Well that's highly irritating (Re: TES:O and lore)

#41RebelElite791(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 4:51:09 PM
SoulOfFayth posted...
Boohoo someone doesn't agree with me.

Bethesda writes the goddamn lore, if by the next game they say 'yeah right and thunder is Thor throwing his hammer. No kids, this is how it really is' then that's how it is and you just have to swallow that. As long as they come up with an explanation.

Bethesda isn't writing this..."lore." Zenimax is.

And the thing is, they AREN'T coming up with explanations. If they said "Talos retroactively turned it to how it is now" that'd be fine. "It's a transcription error" is a blatant copout.

As is turning the Altmer into almost benevolent Tolkienesque elves who only look down on men "because they're young and inexperienced" and ride graceful swan ships around. Hell that's bordering on plagiarism.

They're neglecting to stick to previous lore for the sake of taking the generic, homogenized easy road rather than doing service to the fans and the lore.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#42agentspoonPosted 1/29/2013 5:00:02 PM
I will agree that what they are doing reeks of TLotR and aiming it towards casuals who when they think of Elves think of the ones from TLotR films.

And I also agree that they are bastardising the Lore to appeal to the mass market but if Bethesda say its canon, its canon my friend.
---
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!
#43FOGEDABOUDITPosted 1/29/2013 5:03:43 PM
When they say swallow, you swallow.
---
I do so love Riften. I journeyed here in my youth. A thief took my purse... so I took his eyes. It was a fair exchange.
#44YuriSenpaiPosted 1/29/2013 5:21:55 PM
I'm not acknowledging TESO as canon in any way. It is a monstrosity lore-wise, and from what I've seen, gameplay-wise as well.

Why can't we just have another game that plays like and has lore like Morrowind?
---
Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.
#45garlog64Posted 1/29/2013 5:22:11 PM
agentspoon posted...
I will agree that what they are doing reeks of TLotR and aiming it towards casuals who when they think of Elves think of the ones from TLotR films.

I'm pretty sure every high fantasy setting in any media reeks of TLotR. TLotR is what started the whole "humans, elves and other races live in a medieval environment with magic and gods and such" thing.
---
"Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain. CHOCOLATE. RAIN!" Pinkie Pie
Royal Weapons Smith of the OoT 3D board
#46RebelElite791(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 5:23:58 PM
garlog64 posted...
agentspoon posted...

I'm pretty sure every high fantasy setting in any media reeks of TLotR. TLotR is what started the whole "humans, elves and other races live in a medieval environment with magic and gods and such" thing.

Uhh, no it didn't.

But TES's setting never closely resembled LOTR in any way except the most basic ways (elves). This, however, is far too close for comfort.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#47The_Ivory_ManPosted 1/29/2013 5:28:08 PM
Daaaammmnnnnn

Haven't been following but this sounds terrible! Have they said anything about the Dunmer and Argonian and Nord team up yet?
#48NicodaemosPosted 1/29/2013 5:29:05 PM
We all knew it was going to happen. MMOs have a way of taking a **** on pre-established lore.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#49SoulOfFaythPosted 1/29/2013 5:29:30 PM
Well yeah the whole Elve metamorphosis is a little stupid. As for the lore, I can only hope Bethesda will get a final say in it and make sure it doesn't get too ridiculous. But I guess I consider TES online to be more of a spinoff than a canon game.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#50The_Ivory_ManPosted 1/29/2013 5:34:24 PM
SoulOfFayth posted...
Well yeah the whole Elve metamorphosis is a little stupid. As for the lore, I can only hope Bethesda will get a final say in it and make sure it doesn't get too ridiculous. But I guess I consider TES online to be more of a spinoff than a canon game.

Spinoffs can still be canon....