Conan the Barbarian Role Play

#1PhilBuchanon4lifePosted 1/29/2013 7:46:48 PM
I watched the movie last night and want to make a Conan character. I'll use all three weapon skills and both armors. Probably Alchemy for healing. Mainly Health and Stamina.

As far as RP is concerned definitely Thieves Guild, MQ, Companions, and probably Dark Brotherhood since Conan would do it for the gold/gems.

Would you think Stormcloak or Imperials?? Anything else I should definitely do/consider?

Thanks
---
Between the historical success of the Celtics, recent domination by the Pats, and success of the Sox, Boston is the greatest sports city in the world
#2CaIiber345Posted 1/29/2013 8:13:02 PM
http://www.entertainmentbuddha.com/how-to-make-your-skyrim-character-look-like-arnold-in-conan-the-barbarian/

My Conan is a Warrior Thief. Member of the Thieves Guild. I like the original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard, so I try to Roleplay him that way. Conan wasn't just a dumb brute; he could read and write, and understood politics as well as war strategy. He started as a petty thief, and eventually took the crown of Aquilonia.

Also, the Fur Armor with no top is good if you're going off of the movies for appearances. I wear it when in towns. Circlets work well too, specifically the one with the red stone.

I avoid the Civil War with him, since there's no option to become High King ourselves.
---
When all else fails, and you're being overrun, grab a meatshield.
Hail HYDRA!
#3RampagingwalrusPosted 1/29/2013 8:15:44 PM
CaIiber345 posted...
Conan wasn't just a dumb brute; he could read and write, and understood politics as well as war strategy. He started as a petty thief, and eventually took the crown of Aquilonia.

Heh, so given Schwarzenegger's history, they actually got the perfect man to portray Conan in the movies.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#4RebelElite791Posted 1/29/2013 8:27:59 PM
Rampagingwalrus posted...
CaIiber345 posted...
Conan wasn't just a dumb brute; he could read and write, and understood politics as well as war strategy. He started as a petty thief, and eventually took the crown of Aquilonia.

Heh, so given Schwarzenegger's history, they actually got the perfect man to portray Conan in the movies.

SHOTS FIRED
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#5PhilBuchanon4life(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 10:50:06 PM
That's what I was thinking. Leather or fur armor for towns and dungeons. Scale or mail for open world.
---
Opening a Vietnamese restaurant named "Vietnoms"
#6blutoblutarskyXPosted 1/30/2013 12:00:12 AM
A Conan based on reh would be "panther like"

No alchemy or magic skills. Natural healing only.

Master all warrior and thief skills.

You may never use shouts. Magic or not Conan is not dragon born.

while on occasion Conan used magic weapons- this was severely limited (pheonix on the sword) to immediate needs. No magic weapons or armor.

Wear skyrim clothing and any non magic armor.
While fantasy artists like franz frazetta popularized the image of a loincloth wearing barbarian, Conan typically wore the clothing of the land. And armor if available but many of his adventures were at times or just happened when armor wasn't available.

If you want more flexability use his son prince conn and develop a backstory that makes sense since conn is less defined but still Carrie many of conans traits and you can add the rest.

As far as the civil war Conan could lside with either for different reaons:

the imperials.
Being the mercenary that he is, He would go where the money is and the imperials have money (at least ideally- in game rewards are comparable and irrelevant).

Stormcloacks.
He couldn't care less about thier cause but his desire for revenge against general tullius for the personal torture and flogging he was given by the general after his capture. Conan would see the generals head upon a pike before the month was out.

It's difficult to play as a chat distrusting of magic in skyrim because its so commonplace and intertwined with the world.

I have a leliana character and playing with the attitude of magic being dangerous and mages not to be trusted and in need of control is somewhat similar in at its core it's a distrust in magic but for different reasons (religious reaons) than Conans. Unlike Conan however distrust of enchanted weapons and elixirs is not present.
#7blutoblutarskyXPosted 1/30/2013 12:07:11 AM
Conan was better suited for oblivion IMO because you weren't required to be involved in having and using magical powers to progress the main quest (except the tutorial).

Any use of magic was of items and could fall under the "necessary evil" category which many of rehs source material supports.

Depends on the time of his life you use too. If you make a 60+ Conan based on expanded material like Conan of the isles (de camp) you could be more flexible too.

He was definately more than a dumb brute- actually the fact that many saw him as that and assumed it was used by Conan as an advantage against them.
#8linktwoPosted 1/30/2013 1:28:22 AM
You could ignore the tutorial magic prompt in oblivion.
---
GT:ElderSpiritWolf
()xxxxxxxxx[l}::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
#9PhilBuchanon4life(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 8:27:16 AM
Awesome! You guys have been more than helpful. And troll-free!!
---
Opening a Vietnamese restaurant named "Vietnoms"