Wishlist for TES VI

#1plagueartPosted 1/3/2013 1:52:14 PM
Presumably, the next game in the series will be next gen, so I can see Bethesda doing a lot more with the title than the ambitious Skyrim. I don't have many ideas for the story, but I have a lot of requests from a gameplay stand-point.

Combat could use some diversity and immediacy, if you ask me. Also, it needs to be rebalanced. It's irritating to breeze through a dungeon, then turn a corner and there's an enemy that can one shot you out of nowhere. I'd prefer more dangerous enemies in general, even if that means there are less of them. Dungeons stocked with fodder enemies aren't really that satisfying.

There should be more close-combat styles with skill trees/progressions all their own. Ideally, there should be trees for dueling (one weapon in one hand and nothing else), sword-and-board style, dual-wielding, two-handed weapons, polearms, fist-fighting, and even exotic weapons like whips, 'cause why not?

Give us throwing weapons, because archery and staves get kind of boring after a while.

There's not much wrong with magic, but spell combos like they had intended to originally put in Skyrim would be awesome. Also, bring back spell crafting. While they're at it, why not have a skill tree for staff fighting?

In general, combat should consist of more than spamming triggers. Take out kill cams, and add in contextual attacks you can activate when their triggers come up, like special attacks that can only be used on opponents that are staggered, stunned, paralyzed, below you, etc. This would mix things up and shouldn't be that hard to implement. Add in parrying, active blocking (opponent swings from the left, you have to move your shield to the left unless it's worn on your left arm), and location-based damage like in Fallout.

More transportation options, less incentive to fast-travel. I don't think it should be taken out, but the whole system could be more interesting and immersive. Considering if you walk to Markarth from Riften, you'll get in about ten enemy encounters, it's kind of goofy that you can fast-travel there with nothing happening. It would be interesting to see Red Dead Redemption-style chases on horseback on occasion, or to get waylaid when traveling by wagon.

I could stand to see a more personal, intimate game, although I know Bethesda tries to go as epic as they can most of the time. Fighting dragons as a god-like warrior with tons of ridiculously powerful abilities is cool, but I wouldn't mind if they just cast you as an every-man and set you loose in a simulation-esque world.

Tone down the power level of the player character, and you could have a sandboxy world brimming with interesting miniboss fights in the wilderness. In fact, I like dungeons, but the fact that so many of them are themed the same gives me the idea that it would be better if Bethesda focused on building a dangerous and dense wilderness that had fewer, more unique dungeons. Since it's next-gen, it doesn't seem a stretch to think they could fit a massive wilderness world on one blu-ray disc with a plethora of randomly-generated events and enticing nooks and crannies.

Anyway, just my thoughts, what are yours?

Inb4tl;dr
---
The poodle bites. The poodle chews it.
#2Bigj089Posted 1/3/2013 1:56:02 PM
I wouldn't mind a Two Worlds 2 style magic system. It needs some polish of course but I thought the concept was fantastic.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#3A_Hairy_WafflePosted 1/3/2013 1:56:53 PM
Realistic mode. Low health for you and the enemies. Or just a health slider.

Toggle option for essentials.

More weapon types.

Consequences.
#4Bob_EsrockPosted 1/3/2013 2:00:22 PM
Two words...

A lot more voice actors.
---
Lurking since 1999
Am I the only one who tends to read topics as one large self-argumentative post?
#5RebelElite791Posted 1/3/2013 2:03:04 PM
I could stand to see a more personal, intimate game, although I know Bethesda tries to go as epic as they can most of the time. Fighting dragons as a god-like warrior with tons of ridiculously powerful abilities is cool, but I wouldn't mind if they just cast you as an every-man and set you loose in a simulation-esque world.

That isn't the point of these games, find a new series.

Tone down the power level of the player character, and you could have a sandboxy world brimming with interesting miniboss fights in the wilderness.

No.

And the rest of your ideas suck too.
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing
#6IamI3rianPosted 1/3/2013 2:03:04 PM
Bigj089 posted...
I wouldn't mind a Two Worlds 2 style magic system. It needs some polish of course but I thought the concept was fantastic.

Just got it, haven't played it yet. = )

Also, it needs to be rebalanced. It's irritating to breeze through a dungeon, then turn a corner and there's an enemy that can one shot you out of nowhere.

That's a glitch, not intended. Kill cams ignore (nearly) all damage redux due to an error in the formula's order of operations.

Just a heads up. Think there's even a fix on the PC version.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
I could write a book about what you don't know. --Skeletor
#7edog57420Posted 1/3/2013 2:08:40 PM
It's difficult to pull off because TES has established lore, races, heroes...etc, but I would really like some unique "boss" type characters to fight. Not necessarily an epic style boss, but just something different that we haven't seen before, and maybe this "boss" only inhabits and guards one particular dungeon. But since they try to stick within their own canon and generally try to keep the stories streamlined so that they flow together, it would hard to suddenly come up with new unique enemies and try to explain where they came from without establishing a whole new precident, which the devs may not be inclined to deal with. But 95% of the time we enter dungeons knowing that it's gonna be the same old enemies. Would just be nice to have something surprise you...maybe even cause a retreat if you are not properly leveled, meaning a return visit later in the game.

Aside from some new unique "boss" types scattered throughout, the only thing I missed severly was customizing my own magic spells. In Oblivion I loved making all kinds of crazy spells with mixed abilities just to see what the effect would be. And of course, playing with the potential damage limits was fun as well.
---
I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
#8GriffRobertsPosted 1/3/2013 2:14:56 PM
Not bad suggestions, TC, not bad.

I don't have a problem with Skyrim's combat system. If they kept it fundamentally the same, and only added new combat options like spears, unarmed, or throwing weapons, I would be completely satisfied. Adding more skills around the framework Skyrim builds, that's what I want.

I want to see more perks that interact with other skills, or gameplay aspects. Like how Augment perks work on elemental enchantments, or how Necromage buffs Vampirism. It would add a great dynamic to the game; enhancing other skills by being good at others. Like a perk in the Alteration tree that affects some facet of Alchemy, or a perk in the one-handed tree that's only relevant to sword & boarders. Sort of like how Fallout had perks that had multiple skill requirements, except TESified.

I don't miss spell-crafting at all, but I'm going to talk about the spell-combining they showed in the game jam. "I don't have enough gold to buy a Conjure Flame Atronach tome. But I do already know Flames and Conjure Familiar. Maybe if I combined them... yes! I now know Conjure Flame Atronach." Or better yet, "I wonder what happens if I combine Paralyze with Shock Rune... oh snap! I just learned a Paralysis Rune spell that not even Tolfdir or any other mage knows about! I'm unique, and this sets me apart from my NPC peers!"

And I for one welcome radiant questing, and want to see it expanded upon. Save the giant epic unique dungeons for static quests and guild/main story arcs, but dot the landscape with even more abandoned forts and caves for beggars to lose their helmets in. An instead of having them always respawn with the same enemies, change it up a bit. That bandit camp I cleared out last month? A band of vampires have taken up residence now. Or maybe a band of Orcs, I don't remember.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#9Bigj089Posted 1/3/2013 2:45:06 PM
IamI3rian posted...
Bigj089 posted...

Just got it, haven't played it yet. = )

Also, it needs to be rebalanced. It's irritating to breeze through a dungeon, then turn a corner and there's an enemy that can one shot you out of nowhere.

That's a glitch, not intended. Kill cams ignore (nearly) all damage redux due to an error in the formula's order of operations.

Just a heads up. Think there's even a fix on the PC version.

Its a good game, especially when compared to the first. The magic system was really awesome I though. Kind of complex and can be hard to understand at first though but really fun once you get it down.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#10Van_Of_The_DawnPosted 1/3/2013 2:54:02 PM
Bob_Esrock posted...
Two words

A lot more voice actors.

What?
---
Teacher: "We're gonna' turn this class around, 360 degrees!"
Me: -_- *facepalm*