This has to be the most overrated game I've ever played.

#61LeatherhidePosted 1/12/2013 6:07:54 PM
Zipperbars posted...
Why? Because...

1. The graphics are ass. Seriously, look at the barrels in the towns. Have you ever seen such crappy textures? The mountains are incredibly hideous too.

2 The combat is god-awful. The animations are a joke, the overhyped dragon fights are very anticlimatic, and there's no real depth to it. Pong has better gameplay than this. And one thing really bugs me is the lack of variety in the enemies. You fight zombies, humans, and animals. Seriously, that's it? I'm not sure why the geniuses at Bethesda that fighting the same old things for a billion times wouldn't become redundant.

3. The story is quite mediocre. It's not horrible, but it certainly isn't good either. Some people love to mention the "lore" of this game. I consider said lore to be a huge cluster**** of random names and locations mashed together to make it seem deep. "Akatosh of blah blah blah 24H Secunda giants Nirvana and Greybeards thus RandomBookNo919 Vol.II blah blah blah". THAT is the lore that fanboys love so much.

4. The exploration/roleplay aspect is very lacking. I love how fanboys constantly bring up "b-but it has ROLEPLAYING! and EXPLORATION! ignore the terrible gameplay!". How can you roleplay in a game where your actions have literally no impact at all? You kill the emperor, and what happens after such a major event? A few new guard voice lines! Also, what's the thrill of exploring the same old snowy environment repeated over and over again?

I agree, the actions are great, they just don't have any impact on the world.

I went into this game expecting an amazing experience, but all I got was this. I'll never know how this game got such a high metacritic sore and so many GOTY awards when there are so much more deserving games out there.

1. The graphics are decent, like most multiplatform games. The graphics, while better than the prequel, aren't really part of the reasons the fans like this game.

2. I'm sure there are lots of other games with a better combat system but I like it. The animations aren't as smooth, but the combat being in first person is pretty immersive. I like the fact that you can choose what to wear in each hand. Enemies also use a variety of weapons and magic. There is definitely some depth to it, but it probably isn't the way you want it. I guess they could have made it a bit deeper.

And the enemies? There are different kinds of undead and animals. And humans use different kinds of weapons and magic. I think there's a decent amount of enemies. They could have used more variety per dungeon though.

3. Depends, I like the story itself with the whole Dragonborn idea, dragon language and shouts. I also like the way the story goes, they should have just made it a bit more climatic. SPOILERS: the last boss is just a regular dragon fight for example. If you don't attack it, your champions will kill it for you eventually.

4. I agree, the actions are great, we get to do epic stuff, but it just doesn't really impact the world.

I love this game. My biggest complaint would probably be that they went for quantity instead of quality. There are lots of dungeons, but most of them don't hold anything special and they all look the same.
---
Fallout 3 isn't Oblivion with guns, it's Fallout 3 with Guns.
#62CaIiber345Posted 1/12/2013 6:08:57 PM
hyjinx17 posted...
I geuss I'm the only one who enjoyed combat in Skyrim

No, I enjoy it too. I can admit that it's not the deepest combat system ever. But it suffices for what it intends to do.
---
When all else fails, and you're being overrun, grab a meatshield.
Hail HYDRA!
#63SomboSteelPosted 1/12/2013 6:09:19 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
Aside from the beautiful and well designed world, I found Skyrim to be pretty soulless. Completely uninteresting story, no memorable or dynamic characters, the worst itemization of any Elder Scrolls (didn't they same they were going to add MORE items? There's a lot LESS of them), static, unrewarding combat, imbalanced skill trees, less variety in enemies and quests, etc. To top it off, I found it to be much less optimized than Oblivion. Plenty of bugs and random performance dips.

People will always disagree on comparisons between Morrowind and Oblivion but at least both of them had their own unique charm and plenty of memorable moments and experiences. Skyrim (for me at least) had none of that.

This was very well put. I agree with you
#64Sega9599Posted 1/12/2013 6:09:57 PM
Zipperbars posted...
Pong has better gameplay than this.

Until you explain this statement, you are Troll Until Proven Innocent.
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#65Cloud75xPosted 1/12/2013 6:20:12 PM
the OP is right...

this game has no face value when your character is lvl 5.
---
"That which does not become part of the one, shall become one with the void."
#66soral18Posted 1/12/2013 6:27:34 PM
BigE363 posted...
Have you seen Armand Christophe?

http://www.endores.com/staff/christophe.php?l=nl
---
May The Force Be With You
#67BlackWizardMagusPosted 1/12/2013 6:30:05 PM
Yeah, TC is right. Skyrim wasn't terrible, but I don't think I've ever played a GOTY/"perfect 10" game that was so undeserving of the title. Complaining about the graphics is silly, and since it's a Betheda games, any complaint about glitches is like complaining about linear gameplay in Call of Duty. But really, the rest of it, all the main stuff, was pretty so-so. It's almost a casual game, in a way; just good enough to keep playing, because you keep expecting something new and exciting and different, but that never happens. It's just tiny, incrimental changes to the same basic formula until everything dies. Except you can break this game by using any amount of intelligence in building your character.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#68mcpuppet101Posted 1/12/2013 6:35:10 PM
I think poster spent more time complaining and making this post then actually playing the game...besides waah this and waaah that about graphics and gameplay, Then get a PC you chump and use mods for better textures and more mobs...Skyrim still has some of the best graphics ive seen so this post was a null waste of time for anything other then a (blow raspberry) and a laugh.
#69Moi_ManPosted 1/12/2013 6:49:53 PM
Take a game that's okay, slap some popular names on it, have it endorsed by popular things, slap a decent coat of paint on it, and you get this.

I'd give it an 7/10. It's big, it's got good atmosphere, and it's customization of experience is interesting enough to make me play the prologue about ten different times, but I couldn't stay in it long enough to care.

But no. The most overrated game I've played this year was Need For Speed: Most Wanted. That was just plain poor.
---
This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Now, here I go! SHINING FINGER!!
#70MrCalcetoPosted 1/12/2013 6:50:28 PM
SomboSteel posted...
LaManoNeraII posted...
Aside from the beautiful and well designed world, I found Skyrim to be pretty soulless. Completely uninteresting story, no memorable or dynamic characters, the worst itemization of any Elder Scrolls (didn't they same they were going to add MORE items? There's a lot LESS of them), static, unrewarding combat, imbalanced skill trees, less variety in enemies and quests, etc. To top it off, I found it to be much less optimized than Oblivion. Plenty of bugs and random performance dips.

People will always disagree on comparisons between Morrowind and Oblivion but at least both of them had their own unique charm and plenty of memorable moments and experiences. Skyrim (for me at least) had none of that.

This was very well put. I agree with you

wait until the next TES comes out and youll feel the same way for Skyrim
nostalgia b***

also, TC the Skyward Sword board is that way ---------->
---
I made this sig just so people wouldn't ignore my posts...