"Loot is pointless when you can just craft the strongest gear."

#21turn_basedPosted 1/30/2013 11:33:32 AM
Rikashi posted...
Loot in Morrowind was vastly overrated if you ask me. You could spend hours exploring dungeons for worthless iron armor or find the best possible helm/gauntlets/whatever at level 5 and therefore make all other gear useless.

Now I don't mind some really cool unique gear being placed in the tougher/bigger dungeons, but I like the way Skyrim levels the loot with your character.

How dare you insult my mother!
---
Redguards Rule!
#22X ProwLPosted 1/30/2013 3:38:49 PM
Best Skyrim experience IMO involves your character not putting perks into any of the craft trees.

This means daedric & dragonbone are rare, Like they should be.
Unique items and artifacts are more useful.
Jewelry makes more of an impact on your character.
Potions can only be found/bought, No ridiculous potions.

Gives the game a much stronger experience.

Everybody plays TES differently, Thats what makes it so appealing.
---
Gamefaqs, The only place where a Single post can get moderated, Overturned and then RE-Moderated. Pathetic.
#23tsunamizeroPosted 1/30/2013 3:52:43 PM
MC2011 posted...
Mudane Ring
Ring of the Iron Fist
Amulet of Swords/Axes

Exactly, the problem Skyrim has is that the high level random loot is kinda crap.
Heh, the best gear in Morrowind was unique, in Oblivion it was random, in Skyrim it's crafted. Okay so you could enchant for the best weapons but everything else was random high level loot IIRC.
---
The apple may not fall far from the tree, but coconuts can cross oceans.
Gamertag: tsunamizero02
#24KoRiy5000Posted 1/30/2013 3:55:14 PM
my funnest playthrough right now is to rely on loot only. no smithing, enchanting or alchemy at all
#25Scorch3000Posted 1/30/2013 4:00:09 PM
Rikashi posted...
Loot in Morrowind was vastly overrated if you ask me. You could spend hours exploring dungeons for worthless iron armor or find the best possible helm/gauntlets/whatever at level 5 and therefore make all other gear useless.

Now I don't mind some really cool unique gear being placed in the tougher/bigger dungeons, but I like the way Skyrim levels the loot with your character.

Or just soultrap bound armor and have it forever? I always did that, cos I'm a dirty cheat.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#26KoRiy5000Posted 1/30/2013 4:06:40 PM
Scorch3000 posted...
Rikashi posted...

Or just soultrap bound armor and have it forever? I always did that, cos I'm a dirty cheat.

i did that just for the fortify weapon enchant to help actually hit things, but hated how they clogged the inventory screen
#27GriffRoberts(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:13:18 PM
The problem with Morrowind's hand placed loot is that you'll always know where to get the best set after you discover it for the first time. The experience will be the same every time.

Now, the problem with Oblivion's loot is that it scaled out the wazoo, meaning that you'd only be able to get the best gear by being at a wicked level, and by then everybody else is decked out in Glass and Daedric, and there's just no point anymore.

Skyrim improves this by not scaling as ridiculously, and giving us the chance to get the best gear at earlier levels through crafting. That said, I wish there was more questing involved with crafting the top tier armor. In the very least, keep Malachite and Ebony out of shopkeeper's inventories, so that we have to actually go out and search for the crafting materials. Dragon equipment is a completely different issue, though, what with how crazy plentiful their bones and scales are.

It would be nice to see some more unique loot, though. Most of the time when I find something enchanted, I'm thrilled just by being able to disenchant it.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#28konokonohamaruPosted 1/30/2013 4:36:07 PM
They should do this:

Have unique and rare items which are better than what can be crafted (although perhaps they can be improved by crafting). Placed in random dungeons. Can only spawn when character reaches an appropriate level.