Balbus just moved in to Heljarchen Hall

#1Smackdowner1Posted 1/29/2013 5:43:54 AM
His spawn was close by so I cast an illusion spell on him to get him to attack me, and led him to the house. Then I made him flee, and he ran inside.

I waited for eleven days in Solitude, and he was still there when I returned. I guess he's there for good. He'll use various objects around the house, so that's cool. I scared him into the basement and he went straight for the forge. I was thinking about keeping him there to deal with any rats that may appear, but I'm worried he could despawn when the game removes the Skeever corpses. Still, the possibility of having my own personal exterminator is intriguing. I'll create a separate save later to see what happens. I hope everything goes smoothly. It'd be nice to have a body in my cellar that's still breathing.

Any of you guys have random NPCs take up residence in your homes?
---
''Malice'' is a registered trademark of Smackdowner Inc.
All Rights Reserved 2002 - 2013
#2Kill_The_ChavPosted 1/29/2013 5:57:15 AM
m'aiq the liar wouldn't leave mine on one playthrough, he also wouldn't stop saying how Nords made him nervous which was a mild annoyance!
#3Smackdowner1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 6:03:44 AM
You had Maiq as a house cat? That's awesome. How'd that happen? Also, Nords make me nervous too.
---
#4Omni024Posted 1/29/2013 6:38:45 AM
Had a bandit run into my house...and then he dissapeared. For all I know he could still be hiding somewhere.
#5Hydroflame20Posted 1/29/2013 8:59:44 AM
Smackdowner1 posted...
His spawn was close by so I cast an illusion spell on him to get him to attack me, and led him to the house. Then I made him flee, and he ran inside.

I waited for eleven days in Solitude, and he was still there when I returned. I guess he's there for good. He'll use various objects around the house, so that's cool. I scared him into the basement and he went straight for the forge. I was thinking about keeping him there to deal with any rats that may appear, but I'm worried he could despawn when the game removes the Skeever corpses. Still, the possibility of having my own personal exterminator is intriguing. I'll create a separate save later to see what happens. I hope everything goes smoothly. It'd be nice to have a body in my cellar that's still breathing.

Any of you guys have random NPCs take up residence in your homes?

I have not but Lol this was very amusing to read thank you I may try this when I make a mage build.
---
Where you see a means to destroy, I see a way to control--to dominate and harness the Reapers' power. Imagine how strong humanity would be if we controlled them
#6Kill_The_ChavPosted 1/29/2013 10:19:08 AM
He happened to be near by during a dragon attack, tried to get involved then ran off into my house near falkreath, now he just won't leave.
#7FMLGPosted 1/29/2013 10:35:28 AM
So can someone make this happen on purpose?

Force people into your house, would be great with some followers.
---
Remember FMLG told ya!
Sometimes I miss drugs.Then I read gamefaqs. - Beery <3
#8masterpug53Posted 1/29/2013 12:57:47 PM
This post will probably go largely ignored as do most of my posts, but I've had pretty much since the game's release a sizable exploit that lets you settlement-build with respawning NPCs - I'm currently living out of Goldenglow Estate with a clan of around 70 NPCs keeping me company, including hunters, bandits, forsworn, conjurers, necromancers, and thalmor.

Problem is that patch 1.6 killed the exploit, ironically to make room for (what I reasonably assume to be) the movement and respawn scripting that resulted in such worthwhile additions as random vamp attacks >:( The catch is that the patch does not directly affect NPCs when the patch is applied later, so you can do the exploit on an unpatched character, add the patch when you're done, and they (should) still hang around.

More on-topic, I recently did this with Balbus for my Goldenglow settlement, leading him from his spawn point near Pinewatch all the way to Goldenglow. At first it was pretty cool in that he would use the grindstone, chop wood, and feed the chickens, but nowadays he just loiters against a nearby post like the lazy bum he is. Still, one more body around doesn't hurt.
---
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.
#9Smackdowner1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 9:06:43 PM(edited)
masterpug53 posted...
This post will probably go largely ignored as do most of my posts, but I've had pretty much since the game's release a sizable exploit that lets you settlement-build with respawning NPCs - I'm currently living out of Goldenglow Estate with a clan of around 70 NPCs keeping me company, including hunters, bandits, forsworn, conjurers, necromancers, and thalmor.

Problem is that patch 1.6 killed the exploit, ironically to make room for (what I reasonably assume to be) the movement and respawn scripting that resulted in such worthwhile additions as random vamp attacks >:( The catch is that the patch does not directly affect NPCs when the patch is applied later, so you can do the exploit on an unpatched character, add the patch when you're done, and they (should) still hang around.

More on-topic, I recently did this with Balbus for my Goldenglow settlement, leading him from his spawn point near Pinewatch all the way to Goldenglow. At first it was pretty cool in that he would use the grindstone, chop wood, and feed the chickens, but nowadays he just loiters against a nearby post like the lazy bum he is. Still, one more body around doesn't hurt.

I actually remember reading a few of your posts about your dead thrall collection, but not on how to build a settlement. If I recall correctly, you had a lengthy topic about 1.3 ruining your plans.

They're actually walking around? I'm interested. Mind sharing how it's done?
---
#10masterpug53Posted 1/30/2013 12:41:37 PM
Smackdowner1 posted...
I actually remember reading a few of your posts about your dead thrall collection, but not on how to build a settlement. If I recall correctly, you had a lengthy topic about 1.3 ruining your plans.

They're actually walking around? I'm interested. Mind sharing how it's done?

Only Balbus is (or was) walking around - the rest just loiter in place.

Sigar (a random enc who spawns after completing Namira's quest) is the only other one I've found with active movement - wait ten days after spawning him, reanimate and lead the dead Altmer he spawns with and dump her wherever you want Sigar to remain, and after a bit he will appear next to her and remain in the general area. He will also appropriate any latent movement scripting of the area - I had him in my Rannveig's Fast lair last play through and he copied Sild's movements, using the alchemy table and running his hands over the shelves.

Haven't actually tried to lead other NPCs like M'iaq for purposes of settlement-building, because I've had such little luck with the fleeing mechanic in FO3 and NV (I don't think pursuing NPCs will just follow you through doorways in Skyrim, so fear is necessary to get them through doorways). So I'll have to try that sometime; can't now, because my settlement is already built, and it's almost impossible to do these things out of order.

But onto the meat of the subject - basically in an unpatched game, you kill and thrall / ritual a respawning NPC, lead them to wherever you want them to stand in your house / settlement and re-kill them, stay away long enough to allow them to respawn (ten days; waiting manually is always preferred to just continuing to play for the ten-day period), and return. The NPC should have respawned, and due to a scripting bug, will stand in place indefinitely.

However, this is a very fragile exploit even in the unpatched game, and a number of things can undo the scripting bug and cause the NPCs to walk home. They tend to shift slightly in where they're standing whenever you reenter the cell, and anything that causes them to take normal action will give them back their scripting, such as being forced to open a closed door, bending down to inspect a corpse, reacting to a spell being cast (quiet casting is an absolute must), etc. Hell, one time I killed Karita (presumably in the middle of a song) and brought her home, and sure enough, there was enough latent scripting on her corpse to make all my hang-around NPCs in the area submit to the 'revelry' scripting (raising mugs and stuff), after which they walked right on home.

Also, while I said that this glitch still works on a patched game as long as you complete it before adding the patch, it's not without new and exciting limitations. By and large, you cannot fast-travel to the vicinity of any spawn point from which you drew your NPCs, nor can you f-t to the vicinity of any outdoor locations in which you have built a settlement. Doing so will cause the NPCs who spawned there (or in the latter case, any glitched NPCs in the area) to get teleported right next to you, ruining the glitch. Say that you gathered the 3 bandits from Four Skull Lookout and then f-t'ed there later - they would get sucked right out of your settlement and

Truth be told I haven't had a chance to fully test the above problem yet - it may be that you can't even walk in the vicinity of the spawn points or enter any nearby cells without triggering this pull-back, which would pretty much kill the whole thing. I'm hoping that's not the case. Still, it would behoove you on a patched game to only fast-travel to and from the insides of walled cities and walk / ride everywhere else.
---
Simple questions deserve long-winded answers that no one will bother to read.