So, as a pure mage, how good of an idea is vampirism? *small Dawnguard spoilers*

#1MalnourishedPosted 1/18/2013 2:21:19 AM
80/80

I'm best with Destruction and Alteration which are both nearly maxed out, and I'm playing the Dawnguard DLC, and am wondering if I should side with the vampires or the Dawnguard. I'm assuming there are good anti-vampire spells available for the Dawnguard folks, but I'd like to know what a mage would benefit from more from joining.
---
One more time, with feeling!
#2AnytePosted 1/18/2013 2:41:13 AM
The only benefit a mage would get from either side is the illusion bonus from Vampire.

Unless you're a crossbow wielding mage. Then Dawnguard.
#3drumble89Posted 1/18/2013 2:47:03 AM
They'd benefit from the Necromage perk as well
---
Shut up! You don't know nothin'.........'bout anythin' :3
GT: diabolus89
#4Mick65Posted 1/18/2013 2:50:47 AM
One of the rewards for a radiant quest from the Vampires is the erudite ring. Plus 100 magic and increased magicka regen. There is another ring, and two necklaces. These items keep there effect while in VL form. Also there is another quest that allows you to drain stamina and magicka with your life drain power.
The DG spells are sun spells. I believe they don't affect followers and bystanders. A cloak spell and a bolt and blast aprox = to the flame spells of the same level. They also have quest for good undead killing weapons.
I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff.
---
Casually Hardcore
#5Malnourished(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 2:56:04 AM
Oh. Well I don't use weapons, and stick to just magic, so any new spells are a plus, and that Erudite Ring sounds pretty good. But is that only if I become a Vampire Lord? Heeelllp.
---
#6Malnourished(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 3:18:47 AM
Also, Arvek is the best horse ever, so I'm assuming it doesn't matter who I join and that both the Dawnguard and the Vampire sides of the story get to go to the Soul Cairn, and once there, you can do whatever you want, right?
---
#7MrGazzoPosted 1/18/2013 3:23:52 AM
Malnourished posted...
Also, Arvek is the best horse ever, so I'm assuming it doesn't matter who I join and that both the Dawnguard and the Vampire sides of the story get to go to the Soul Cairn, and once there, you can do whatever you want, right?

Yes. of course, if you're roleplaying as a good guy then you better stop soul trapping people once you enter the Soul Cairn
---
Haytham Kenway = Roger Moore
#8Malnourished(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 4:35:15 AM
I'm... not roleplaying anything. I just want really good mage stuff. If anyone has a list handy for Dawnguard/Vampire goodies handy, that'd be helpful.
---
#9Muddy_WatersPosted 1/18/2013 4:59:01 AM
Search the board for "necromage build" and read up on it. The short version is as follows. The perk necromage makes spells 25% more effective vs undead. Being a vampire flags you as being undead. Thus all spells you cast on yourself (healing heals 25% more, stone flesh lasts 25% longer) and enchantments on your armor are 25% more. If your robes give you 100% manna regen, it will now be 125%. Like a poster before said there are some good rings and amulets but I would go vampire for the necromage perk (lvl 70 restoration perk btw) more so then the items you get.
---
BOS
#10thermopylaePosted 1/18/2013 6:51:22 AM
im making a dark elf mage just for this as that race fire resistance will help offset the vampires fire weakness.
---
The price of Victory is high, but so are the rewards.