I hope this TES:O retcon debacle doesn't turn into another ME3 ending s***storm.

#101Gaming_EsquirePosted 2/2/2013 5:08:09 PM
FatherSuperior7 posted...
Lostout posted...
The changes they have made will make it appeal to a wider audience which is kinda their goal after all. The lore buffs while very loud are a tiny portion of the market. Good business strategy if you ask me.

When did artists start giving a **** about business? (Hint: they didn't)

This misconception that everything is about money is making people lower their standards to obscene levels. Bethesda is not primarily concerned with how much money they make with TES, they care more about the stories they are telling. If they were focused on making their games appealing to the widest audience possible, why would they say multiple times that they do not intend to work on multiplayer because it would take away from the single player experience?

Bethesda has the integrity to say "Hey, money is cool and all, but we care more about creating a vast interesting universe for our audience than increasing our cash flow". Art is not about how much money you make, it is about sharing your stories/ideas with the world, hopefully attracting an audience who are interested in what you have to say. The thing that distinguishes a company that cares about art (like Bethesda) from a company that doesn't care about art (like EA) is this:

Companies like Bethesda make money so they can make games.
Companies like EA make games so they can make money.

Lol! While I appreciate your idealism, it is misguided. Beth spent $85 MILLION to develop Skyrim. I highly doubt if they sold $8.5 mil they would've been like "oh well, at least we made art."

No. They wanted the $680 million they've made.
---
From Dragon Warrior to Skyrim, by way of Final Fantasy and Mass Effect
#102darkportal785(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 5:10:44 PM(edited)
I'm closing this topic.

EDIT: And it won't let me.

FFS.
---
Hey! Who's that thinkin' nasty thoughts? Nasty boys.
#103MastadiPosted 2/2/2013 8:20:25 PM
Gaming_Esquire posted...
FatherSuperior7 posted...
Lostout posted...
The changes they have made will make it appeal to a wider audience which is kinda their goal after all. The lore buffs while very loud are a tiny portion of the market. Good business strategy if you ask me.

When did artists start giving a **** about business? (Hint: they didn't)

This misconception that everything is about money is making people lower their standards to obscene levels. Bethesda is not primarily concerned with how much money they make with TES, they care more about the stories they are telling. If they were focused on making their games appealing to the widest audience possible, why would they say multiple times that they do not intend to work on multiplayer because it would take away from the single player experience?

Bethesda has the integrity to say "Hey, money is cool and all, but we care more about creating a vast interesting universe for our audience than increasing our cash flow". Art is not about how much money you make, it is about sharing your stories/ideas with the world, hopefully attracting an audience who are interested in what you have to say. The thing that distinguishes a company that cares about art (like Bethesda) from a company that doesn't care about art (like EA) is this:

Companies like Bethesda make money so they can make games.
Companies like EA make games so they can make money.

Lol! While I appreciate your idealism, it is misguided. Beth spent $85 MILLION to develop Skyrim. I highly doubt if they sold $8.5 mil they would've been like "oh well, at least we made art."

No. They wanted the $680 million they've made.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. You have to consider what leads most game developers to become such in the first place - a passion for games, and a desire to create new ones. As such, most of them do want to create wonderful, interesting and enticing experiences.

On the other hand, they are just people - and caring about business or not, they do like money. As such, they want their game to sell well, and will change the game to appeal to a wider audience, including stuff like making the gameplay simpler, bastardising the lore to make it more similar to current trends and arbitrary progression+reward systems in games that don't need them (Think almost any modern FPS).

Still, majority of developers do genuinely care about the 'art' side of their games. Otherwise, all we would be getting would be bog standard, risk free releases of well established genres - and while we do get our yearly installments of the risk-free or most successful games on the market, such as CoD or EA's sports games, we still do get new franchises being created, and occasionally, even whole new or previously unexplored genres popping up.

Saying the developers in general care only about art or only about the money is just plain wrong. Most care about both, and I don't think with a game series like the elder scrolls it is wrong to assume that something which has been an important part of the games - the lore, in this case - would be just ignored like that. Part of the appeal is the fact that the lore is in many aspects somewhat different from your bog standard fantasy worlds, and I don't think making it more usual will attract any players - in fact, as shown by the response this is getting so far, many long-standing fans are opposing it and as such might simply decide not to purchase the game once it comes out.
---
I would use a nude male mod with equipable underwear just so I can enchant a pair of magical boxers. - Nexus_Nocturnal.