Well that's highly irritating (Re: TES:O and lore)

#71The_Ivory_ManPosted 1/29/2013 7:21:32 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
GriffRoberts posted...
Well, this has me nervous for whatever's in store for the lore. Hopefully they'll be able to say Talos changed it rectroactively, but "It's always been temperate forests, shut up" isn't a good excuse.

I don't know much about what they're doing with the Altmer, but it doesn't sound great. I can deal with aesthetic changes, but they can't just make them generic elves.

And what surprises me about the Khajiit is that I didn't already figure they would get shafted.

They said they're not ruling out adding the other forms in the future, and they're not being de-canoned, so it's not a huge deal to me.

The Ebonheart Pact, I really have no problem with.

Ra Gada/Orc thing is stupid. But yeah, the Summerset/Altmer bastardization is probably the worst offender so far.

So Orcs and Redguards are best friends? Altmer are the regular Elves? And you have no problems with the Ebonheart pact?
#72GriffRobertsPosted 1/29/2013 7:23:21 PM
I can deal with the Ebonheart Pact, because "the enemies of my enemies are my friends" is a tried and true trope. But saying the Orcs and Redguards have ever respected each other is just straight up wrong.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#73RampagingwalrusPosted 1/29/2013 7:23:34 PM
The fact that the game takes place in an unrecorded part of history pretty much guarantees that the game is either not canon, or that nothing of interest will take place.
Because if something "big" did occur, then it would be recorded.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#74CrimsonCorpPosted 1/29/2013 7:27:32 PM
clone11 posted...
CrimsonCorp posted...
clone11 posted...
Ah, Rebel, I know the feeling. This was me when they started revealing lore details about SW:TOR.

Bastards.. Making Revan a typical Sith Minion... Blgkdgjflj...

And that Revan tie-in novel...

The Exile was an awesome character, what the hell were they thinking? I will always hate swotr with a passion. It's tough for me to play KOTOR 1 and 2 today, knowing what eventually comes to pass.

I never even read the novel, because I heard terrible things about it. I'm surprised it was even bad, after the Bane novels being so good.

I have the same problem, though I've been playing them recently. Personally, I just pretend TOR is non-canon fanfiction.. In a perfect world, it would be.

Couldn't agree more, those bane Novels were something special. I've gotta reread them again some day.

I like your non-canon approach. I suppose having the Kotor storyline end at Malachor V is infinitely better than swotr.
---
"In the Grim Darkness of the far future... there is only awesome"
#75Curved_Sw0rdPosted 1/29/2013 7:33:33 PM
Akaviri Panda-People.

I bet a few of your had a stroke at the mere thought of it...
---
Doesn't matter, had sex. - darkportal785
#76The_Ivory_ManPosted 1/29/2013 7:40:21 PM
Curved_Sw0rd posted...
Akaviri Panda-People.

I bet a few of your had a stroke at the mere thought of it...

Nope hasn't been a repeated joke for years
#77parradox1992Posted 1/29/2013 7:57:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyMB19q7ms
---
This statement is false.
#78RebelElite791(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 8:02:20 PM
parradox1992 posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyMB19q7ms

One character being omitted =/= retconning vast swaths of lore.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#7995_EclipsePosted 1/29/2013 8:20:59 PM
My only true worry is that this will negatively effect the next ES game, I suspect another MMO flop (MMO Devs just keep making the same game with different art and wondering why it fails), and I do worry the financial loss could effect ES VI.

Never mind the potential lore screwing.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#80GriffRobertsPosted 1/29/2013 8:31:13 PM
My only true worry is that this will negatively effect the next ES game, I suspect another MMO flop (MMO Devs just keep making the same game with different art and wondering why it fails), and I do worry the financial loss could effect ES VI.

Never mind the potential lore screwing.

Well, I think they'll be able to cushion that blow, if it really ends up flopping. It shouldn't have an effect on Bethesda Game Studios, since they're having a completely different developer focus on it, plus the single-player TES games already make mountains of money.

I don't think TESO will be a huge flop in the first place, though. I'm still confident in the gameplay. Admittedly, the lore floops have me worried, and they don't have the best implications for how the provinces are designed.
---
I didn't edit my sig this time, but I'm trying out the sig rotation thing.