How do you not shout Masks or Full Helmets off?

#31rx54Posted 1/25/2013 7:46:02 PM(edited)
When you ask Paarthurnax to meditate on the word "Yol" he says:

"In your tongue, the Word simply means "Fire." It is change given form. Power at its most primal. That is the true meaning of "Yol." Suleyk. Power. You have it, as do all dov. But power is inert without action and choice. Think of this as the fire builds in your su'um, in your breath. Su'um ahrk morah. What will you burn? What will you spare?"

The description says the same, and they were so certain of this is how it works they got it written down for Charles Martinet to say.

Though maybe this is incorrect too. Who knows anything.
---
Nobody is as funny as Greg Giraldo & Louis CK
Dubstep - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM60Sn8qxbM
#32RampagingwalrusPosted 1/25/2013 7:51:22 PM
If it actually turned your breath to fire, you would incinerate your throat and mouth, killing yourself.
Your breath becomes fire after it is expelled from the source.

Fus Ro Dah does not create a wall of force starting in your throat as the vibrations are tuned by your vocal chords.
It only becomes a wave of force once it is beyond your body.

Same with Ice Breath and Ice Form, you do not immediate kill yourself, because the magic forms the effects after the words have been formed, and your will is applied to them.
It is not the words themselves that are the Shouts, it is the application of will and control that fine tunes them.
That is how magic works.
Not raw power, but power that is controlled and focused towards a goal/effect.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#33rx54Posted 1/25/2013 8:10:34 PM
Rampagingwalrus posted...
If it actually turned your breath to fire, you would incinerate your throat and mouth, killing yourself.
Your breath becomes fire after it is expelled from the source.
Which is the mouth.

Fus Ro Dah does not create a wall of force starting in your throat as the vibrations are tuned by your vocal chords.
It only becomes a wave of force once it is beyond your body.
As soon as it exits your mouth.

Same with Ice Breath and Ice Form, you do not immediate kill yourself, because the magic forms the effects after the words have been formed, and your will is applied to them.
It is not the words themselves that are the Shouts.
I don't know about this considering most of the Greybeards are unable to even speak for the destruction their voice creates.

Bold = me

I was wondering if things like fire breath and such were only something the Dova can use, maybe not all shouts could be used by just normal Nords like Ulfric.

Then I looked some stuff up and realized the Greybeards can use Fire Breath and Ice Form. They are just normal people who study the Voice.
So there is some other random info.

The fact that you can shout through masks is just a developer oversight...
It's nit picking, I didn't even realize this until I saw this topic.

There is no big conspiracy magical black hole vortex of spawning the size of a grain of sand that appears 12 inches in front of peoples faces and throws the magic of the words they shouted. That's ridiculous.
It was a developer oversight is all...
---
#34rx54Posted 1/25/2013 8:17:04 PM
Where are all the self-acclaimed loremasters that used to be on this board?
---