Nord Racism Is Justified

#1Omni024Posted 1/30/2013 3:55:50 AM
After reading all of these topics about how people don't want to join the Stormcloaks because the Nords are racist, it has become apparent to me through observing how the different races live up to the stereotypes that they are labeled with, that perhaps the Nords are justified in their suspicions.
Now ,that doesn't leave the Nords off the hook when it comes to their own faults. Yes, it is true that they consider honor and tradition above all else as the guiding principles one should follow throughout their lives. But they are stubborn to the point of arrogance and quick to retaliate if they feel someone has insulted their said honor. At one point it's even said that Ulfric himself falsely imprisoned and executed those whom he thought we're Forsworn sympathizers during his brief occupation of Markarth. Justice is only blind if one seeks it out in anger, which is unfortunately Ulfric's largest fault. But for all that, The Nords do have valid points about the other races that live throughout Skyrim.
Let's start with the other human races.
Imperials, Bretons and Redguards are allowed to live throughout the holds and villages of Skyrim just like any other Nord. You can find many of these races married to one another and generally co-existing with one another. There might be some suspicion when it comes to Imperials, but that is sensible seeing as how a Civil War is taking place. People are going to take sides, there will be suspicions all around. It's natural for that to occur. For the most part though, all human races treat each other fairly.
But now we come to the Elves.
Altmer are still allowed to live inside the Holds and Cities. There is some hostility towards their race, but that most likely comes from the problems the Thalmor are causing. These arrogant High Elves are basically coming into Skyrim and telling the Nords who they can and can't worship. And so, The Altmer who are not associated with the Thalmor may be incorrectly grouped with them. It's not right, but that is the kind of unrest the Thalmor want to create.
The Bosmeri are also allowed to live in the cities and most seem to tolerate them, but they are clearly for the most part, left to their own devices. For the most part, they are part of the working class, but they don't seem to complain about that much. Because of this there really isn't much hostility toward them.
The Dunmer however are treated much worst then some of their elvish cousins. Most of the time you see them working menial jobs. For the most part, Nords label them as beggars and thieves. Now that's not to say there aren't some notable Dark Elves who challenge this stereotype. There's one who is even a Housecarl. (( Though quickly deposed if you side with the Stormcloaks.)) But most of the time through interaction, you can find that they have some rather duplicitous intentions. Most of the time, I find myself being either asked to steal things or to correct their mistakes. There is even a tome you can find where the author denounces Nords, saying that the Dark elf population is slowly taking over Windhelm from the inside. Whatever the case may be, it would help their standing in Skyrim if they we're to be be a little less backstabbing a little bit more up front.
#2Omni024(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 3:56:14 AM
Now let's go over the Beast Races.
There are few Orcs who actually live in the Holds, but this fact shows that they are trusted enough to be allowed to live there. Most of the time, with rare exceptions, they work the Smithery or the mines. Their presence can be unnerving to some, and on the occasion where they hold any supervisory jobs they can be a bit intimidating and overbearing. But for the most part they are tolerated.
Argonians tend to be looked down upon. If they do live in cities, it's in the most run down areas. You only tend to see them in holds that have an abundance of water (( probably a reason for this)). Most are thought of as thieves and drug abusers. I agree that they tend to get a bad rap, but unfortunately the Argonians you do meet tend to either A) have drug problems and/or B) want you to do something Shady. It really shouldn't be surprising though as how they are viewed.
Lastly we come to the Khajhit. They aren't even allowed into cities. This is because they are thought of as thieves, assassins, and skooma dealers. Most of the goods the caravans sell are probably assumed to be hawked goods. Now this would be unjustified... if it wasn't true. The merchant caravans DO Sell Skooma and Moon Sugar. The Caravans act as fences for the Thieves Guild and they all train you on how to Sneak, Lie and Steal.
With all these observations then, would it be safe to assume that there really is some truth into the racism that occurs throughout Skyrim? So as you debate on this, wondering if the Stormcloaks are right right or wrong and people say " We'll Gee they're racist!", ask yourself... is there a reason they might be? You could be telling yourself yes.

(( Just for the Record, I'm not endorsing any Racism here, I'm just posting the reasons on why it exists. ))
#3Ajd_KingPosted 1/30/2013 3:59:50 AM
Omni024 posted...
I'm not endorsing any Racism here, I'm just posting the reasons on why it exists.

Omni024
Nord Racism Is Justified

---
One Bran to rule them all, One Bran to find them, One Bran to bring them all and in the weirwood bind them.
#4NateRose89Posted 1/30/2013 4:06:00 AM
Ajd_King posted...
Omni024 posted...
I'm not endorsing any Racism here, I'm just posting the reasons on why it exists.

Omni024
Nord Racism Is Justified

LOL
---
"I am no knight. I spit on them and their vows." Sandor Clegane, 1996.
#5Omni024(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:09:37 AM
Any topic like this is delicate. You try finding the right wording.
#6SNESdude11Posted 1/30/2013 4:11:09 AM
Racism is never justified.
#7SomnambulisticPosted 1/30/2013 4:11:54 AM
"I'm not endorsing any Racism here, I'm just posting the reasons on why it exists."

There's your topic title.
---
Would you like to know more?
http://i.imgur.com/hIDW3.jpg
#8AgainstTheEchoPosted 1/30/2013 4:12:39 AM
Orcs are technically of the Elven descent.
Khajiit sell Skooma and Moon Sugar because they are largely unaffected like it.
While it may act as a drug to other races, to Khajiit it is their culture and genetic tolerance of the matter.
#9Ajd_KingPosted 1/30/2013 4:12:54 AM
Omni024 posted...
Any topic like this is delicate. You try finding the right wording.

I thought the final line/part of your post would've been good, just saying that you're going to be talking about why examples of Nordic racism has come about in Skyrim. "Reasons why Nordic racism occurs in Skyrim" or something.
---
One Bran to rule them all, One Bran to find them, One Bran to bring them all and in the weirwood bind them.
#10Omni024(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:15:26 AM
If I could edit the title, I would. But I can't... so hopefully people forgive me.