Help me improve my jack-of-all-trades build!

#1RayzoriumPosted 1/30/2013 6:07:57 AM
Trying to polish off this build and I don't really know where to go from here. I'd like to see other people's takes on my build, or just their own version of this type of build if they prefer. I can get idea from anywhere as long as you explain why you like the perks that you take.

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#251866

I know this is really long so I guess I'm not expecting a ton of feedback. If nothing else, at least it's nice for me to organize my thoughts on paper.

My goal is to be sufficient without consumables, equipment or weapons, so that if my character ever wakes up naked in a strange place, they can still wreck the everloving hell out of whatever they need to. If absolutely necessary, I can just reset trees and craft while in town - but for an adventuring build, they're just perk hogs. Anyway, here's my reasoning for picking the perks I did.

Block - tons of unique tools, plus mitigation options that can't be replicated any other way. Bends my "no equipment" rule since a lot of perks require shields, though...

One handed - solid damage output.

Sneak - so I can have the option of instantly killing things if I feel like it, plus Shadow Warrior facestabbing is fun.

Pickpocket - Very unique tool, and it's fun to Fus Ro Dah a group of enemies and strip them mid fight.

Illusion - Molding people's minds like putty - too powerful RP-wise and versatile to justify not taking. Also, silent casting.

Conjuration - Who doesn't like minions? Also, bound swords are my primary offense.

Destruction - I need ranged damage and it has more variety than archery. Stagger locking at range on demand is nice too.

Restoration - Necromage and respite; nuff said.

Alteration - Expert Casting for Paralyze, Stability for a longer Slow Time, and Magic Resistance so I can cap MR without any gear. No Mage Armor gear because I'm using a 300 hour Dragonhide thanks to resto loop. Strangely, I don't feel cheap at all doing this.

Things I'm really indecisive about/open to getting rid of:

Destruction - I'm trying to not rely on equipment, but high level Destruction is completely unusable without enchanted gear - so much so that I didn't even bother taking Adept/Expert casting. I might just cave in this case and use cast reduction gear, or I could axe half the tree and save six perks. I'd like to keep Fire to keep Ignite as strong as possible... although that in itself is questionable because it relies on a ring. Ugh.

Block - Some perks require shields and I'm trying to avoid using equipment.

Sneak - Might drop the left half of the tree and free up six points. Just seems like a huge investment for one perk.

TLDR; show me what you'd change about my build, or how you'd do your own jack-of-all-trades build.
#2GBALoserPosted 1/30/2013 7:01:00 AM
Rayzorium posted...

Destruction - I'm trying to not rely on equipment, but high level Destruction is completely unusable without enchanted gear

From a different topic:

Incinerate is almost exactly equivalent to a legendary daedric greatsword with all possible buffs in terms of dps. The legendary daedric greatsword, using top enchanted gear to create and wield will do 266 (rounded up) damage per strike. With damage enchants on the weapon it goes to 328. This comes to 230 (rounded up) dps. Incinerate: Base damage, 60. 10% DoT for 1s, so 66 DPs base. With Augmented Flames, 99. With doublecasting, 217.8.

Incinerate has a dps of 218.
A legendary daedric greatsword has a dps of 230.

Requirements for Greatsword: 100 Two-Handed, 91 smithing, 100 enchanting, and no fewer than 20 perks.
Requirements for Incinerate: 60 destruction, 4 perks. 5 if you want impact.

Incinerate without any player-made enchantments matches up to player-smithed and enchanted gear. The basic stuff you get at the college will give you enough of a magic reduction for good usage.

Block - Some perks require shields and I'm trying to avoid using equipment.

Are you using Bound Weapons? Block can be useful in that case, even a few points.

Sneak - Might drop the left half of the tree and free up six points. Just seems like a huge investment for one perk.

If you're going Sneak just for Shadow Warrior, take out the left half, albeit, one of my favorite perks. The bonus backstab damage is more than worth the points though.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#3lalallaalalPosted 1/30/2013 7:43:21 AM
My jack of all trades build:

Speechcraft: the 3 perks to sell anything to anyone. Everybody should do this unless you enjoy spending an hour selling loot.

No crafting.

Archery: 5/5 Overdraw, eagle eye, quick shot, power shot.

Two-handed: 5/5 Barbarian, champion's stance, devastating blow

Block: All perks but block runner and quick reflexes.

One-handed: 5/5 armsman, savage strike, fighting stance.

Sneak: 1/5 stealth, muffled movement, silent roll, silence , light foot, backstab, deadly aim, assassin's blade.

Conjuration: novice conjuration, 1/2 summoner, atromancy, elemental potency, twin soul.

Destruction: Novice through Master destruction, impact, dual casting

Restoration: novice restoration, 2/2 recovery

Alteration: novice and apprentice alteration, 3/3 magic resistance

I don't know how many perks that is but there's enough left over to fill out whichever armor you want. I personally don't pick the matching set perks so I can mix and match my armor.