Well that's highly irritating (Re: TES:O and lore)

#141XydruPosted 1/30/2013 12:42:34 AM
RebelElite791 posted...
Xydru posted...
I was under the impression that when Talos changed Cyrodil it worked retroactively in time, for whatever reason. If that's not the case, then I'm assuming that'll be the explanation now.

I'd be okay with that (but that also brings up the question of mortals in current Tamriel knowing it happened, lol), but "transcription error in the book" is their explanation now.

Yeah, but if they actually wanted to say that they'd come up with some weird convoluted explanation regarding linear/nonlinear time/history/whatever.

I'm kinda hoping they fix that detail up, because they already have bad rep just for existing/touching TES. And because it's not hard to turn and say "err.. I mean, CHIM did it.". I'd rather have that than "we dun goofed!".
---
... and that was the second time I got crabs.
#142Nasir23Posted 1/30/2013 12:50:18 AM
Ajd_King posted...
Smackpwn posted...
Sounds to me like butthurt Skyrim players that cannot experience the new stories and adventures in the next installment of the The Elder Scrolls Series so are trying desperatly to discredit the lore of ESO

I think it's more likely people are passionate about this series and don't like it when retcons are made, and when fairly important events in the series are brushed over or ignored to make it easier for developers.

Reminds me of WoW, now that I think about it.

I'm just surprised you guys care so much about what Zenimax intends on doing to a game that isn't even a part of the main installments.

Wait for an official statement from Bethesda, or for the next installment of Elder Scrolls to see whether its canon or not. If they do end up treating it as canon, Bethesda can easily say something along the lines of "Dragon-break" and all is okay again.

Until then disregard it.

More than half the people playing ESO will not be playing for Lore. People don't usually play MMOs for story/lore, they're the ones Zenimax are catering to and I don't think you should blame them.

Its not such a huge deal.

There are tons of material out there that are leagues better than Elder Scrolls stuff. Consider picking one of them up.
---
GT: l The Raven l
#143Ajd_KingPosted 1/30/2013 1:03:17 AM(edited)
Nasir23 posted...
I'm just surprised you guys care so much about what Zenimax intends on doing to a game that isn't even a part of the main installments.

Welcome to the internet.

Wait for an official statement from Bethesda, or for the next installment of Elder Scrolls to see whether its canon or not. If they do end up treating it as canon, Bethesda can easily say something along the lines of "Dragon-break" and all is okay again.

Until then disregard it.

Until they decanonise it we should wait for them to decanonise it, never expressing a desire for it to be decanonised.

K.

More than half the people playing ESO will not be playing for Lore. People don't usually play MMOs for story/lore, they're the ones Zenimax are catering to and I don't think you should blame them.

Dodgy reasoning. If they aren't going to take the series seriously in the making of their MMO, then they should do a new series (same logic applies to Bethesda's Fallouts as well). Zenimax obviously have a different vision of what they want their fantasy series to be, one where the orcs and redguards respect each other, where the altmer are much more akin to LOTR elves, where the argonians are willing to fight all the way into Cyrodiil's heart, where the dunmer are willing to drop their racism and slavery immediately and work with their former slaves, where Cyrodiil was never a jungle, etc.

If they want to make these changes, why not do their own series rather than change just enough of the current one to mess with continuity and people that are already invested? The answer is because it makes their job easier, as they don't want to flesh out their own universe, so they're taking their own Tamriel in a different direction to current Tamriel, which people understandably don't want.

There are tons of material out there that are leagues better than Elder Scrolls stuff. Consider picking one of them up.

And I like plenty of food more than McDonald's cheeseburgers, but if McDonald's announced that they are making vegetable milkshakes rather than burgers, I'd be annoyed.
---
One Bran to rule them all, One Bran to find them, One Bran to bring them all and in the weirwood bind them.
#144Nasir23Posted 1/30/2013 1:11:15 AM
Ajd_King posted...
Nasir23 posted...

Welcome to the internet.

Until then disregard it.

Until they decanonise it we should wait for them to decanonise it, never expressing a desire for it to be decanonised.

K.

Dodgy reasoning. If they aren't going to take the series seriously in the making of their MMO, then they should do a new series (same logic applies to Bethesda's Fallouts as well). Zenimax obviously have a different vision of what they want their fantasy series to be, one where the orcs and redguards respect each other, where the altmer are much more akin to LOTR elves, where the argonians are willing to fight all the way into Cyrodiil's heart, where the dunmer are willing to drop their racism and slavery immediately and work with their former slaves, where Cyrodiil was never a jungle, etc.

If they want to make these changes, why not do their own series rather than change just enough of the current one to mess with continuity and people that are already invested?

And I like plenty of food more than McDonald's cheeseburgers, but if McDonald's announced that they are making vegetable milkshakes rather than burgers, I'd be annoyed.

In the end, Bethesda gave them license to do what they pleased when it came to Lore. I'm certain they run it by Bethesda before confirming anything.

I don't think all this would've gotten this far without their approval. So either it is a retcon, or a not canon.

And yes, enough talk about ESO being untrue to Lore.

Ever since the factions were announced, people didn't take ESO seriously.

What you guys are complaining about has been discussed a hundred times over.

Leave it be and look forward to Bethesda's next official installment.
---
GT: l The Raven l
#145SeaArrKingPosted 1/30/2013 1:35:07 AM
Ajd_King posted...
Nasir23 posted...

Holy moly, the McDonald's analogy has made my night. Kudos, man.
---
Maybe you'll ask me to come back again and maybe I'll say "Maybe."
3DS Friend Code: 0989-2264-8970
#146ALLENO31Posted 1/30/2013 3:35:18 AM
i would put rebel on the story team......his concept of the lore surpass the entire bethesda team
---
if you want to join the Bar With No Name just PM me :)
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s464/ALLENO31/A7l71fNCYAEJDA9.jpg
#147NateRose89Posted 1/30/2013 4:25:41 AM
RebelElite791 posted...
Apparently MK offered/asked to help/work/consult on it and was turned down the same day they officially announced it, in favor of some random dude to play "loremaster."

LOL. Joke developers

Stormvale12 posted...
I've heard that Morrowind was the one that retconned it to a jungle in the first place.

It was still referred to as a jungle in Morrowind, IIRC.

And the thing is, it was retconned *in lore* as Talos using CHIM to alter it, which would mean it should be a jungle still in pre-Talos times.

"Second, and also very important: we treat the history of Tamriel as if it were just as solid and real as Earth history."

Apparently not.

Perhaps with CHIM when something is changed, it is changed past, present and future.
---
"I am no knight. I spit on them and their vows." Sandor Clegane, 1996.
#148The_Beer_ScotchPosted 1/30/2013 5:47:58 AM
RebelElite791 posted...
https://twitter.com/TESOnline/status/265849694708719616

Irritating that they're trying to take the "nope it was never a jungle even though it's a well-established fact that it was and Talos changed that lol"

And that the team at TES:O at least seems to think everything in Online is canon.

It begins...
---
To be announced
#149Brenz0rPosted 1/30/2013 5:51:35 AM(edited)
By setting our game in the series’ distant past, we avoid placing constraints on future BGS titles.

By setting it in the past, they are literally writing history that future titles will have to account for and be constrained by, unless said future titles choose to ignore what TES:O does, Dragon Break it and move on, or have some other event happen that renders it all irrelevant. And taking either of those options will defeat the purpose of using the time they've chosen in the first place. That's about as much as I care to say on the matter - I don't know who Schick is, and nothing he's said, written or overseen gives me any kind of faith in TES:O.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#150The_Beer_ScotchPosted 1/30/2013 5:54:53 AM
kamahl25 posted...
RebelElite791 posted...
spacecowboy44 posted...
cry more...the game isnt out yet...give it a chance...and who cares if it breaks a made up story

People that are fans of the games and not unoriginal trolls.

And it's not like they're going to change everything they've established in the next few months.

Why are people trolls because they don't agree with you rebel, I understand your frustrations but some people don't quite as angry as you do about the lore. I enjoy the lore as much as the next guy but if they change some things it's not going to break the game, I play it mainly for the rpg and what I can do in game, the lore is just like a nice bonus to me not something that makes or breaks a game.

And some people take a huge enjoyment in the lore, and are entitled to be disgruntled when a greedy parent company tears outnthe spine of the series in order to tryband turn a buck.
---
To be announced