Does this sound like a fun/challenging build? (Help with build appreciated)

#1Belgarion05Posted 1/30/2013 9:36:03 AM
Emphasis on "fun," considering that it's actually a challenge to make this game challenging.

Build name: Monk (combat style, not roleplay)
Roleplay: Thieves guild thief/adventurer
Race: Khajiit

Quests:
- Thieve's Guild
- College of Winterhold
- Companions (for the free training - heavy armor and block are a pain to level up)

Skills: Heavy Armor (Unarmed combat), Block?, Sneak, Pickpocketing, Speech, Illusion, Destruction?, Restoration, Enchanting

Deliberately Excluded: Smithing Conjuration, Alteration
- Smithing doesn't help unarmed damage
- Conjuation is OP
- Paralyze is OP

Work in progress build: http://skyrimcalculator.com/251956

Reasoning:
- Heavy armor for unarmed combat perk
- Block for Dawnbreaker for fighting mages/dragons. Also, shield charge sounds fun
- Sneak for....sneaking. Allows for different enchantment on boots
- Pickpocketing: Roleplay purposes. Also a perk dump
- Speech: Convenience and Roleplay. Perk dump
- Illusion: Possibly for invisibility. Mostly for Frenzy spells.
- Destruction: Cloak spells only (might be useless - need advice)
- Restoration: Necromage, healing, fighting undead
- Enchanting: For these possible enchantments: Fortify Restoration/Illusion, Fortify Unarmed damage, Fortify heavy armor, Fire/Frost resist...etc

Equipment:
-Daedric Gauntlets
- Monk robes

Essential Shouts:
- Aura Whisper
- Become Ethereal: cliff jumping and hiding from dragon blasts
- Disarm: for fun, and the idea of forcing enemies to fight me unarmed amuses me
- Dragonrend: I have no ranged damage, so this is going to be necessary
- Ice Form: Crowd control
- Marked for Death: I'm unarmed, will need all the help I can get
- Slow Time
- Unrelenting Force
- Throw Voice

Play style (depending on the situation)
- Sneak -> Frenzy -> Punching
- Shield Charge -> Punching

Notes:
- Get necromage/vampire for Unarmed damage and enchanting boost (Necromage affects fists of steel)
- Monk robes don't allow for head pieces. This is to deliberately limit my amount of enchantments. And they look cool
- This is not a min-max build. Some points are "wasted." Speech/pickpocketing for example. This is mostly to keep my character from getting too strong. And some of them are just very convenient.

- I'm willing to change this around a bit. I do want my character to wear robes. He is not going to thunk around in heavy armor. I will probably have to wear a heavy helmet and boots, as long as it doesn't look ridiculous

- I quite likely have to level smithing to get every bit of armor I can get. I don't know exactly how my enchantments will look yet. I really don't want to use alteration, because casting a flesh spell before every fight gets old quick.

- Perfectly willing to ditch Destruction. I think cloaks would be a great part of the build RP-wise, but if they are useless, then I'll ditch them. Could put those perks into heavy armor

Please feel free to tear the build apart. and move perk points around. I haven't crunched numbers on armor rating and such and perks were placed to make the build as fun as possible. I'd like to keep the spirit of the build, but moving perks around to make it more viable/survivable would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for making the post so long. I tried to make it an easy read.
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#2Belgarion05(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 11:26:23 AM
Bump
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#3GriffRobertsPosted 1/30/2013 11:30:51 AM
Theonyxphoenix has recently started a thread about how to boost unarmed damage without any enchantments. It involves using werewolf form and a follower to equip multiple gauntlets at once. Might be worth looking into, could save you a ton of perk points.
---
I didn't edit my sig this time, but I'm trying out the sig rotation thing.
#4NicodaemosPosted 1/30/2013 11:36:56 AM
I dunno, since it sounds like it's mostly a for-fun build there's not really much to "tear apart". I wouldn't perk Resto after 50, though.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#5Evil_SandwichPosted 1/30/2013 11:51:26 AM
Belgarion05 posted...
http://skyrimcalculator.com/251956

Remove all perks from Speech and Destruction.

Cloaks are worthless and so is the entire Speech tree.

Also, grab Misdirection and Perfect Touch if ur using Pickpocket since you'll have 100% chance to steal the Armor/Weapons from human enemies if u Ice Form them or knock them down with Unrelenting Force.
#6Belgarion05(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 1:44:51 PM
Evil_Sandwich posted...
Belgarion05 posted...
http://skyrimcalculator.com/251956

Remove all perks from Speech and Destruction.

Cloaks are worthless and so is the entire Speech tree.

Also, grab Misdirection and Perfect Touch if ur using Pickpocket since you'll have 100% chance to steal the Armor/Weapons from human enemies if u Ice Form them or knock them down with Unrelenting Force.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I was hoping the cloaks were going to be useful, but not a biggy. I will consider removing speech, but I rather like it for the convenience and RP value.
---