Stormcloaks vs Imperials

#1KiddDaBeautyPosted 1/13/2013 6:35:24 PM
So the game starts out with what seems to be some kind of civil war. I like plots like that. But I must say I didn't really catch who was what, who was in power atm and which side is the rebel - why are the rebels rebelling?

I figure my character will have to make a choice in which side to support sooner or later so I wanna feel like I get this.
---
Everything that blooms will one day wither - Orochimaru
My dreams are of the past, and they'll remain so forever - Sasuke
#2Fate_AssassinPosted 1/13/2013 6:37:08 PM
inb4 Ulfricisracist
inb4 Imperialarethalmorpuppets
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
3/13/2013, shipment date
#3hoax123Posted 1/13/2013 6:38:54 PM
KiddDaBeauty posted...
why are the rebels rebelling?.

Because thats what rebels do...
---
Finally. Mars has accepted my sacrifices and unleashes me. - Legate Lanius
#4KiddDaBeauty(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 6:39:28 PM
This is my first TES since playing Daggerfall incredibly casually as a kid, so bear with me. No need to go incredibly in depth about backstories for things and whatnot.

The rebels are anti-racist? Which faction are the rebels?
---
#5zewhitguyPosted 1/13/2013 6:39:52 PM
Fate_Assassin posted...
inb4 Ulfricisracist
inb4 Imperialarethalmorpuppets

Ulfric is just a thalmor puppet ha
#6KiddDaBeauty(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 6:39:54 PM
hoax123 posted...
KiddDaBeauty posted...
why are the rebels rebelling?.

Because thats what rebels do...

It tends to have a better reason behind it than that =D People fight the power because they want something.
---
#7Yaki_OrpusPosted 1/13/2013 6:39:57 PM
The rebels are rebelling because the government won't let them touch kids inappropriately.

Join the imperials....for the children!
#8charon78auPosted 1/13/2013 6:40:09 PM
The Stormcloaks are the rebels.

The empire (of which, Skyrim is a part) signed a peace treaty with the Aldmerri Dominion (high elves), which amongst its terms, outlawed the worship of the 9th divine, Talos. Talos is a man who ascended to godhood. He is dear to the hearts of nords as he was nord (depending on whom you ask). Ulfric Stormcloak then used the outrage that this banning of Talos worship caused, as a rallying cry to form a rebellion, with which he hopes to further his own ambitions and ascend to the throne of Skyrim.
---
(Im)mature Aussie gamer. Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#9The_Ivory_ManPosted 1/13/2013 6:40:31 PM
KiddDaBeauty posted...
So the game starts out with what seems to be some kind of civil war. I like plots like that. But I must say I didn't really catch who was what, who was in power atm and which side is the rebel - why are the rebels rebelling?

I figure my character will have to make a choice in which side to support sooner or later so I wanna feel like I get this.

The Rebels are rebelling because Ulfric (their leader) was a veteran in the great war who was tortured by the Thalmor... Following the great war Talos worship was banned in the Empire but not enforced.

Ulfric seeing his chance for power found ancient rites and used them to force the young High King of Skyrim into a duel killing him with his sword and shout. Some people (a minority of Skyrim) backed up Ulfric

The Empire declared him an outlaw and finally kidnapped him at the start of Skyrim leading to the game's events...

That's about all the info summed up. I would recommend waiting and learning about the sides before leaning to one or the other (Also play both sides of the tutorial)
#10gunsndrosesPosted 1/13/2013 6:40:43 PM
Oh look, this topic!

*grabs popcorn*