Do you want TES to take a more mature route?

#51BenjUK55(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 3:25:13 AM
RebelElite791 posted...
Seriously using the witcher? Blatant sexism is not "mature."

Well, if we are looking at the context of the game, once again being based upon medieval/middle-age Europe, then sexism would be an obvious theme. The entirety of western politics/culture has been built upon a patriarchy. What 'blatant' sexism are you referring to?

The way it handled band language and sexual themes was very realistic and 'mature'. Of course, the sex scenes were sometimes a bit strange, but I don't think any game has been able to get that right yet.
---
We do not sow.
#52BenjUK55(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 3:27:15 AM
Ajd_King posted...
Depends if there's a reason for it. In that NV quest where you can get the aid of First Recon to take out the Fiends leaders, that sniper being a rape victim was a nice touch (from a writing perspective). It added something to the group's motivation, it became something your player could work to solve, and it made the fight against the Fiends something more than 'kill for lewts and greet justus'.

If it's just some superfluous thing added to show how grown up Bethesda is, then nah.

And this wants me to play TW2 again and do a pro-Henselt run.

Spoilers for The Witcher 2****

I have never been able to not murder him. After I found out what he did to my Ves!

I am thinking of the right guy, yeah?

I'm not entirelysure how to do the blacked out spoiler thingy, sorry.
---
We do not sow.
#53LolOkayPosted 1/7/2013 3:31:40 AM
Well in ratings, sex/gore makes a game mature. But if you're not talking in terms of rating, then I wouldn't be against it. However, a mature theme has to be there for a reason, not just as a proving ground for the game.

But I'm not sure if it will make such a huge impact with TES since mature themes are more story-intensive and TES isn't great at in-game stories (bar a few sidequests). And btw before anyone mentions it, I'm not talking about lore, I'm talking about the execution and the quality of the stories presented in game.
#54RebelElite791Posted 1/7/2013 3:33:57 AM
BenjUK55 posted...
RebelElite791 posted...

Well, if we are looking at the context of the game, once again being based upon medieval/middle-age Europe, then sexism would be an obvious theme. The entirety of western politics/culture has been built upon a patriarchy. What 'blatant' sexism are you referring to?

The way it handled band language and sexual themes was very realistic and 'mature'. Of course, the sex scenes were sometimes a bit strange, but I don't think any game has been able to get that right yet.

Literally lets you collect cards of your sexual conquests. I'm talking about the game itself, not the period/story.
---
Rebel is pretty much a planet, pulling all sorts of moons and satellites his way, among them good, bad, foolish, trollish, and everything else - SeaArrKing
#55Ajd_KingPosted 1/7/2013 3:35:40 AM
BenjUK55 posted...
I have never been able to not murder him. After I found out what he did to my Ves!

I am thinking of the right guy, yeah?

I'm not entirelysure how to do the blacked out spoiler thingy, sorry.

<.spoiler> <./spoiler>

Without the dots.

And yeah, that's the guy. I've never done a play through where he ended in a favourable position, heh.
#56Darg727Posted 1/7/2013 3:46:07 AM
I just wish we had a drinking animation and a drunk sequence that changed the world around you so that you would truly be impaired.

Nudity and sex are unnecessary and would make a lot more people unable to play the game which equals less revenue.
#57BenjUK55(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 4:48:29 AM
RebelElite791 posted...
BenjUK55 posted...
RebelElite791 posted...

Literally lets you collect cards of your sexual conquests. I'm talking about the game itself, not the period/story.

Fair enough. That doesn't necessarily make it sexist though, but I see what you mean.
---
We do not sow.
#58The_Real_TurnipPosted 1/7/2013 5:06:43 AM(edited)
While I wouldn't shy away from TES becoming more Mature, I don't want that to be things that are essentially childish (nudity, constant swearing (unless it's period accurate swearing), or ultra violence).

I think most of what people suggest when saying to make the game more mature should stay in other franchises. Not because I don't think they belong in TES, or because I think it would ruin it, but just because I like variety. If I want to play The Witcher, I can go and buy it at my local shopping centre - I don't need Skyrim (or TES6) to become The Witcher (or a cheap knock-off). I've also heard the Game of Thrones game is pretty good for people who are a fan of the TV Show / A Song of Ice and Fire.

The kind of maturity I'd like to see (in any game I play) is the kind presented in The Walking Dead, or Spec Ops: The Line - hard choices, with hard and realistic consequences to your choices. Not brothels and out of place swearing (yes, those two games had swearing - but it is period and character accurate, which makes it fine).

I'd also like to be able to cripple someones leg with a crossbow, like in Fallout 3 / NV, but that's got nothing to do with Maturity.
#59The_Real_TurnipPosted 1/7/2013 5:05:55 AM(edited)
BenjUK55 posted...
Fair enough. That doesn't necessarily make it sexist though, but I see what you mean.

Can you **** a dude and take his card? If the answer is no then it's sexist.

EDIT: By "a dude" I actually mean an equal number of dudes to the women you can have as conquests.
#60lalallaalalPosted 1/7/2013 5:20:31 AM
It doesn't make sense for sexism to be a part of Skyrim because it doesn't seem to exist in Skyrim. Women are in positions of power all over the place.

I'm in the camp that is fine with these "mature" themes not being "in your face" so to speak. There's plenty of evidence of torture, rape, etc in plenty of dungeons. I don't see a need to have the PC put on the rack, or cut scenes of others being tortured. Seems unnecessary to me.