Well that's highly irritating (Re: TES:O and lore)

#221turn_basedPosted 1/30/2013 5:54:28 PM(edited)
mandalore2385 posted...
@rx54...
The problem isn't the multiplayer because ESO is a spinoff. What we're worried about is the lore of the SERIES as a whole and how it might affect future games in the TES Main series.

Had to edit here:

If everyone agrees it's a spin-off, then all you need to do is look at other franchises that were changed or outright destroyed by a single spin-off.

Might not be that many but I'm not big on pop culture and fantasy stuff outside of games, so I really can't say yay or nay....

I
---
Redguards Rule!
#222mandalore2385Posted 1/30/2013 5:50:33 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
mandalore2385 posted...
@rx54...
The problem isn't the multiplayer because ESO is a spinoff. What we're worried about is the lore of the SERIES as a whole and how it might affect future games in the TES Main series.

Thank you

You're welcome
#223darkportal785Posted 1/30/2013 5:52:37 PM
SoulOfFayth posted...
You people have no right to determine what people may and may not discuss. The mind is a free country.

It's so futile to try to control strangers over the internet.

I really enjoy this anyway because I am actually being serious right now, it is very very odd to me that multiplayer did not seem like a problem because I have NEVER seen a topic on these boards suggesting multiplayer that wasn't bashed, shot down and destroyed by nearly 99% of people.

Clearly things i've done in the past have made some sort of an impact because people get unpleasant when I come around even if I am being serious. That makes me smile.

I've openly admitted that I troll alot, but not 100% of the time.
People are very black and white, apparently if you are a troll you are incapable of ever posting a serious message. You are a troll or you're not.

You could say i'm an off duty troll right now if you want, idc.
I don't troll people who I don't think I can troll, or that I like.

I know I could bother rebel because i've always sensed a bit of an ego, so obviously destroying his topics and such would easily frustrate him.

I'm not even doing that right now though and he is getting mad.
I don't even have to put any effort in and this isn't even what I was going for.
He's just giving me satisfaction from things I have done weeks and months ago.

You're a troll. And a bad one at that. No one cares or values what you have to say. "lul i'm not serious in dis topic but am not troll all the time. hurr durr am geting rabel madd, hehe" is your default argument in every topic you post in once someone calls you out for trolling. You are a troll all the time. Period.

Multiplayer in a main series game =/= Multiplayer in a spin-off game, your argument has no f***ing basis other than your own idiotic misconceptions over why people are irritated over this.
---
Hey! Who's that thinkin' nasty thoughts?
#224rx54Posted 1/30/2013 5:53:52 PM
mandalore2385 posted...
@rx54...

I suppose this makes sense.
I'd still be interested to see how this would blow over if it happened in one of the main games of the series.

One thing though
RebelElite791 posted...
Multiplayer in the main series =/= multiplayer in an offshoot MMO. That DOES NOT EFFECT us in any way if we choose not to play it. Changing lore, however, DOES.

The bold would apply to the same thing if they did put multiplayer in a main game of the series, because obviously it would still have single player and nobody would force you to play the multiplayer.

I've never understood the harm multiplayer would create, I think it would benefit everyone.
If you like multiplayer, you can play it. If you don't like it, just don't play it.

Logically that should make everybody happy.
---
Nobody is as funny as Greg Giraldo & Louis CK
Dubstep - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTLjEqj5Xk
#225The_Beer_ScotchPosted 1/30/2013 5:54:32 PM
kamahl25 posted...
wait a minute beer scotch is there actually a book about elder scrolls and if there is where can i get it lol

There is some books that tell the atory between oblivion and skyrim, like what happened in morrowind, google them :p
---
To be announced
#226mandalore2385Posted 1/30/2013 5:58:07 PM(edited)
turn_based posted...
mandalore2385 posted...
@rx54...

Is it part of the series?

ES I, II, III, IV, ? ES:O isn't a numbered entry...

Not wanting to sound sarcastic, but how much impact can an offshoot/spin-off game have on the mother ship?

Unless Beth or Zeni Cleary State that ESO has seperate lore from TES 1-5, then they share the same lore. and Zeni has already claimed to be staying true to lore.
#227turn_basedPosted 1/30/2013 5:58:52 PM
mandalore2385 posted...
turn_based posted...
mandalore2385 posted...
@rx54...

Not wanting to sound sarcastic, but how much impact can an offshoot/spin-off game have on the mother ship?

Unless Beth or Zeni Cleary State that ESO has seperate lore from TES 1-6, then they share the same lore. and Zeni has already claimed to be staying true to lore.

And? That doesn't answer the question as to whether or not, this particular spin-off, will have any impact on the series.

Sharing and influencing are not one and the same. (Which, I know you know, I just said that to make the point.)
---
Redguards Rule!
#228konokonohamaruPosted 1/30/2013 6:00:27 PM
rx54 posted...

I've never understood the harm multiplayer would create, I think it would benefit everyone.
If you like multiplayer, you can play it. If you don't like it, just don't play it.

The common argument is that multiplayer development takes time away from single player development. To me, that is an ok argument, but it is not really why I react so negatively to multiplayer.

To me, the problem with multiplayer is that it either signals a change in Bethesda's mentality, or it signals a change in the market demand for games, neither of which I would be happy with.

If there's no change in the demand for games, then Beth going multiplayer signals a strategy of going after a broader and more casual audience in order to achieve more profits. I worry about the slippery slope of further casualization of the series... which has already been going on for a while.

If there's no change in Beth's mentality, then that means the demand for multiplayer has become so great that Beth just cannot ignore it any longer. I don't welcome this development because I am not the type of person who likes multiplayer, and I often find my tastes to be very different from the kinds of people who do enjoy multiplayer. If gamers who are not like me become such a driving force of the marketplace, there are going to be fewer and fewer games that cater to my taste. It's already happening in fact.

Hopefully this helps you understand why someone like me reacts so negatively to multiplayer in TES.
#229clone11Posted 1/30/2013 6:02:05 PM
turn_based posted...
mandalore2385 posted...
turn_based posted...
mandalore2385 posted...
@rx54...

Unless Beth or Zeni Cleary State that ESO has seperate lore from TES 1-6, then they share the same lore. and Zeni has already claimed to be staying true to lore.

And? That doesn't answer the question as to whether or not, this particular spin-off, will have any impact on the series.

Sharing and influencing are not one and the same. (Which, I know you know, I just said that to make the point.)

It's already been stated in this thread that Zenimax has claimed that TES:O will be canon. If it is canon, that means it will have an impact on the series as a whole, unless Bethesda completely retcons it.

It wouldn't hurt to at least read the thread first, you know?
---
"Bravery is by far the kindest word for stupidity..."
#230mandalore2385Posted 1/30/2013 6:03:39 PM
konokonohamaru posted...
rx54 posted...

The common argument is that multiplayer development takes time away from single player development. To me, that is an ok argument, but it is not really why I react so negatively to multiplayer.

To me, the problem with multiplayer is that it either signals a change in Bethesda's mentality, or it signals a change in the market demand for games, neither of which I would be happy with.

If there's no change in the demand for games, then Beth going multiplayer signals a strategy of going after a broader and more casual audience in order to achieve more profits. I worry about the slippery slope of further casualization of the series... which has already been going on for a while.

If there's no change in Beth's mentality, then that means the demand for multiplayer has become so great that Beth just cannot ignore it any longer. I don't welcome this development because I am not the type of person who likes multiplayer, and I often find my tastes to be very different from the kinds of people who do enjoy multiplayer. If gamers who are not like me become such a driving force of the marketplace, there are going to be fewer and fewer games that cater to my taste. It's already happening in fact.

Hopefully this helps you understand why someone like me reacts so negatively to multiplayer in TES.

This.