Wishlist for TES VI

#81GriffRobertsPosted 1/4/2013 6:48:26 AM
Maybe if they brought back item enchanting capacity, or whatever it was called, from Morrowind. Like, a belt could only hold 60 points of an enchantment (like, a Petty soul gem or something), whereas a cuirass could like 1,000 points. I don't think that would work too well, though, when everything is a constant effect enchantment. It would just clutter everything up. And I'm not suggesting we bring back Cast When Used enchantments. Those were silly.

I liked Attributes in Fallout, where they ranged from 1-10 instead of 1-100. It felt like it made a much larger difference when attributes changed; of course, they would have to mitigate Fortify Attribute effects for enchanting, maybe keeping it on specific artifacts or something. But it just feels redundant in Oblivion where you have a skill and an attribute determining the same thing; how much damage is done with a weapon, how much somebody likes you, etc. As M'aiq says, "It does not matter to M'aiq how strong or smart one is. It only matters what one can do."
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#82gamersince1980Posted 1/4/2013 7:43:14 AM
I like the idea of having more pieces of armor to wear, and I just thought of a possible solution to the enchantment-balance issue... what if the more different enchantments you had, the less effective each one became? Say for example a +30% damage were balanced against +20% each for damage and armor, or +15% each for damage, armor, and stealth? Chalk it up to magical interference or some other mumbo-jumbo.
---
I don't have a sig.
#83cynic79Posted 1/4/2013 8:21:57 AM
A lot of the changes that have been suggested aren't actually likely to happen. It would be nice to be able to mix and match armor and clothing, but it would require a ton of processing power since it would mean every single NPC would have to have those same options available as well. Levitation isn't coming back as long as Bethesda puts cities in separate cells.

Combat hasn't evolved much since Daggerfall, and I don't expect to see any massive changes in TES VI. The series has always been about exploration more than combat. The voice acting in this game was an improvement over Oblivion. There was a lot of reused voice actorss and dialogue, but that's to be expected given the number of NPCs and storage limitations. The Morrowind dialogue system was much more complex, since it didn't use voice acting, but I don't think it's realistic to go back to that system. Gamers these days expect voice acting.

I initially missed being able to more fully customize my character at the beginning of the game (setting attributes and birthsign), but I now realize that most of that is still available in Skyrim via Standing Stones and perks. I can see why Bethesda did what they did: new players aren't always sure what kind of character they really want to play, and allowing you to change birthsigns and put points into perks as you play the game more naturally, rather than forcing you to continue down the path you chose at the outset of the game. I don't see that changing in the next iteration of the series.

A few realistic changes that I would like to see:

-A better menu system. Seriously, the Oblivion menu was better than Skyrim's. At least let me sort items by weight, damage, etc.
-More follower options (the Companion wheel from Fallout: New Vegas would be great).
-A spell creation system.
-Make alchemy portable again. You can keep alchemy labs, but at least give us a mortar and pestle so we can make basic potions on the go.
-Better quests. Each guild had a decent main storyline, but the individual quests weren't terribly inspiring, with a few exceptions. The dynamic quest system for NPCs was a nice touch, but needs a bit more variety.
-Greater customization of personal weapons and armor. If Bethesda could limit this to the player character in order to minimize the amount of processing power that would be used, it would be a nice addition.
-Add back a couple more skills. I can see why Bethesda streamlined skills, but at least give us back Unarmed.
#84robirminghamPosted 1/4/2013 9:21:54 AM
gamersince1980 posted...
I like the idea of having more pieces of armor to wear, and I just thought of a possible solution to the enchantment-balance issue... what if the more different enchantments you had, the less effective each one became? Say for example a +30% damage were balanced against +20% each for damage and armor, or +15% each for damage, armor, and stealth? Chalk it up to magical interference or some other mumbo-jumbo.

A very simple fix would be to make some pieces of equipment "unenchantable".
---
www.flydrs.com Video game reviews, previews, and info.
https://www.facebook.com/theflydrs