Do you want TES to take a more mature route?

#61gamrls57Posted 1/7/2013 6:26:18 AM
No. It's already rated mature for blood, gore, intense violence, sexual themes, and use of alcohol. Why would you want more? No thanks.
#62GriffRobertsPosted 1/7/2013 6:34:44 AM
Well, if we are looking at the context of the game, once again being based upon medieval/middle-age Europe, then sexism would be an obvious theme. The entirety of western politics/culture has been built upon a patriarchy.

Please note that this aspect isn't present in the TES universe; women more or less have an equal standing among men in Tamriel. Many times in stark contrast to medieval western Europe. One of the lore-masters can correct me if I'm wrong, but Tamrielic cultures are not very sexist.

I think Bethesda did a fine job balancing the dark humor and mature themes in Fallout. After what they did with Fallout 3, It's obvious they know how to do it. Which leads me to believe that that's just not part of their vision for TES.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#63IamI3rianPosted 1/7/2013 6:43:04 AM
katiekat3001 posted...
etc...

Stale gimmick, and trying WAY too hard to misspell things.

That said, I agree with a lot of what you said.

Solgers? Lol...
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya.
I could write a book about what you don't know. --Skeletor
#64BenjUK55(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 6:43:34 AM
GriffRoberts posted...
Well, if we are looking at the context of the game, once again being based upon medieval/middle-age Europe, then sexism would be an obvious theme. The entirety of western politics/culture has been built upon a patriarchy.

Please note that this aspect isn't present in the TES universe; women more or less have an equal standing among men in Tamriel. Many times in stark contrast to medieval western Europe. One of the lore-masters can correct me if I'm wrong, but Tamrielic cultures are not very sexist.

I think Bethesda did a fine job balancing the dark humor and mature themes in Fallout. After what they did with Fallout 3, It's obvious they know how to do it. Which leads me to believe that that's just not part of their vision for TES.

Oh yeah I see that in TES sexism isn't an issue, what I said was in reference to The Witcher 2.

Yeah perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree in asking for this kind of content inside the Elder Scrolls. Personally, it would enhance my own gaming experience. Maybe it should be left for Fallout after all.
---
We do not sow.
#65BenjUK55(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 6:52:14 AM
The_Real_Turnip posted...
BenjUK55 posted...
Fair enough. That doesn't necessarily make it sexist though, but I see what you mean.

Can you **** a dude and take his card? If the answer is no then it's sexist.

EDIT: By "a dude" I actually mean an equal number of dudes to the women you can have as conquests.

No, that's not true. If the cards are used or intended in a derogatory manner, then it is sexist. Not being able to collect cards for guys you have sex with is most likely down to the PC not being homosexual and therefore not being able to have sex with guys.

Before that being taken as sexist/homophobic, it entirely depends on the reasoning why they made the PC heterosexual.

Most likely, it is because of the market. Sex and sexuality sells and, unfortunately, there is still a very bad stigma attached to homosexuality and still an obsession with over sexualised women. This is most likely the reason why the cards exist and having sex with men doesn't.

However, the question is is this a fault of the gaming company who (re)produce the idea, a fault of the consumers who want the idea or a fault of the narrative/culture that creates the need for the idea?

Anyway, as I was saying, it entirely depends on the context in which the cards are used.
---
We do not sow.
#66Justin2KrelianPosted 1/7/2013 6:54:46 AM
I think the atmosphere these games works better for them than a more Game of Thrones type style would.
#67Foreman22Posted 1/7/2013 6:55:49 AM
I would be fine with a Dragon Age/Mass Effect type of maturity.
#68The_Real_TurnipPosted 1/7/2013 7:12:11 AM
BenjUK55 posted...
However, the question is is this a fault of the gaming company who (re)produce the idea, a fault of the consumers who want the idea or a fault of the narrative/culture that creates the need for the idea?

Bolded the answer to your question. Other games allow you to seduce people, but don't have "conquest cards", or need them. Until the Witcher I'd never even heard of the concept, let alone heard demand for it. So it's not the consumers, the culture or the narrative - since all those things existed before the game did. It's the game's designers. Yeah, their customers expect it now, after The Witcher 1, but that doesn't mean it wasn't their fault originally.

It is still sexist since it quite treats your female conquests as literal trophies. Awarding you them, in point of fact. Even if they weren't startlingly gratuitous (compared with the rest of the game) they'd still be sexist since you're explicitly getting a trophy for being a memetic sex god. The only excuse would be if you could abuse any gender in this fashion, but you can't (it'd be a flimsy excuse anyway).

Keep in mind that I don't actually care that The Witcher is sexist. It's a common theme in period work, and a small(er) part of the established setting in the books. That's not bad.
#69mes77Posted 1/7/2013 7:19:11 AM
So bring back Deseles house of earthly delights ?
---
Ruthlessness is a kindness of the wise
#70violentdissmayPosted 1/7/2013 9:04:49 AM
If Bethesda took a leaf out of The Witcher 1&2

If Bethesda copied the Witcher series it would be very unenjoyable, granted, the voice acting would still be lousy but the Witcher was just terrible.
TES really needs to work on animation imo, my greatsword swings to the right, my enemy does a pirouette to the right etc, Bethesda needs to work on the technical aspects of the game before grittiness if they want realism.
---
Up with this I will not put! - Bernard Black