I hope this TES:O retcon debacle doesn't turn into another ME3 ending s***storm.

#91Brenz0rPosted 1/31/2013 8:10:23 PM
darkportal785 posted...
konokonohamaru posted...
Why are we talking about Bioware anyway? Bioware sucks now. After Dragon Age 2 I've lost all faith in them

Testify!

I loved DA2.

I tried to like it and push through. It sucked. Stupid choices (especially the one at the start between your siblings), unlikeable followers (the only ones that weren't idiots or asking for a beatdown were Isabela and Varric... and Bethany, I guess), and what I know is a ridiculous ending. DA:O ended perfectly with Awakening as an effective sequel game, to me. No need to let DA2 screw up the world. So I went and played The Witcher 2 instead, and it was excellent - everything that DA2 wasn't. Your choices mattered, it wasn't a cartoonish black-and-white world, and it had far more in the way of storytelling.

As far as ME3 is concerned... the new ending added in the EC is still to my mind the best one, albeit the most bittersweet.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#92turn_basedPosted 1/31/2013 8:43:51 PM
One of the greatest accomplishments in the history of video games:

The Mass Effect Trilogy

The ending? EDI. Joker. A future. Together.

:)
---
Redguards Rule!
#93StaticPenguinPosted 1/31/2013 9:17:53 PM
I dont even know what this debacle is. Never heard of it.
---
I named him Waggleton P. Tallylicker. I never got the chance to tell him. He will be remembered. ~ Grayson Hunt
#94FatherSuperior7Posted 2/1/2013 1:55:56 PM
FOGEDABOUDIT posted...
[snip]

How exactly does stupidity and inconsistency attract a larger audience? I have serious doubts that anyone would say "That game, TES:O, looks cool, but those golden skinned elves don't sit right with me, despite their appearance being the same as always.. I don't like those Orc things not getting along with the Redguard people either, even though that has always been hostile towards one another. Guess I'm not going to play it." I might be inclined to agree with you were it not for these being more than mere "oversights". Races rarely change their skin color, especially when the race in question has an average lifespan of 200 (even higher for nobility). A major factor that shows the resilience of Orcs is their history of being constantly struck down by the Bretons of High Rock and the Redguards of Hammerfell; if you constantly had the living **** beat out of you by a bully, would you develop a mutual respect for each other? That would be the equivalent of making a game based in reality where Iran and Israel joined forces to conquer America. An entire region of Tamriel that was covered in jungle terrain until it was changed by a man who, in simple terms, ascended to pseudo-godhood is now revealed to have possessed a temperate climate all along and all accounts saying otherwise are results of a "transcription error"? Does none of that challenge your suspension of disbelief? Why should those who can't find a balance between "illogical and unbelievable" and "anything makes sense" be catered to? Why should critical thinking skills be shunned?

Do you realize just how complacent and submissive you are showcasing yourself to be? Bioware refused to acknowledge their gargantuan mistakes, so Zenimax should do the same? Bioware lost all credibility with a huge chunk of their fanbase by trying to sweep their mistakes "under the rug"; by directly contradicting their established lore, telling the fans "this is how it is and always was" and making them pay for retroactive foreshadowing in an attempt to justify their BS, they alienated their fans who were capable of critical thinking. For Zenimax to follow suit would be an awful decision and would set a precedent that would/will undoubtedly lead to negative effects for consumers. Without standards to be held to, companies will continue to **** consumers.

In what reality does it make sense for morality to be completely separated from business? The only way you could justify abandoning morality in business is if you are the one in business, and even then, the justification is poorly founded. A businessman's only means of justifying being an immoral piece of human garbage is to say that without needing to think about the effects their actions have on consumers, they are able to sleep at night: "I'm not a bad person, it's just the nature of business." Is there a single other field of work where that kind of excuse would be considered valid? If the Kill Squad said "We're not murderers, it's just the nature of war", would they be pardoned? Why should businessmen be given the right to circumvent morality?
#95FatherSuperior7Posted 2/1/2013 1:56:03 PM
dave_is_slick posted...
You are saying that being willfully ignorant and complacent is preferable to being an intelligent individual who has standards and doesn't accept being treated as an inferior intellect... because sex?

No, he's saying that b****ing about horribly uninteresting lore is pathetic.

Wow. That is some powerful stupidity right there.

What is and is not interesting is a subjective matter: telling me that TES lore is "uninteresting" is equivalent to telling me that my favorite color is brown. You are not the person who decides how i perceive something, that is a distinction exclusive to me.

I could engage in a flame war with you, trading pointless insult for pointless insult, but instead I'll just provide some clarity on this situation: you are on a game discussion forum, spending your time telling people that the lore for the game said forum is dedicated to is "uninteresting" and that those who discuss it are "pathetic". You are not in any position to be admonishing anyone here.

But please, continue to spew your stupidity throughout these forums; I'm sure all of us betas are just itching to hear your glorious alpha wisdom.
#96RebelElite791Posted 2/1/2013 4:55:08 PM
FatherSuperior7 posted...
dave_is_slick posted...
You are saying that being willfully ignorant and complacent is preferable to being an intelligent individual who has standards and doesn't accept being treated as an inferior intellect... because sex?

What is and is not interesting is a subjective matter: telling me that TES lore is "uninteresting" is equivalent to telling me that my favorite color is brown. You are not the person who decides how i perceive something, that is a distinction exclusive to me.

I could engage in a flame war with you, trading pointless insult for pointless insult, but instead I'll just provide some clarity on this situation: you are on a game discussion forum, spending your time telling people that the lore for the game said forum is dedicated to is "uninteresting" and that those who discuss it are "pathetic". You are not in any position to be admonishing anyone here.

But please, continue to spew your stupidity throughout these forums; I'm sure all of us betas are just itching to hear your glorious alpha wisdom.

I see you've met dave_is_slick, his gimmick seems to just be hating on TES lore here and being horribly sexist on social boards. Best not to feed him.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#97the_arisenPosted 2/1/2013 5:14:39 PM
obishawn posted...
Don't let raging dicks get out of hand?

that is so sig able
---
There is nothing in the bible that says Jesus wasnt a Veloci-Raptor
Raw dogging the internet (and your gf) since '93
#98FatherSuperior7Posted 2/1/2013 6:22:52 PM
RebelElite791 posted...
dave_is_slick posted...

I see you've met dave_is_slick, his gimmick seems to just be hating on TES lore here and being horribly sexist on social boards. Best not to feed him.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the heads up.
#99dave_is_slickPosted 2/1/2013 8:59:24 PM

Jesus Christ you people are so f***ing insecure. The minute anyone expresses dislike, you launch into tirades as if your opinion is somehow the correct one and no one can ever find it dull as hell. What you're whining about me doing, you're doing on the opposite side of the spectrum. You can't tell me what I can't find boring. Like you said, we're on a game discussion board. Last time I checked, negative opinions are allowed as well. But please, continue to prove that other guy correct, it's hilarious.

What the hell? I mean, I know you're not trying to call me a gimmick poster. The hypocrisy would be far too much.
---
Clementine is my baby. I will fight anyone to the death if they say otherwise!!
#100FOGEDABOUDITPosted 2/2/2013 3:52:55 PM
[snip]

Look, I know where you're coming from and I'm not saying these aren't major oversights in lore because they are. I'm just saying that relative to the general audience they aren't significant enough to shift opinion away from the game. Zenimax is doing this because they know they can get away with it and when the game hits I doubt this will end up affecting their sales significantly enough for them to care.

I agree that standards should be upheld by consumer's and in an IDEAL world they would be. But most consumers will eat up the crap that their fed because of good marketing and majority consensus that leads people to play a game despite it's flaws. It's a perfect example of the Asch phenomenon, individuals will conform to an idea despite their beliefs if the majority does. I'm not saying this applies to everyone but I have seen many players of a botched up series return to that series just because everyone else does. One example I can think of is COD.

And your idealistic notions of business are simply that, idealistic. The world is run by money and the commodities money can buy, not some benevolent group of people. If you really care that much start another movement and stop ranting on an internet forum. I don't know why you're waving your flag at me because if you really have a problem with how things are then you should be doing something about it. Because ultimately, I agree with YOU! But the cogs of the machine known as Capitalism turn against such notions.

And if you're going to argue with me please address all of my points and stop going off on a tirade repeating the same idealistic garbage. I'm not complacent, and submissive. I simply know that without action reality will not change. Argumentation on an internet forum does absolutely nothing to shape the world. You talk about Bioware alienating their "fans who were capable of critical thinking" well here's news to you, a big chunk, I'd say even the majority of their audience doesn't care for "critical thinking" they just want to be entertained. I'm not one of these fools but given that they are the majority they are what companies will cater towards. And if you or I could enlighten these individuals simply by exerting our will on them then I'm sure everyone would be a genius. But that's not how the world works.
---
I do so love Riften. I journeyed here in my youth. A thief took my purse... so I took his eyes. It was a fair exchange.