowing (apologies if you already knew this term, but when I first heard it, it just made so much sense for this problem I have with DLC) and it applies to things like Joshua Graham being mentioned in NV before appearing in a DLC. I have to admit, it's not as bad in Skyrim as it is in some other games, but yeah, some sort of mention of "the first Dragonborn" (who I'd always assumed to be Tiber Septim) really would have made the whole retconn thing a lot more bearable.
---
Dwarf shortage.