How much more powerfull should Destruction be for you to feel like its not UP?

#341Perma-n00bPosted 2/15/2013 5:46:07 PM
C/D topic would not be as popular if TC didn't somehow misspell OP. Very impressive.

C
#342Darg727Posted 2/15/2013 6:20:15 PM
Perma-n00b posted...
C/D topic would not be as popular if TC didn't somehow misspell OP. Very impressive.

C

He didn't. If you don't craft, magic can feel laggish in all of the close quarter areas because the most powerful items for it are generally cloth i.e. robes.

To be honest there needs to be a way to cast a stagger without dual cast because it makes one handing magic kind of meh
#343Perma-n00bPosted 2/15/2013 6:32:51 PM
..Darg727 posted...
Perma-n00b posted...

C

He didn't. If you don't craft, magic can feel laggish in all of the close quarter areas because the most powerful items for it are generally cloth i.e. robes.

To be honest there needs to be a way to cast a stagger without dual cast because it makes one handing magic kind of meh

Oh Jesus my bad.... Didn't realize people abbreviated "underpowered."

*woooooooosh*
#344the_arisenPosted 2/15/2013 6:35:30 PM
TO 500!!!... coincidentally didnt read any of this topic
---
Find what you love and let it kill you - Bukowski
#345gamegod13Posted 2/15/2013 8:06:49 PM
Destruction spells need a boost in damage. Spell damage increasing as the destruction skill goes up would be nice.

People may say I'm bad for this, but when I use destruction spells my mana level is always low, and I don't see how people say they still have mana. Dual casting spells is incredibly expensive, and unless you dual cast you don't get the life saving stun that Impact offers. Without Impact, there's nothing stopping an enemy warrior from destroying your face (save terrain aka the ability to jump to places they cant reach).

I dont understand how it's possible that they don't run out of mana while fighting, unless they're just deliberately not attacking, using gear with high spell cost reductions, or chugging mana potions.

When I play my mage, I don't feel like I'm actually playing the game, I feel like I'm trying to cheat the game. Using Impact to make sure an enemy warrior doesn't shove a sword in my throat, and jumping back and forth to locations where they can't hit me while my mana regens, all while I slowly whittle their health down. It's not fun, it's not awesome, it's a goddamn chore.

Even if you get your Destruction skills to be cost free, they don't deal a lot of damage, and the only reason it succeeds is because you can use Impact to stunlock your opponents while you whittle their health away.

It's "viable" but it's far from good or fun.

[ Insert post telling me that I'm "wrong" for x reason ]
---
GT: Ginger Gerald
Come, madness awaits.
#346LostoutPosted 2/15/2013 9:24:00 PM
How to win as a destruction mage.

1) Have both ranks of Augmented Flames
2) Dual cast Flame cloak
3) Incincerate both hands NOT dualcast but cast slightly apart
4) now Dual cast

Target is now dead.
optional DB mask to improve fire

For stronger foes deathlords etc drop some fire runes and wall of flames and ofc you will have to repeat the incinerate cast cycle a few times.

current lv 68 Expert difficulty. Zero problems. I suspect at 81 I might need some fortify dest potions for harder guys though.
---
I am as awesome as a bear high fiving a shark in space during an explosion.
#347silverhunter16Posted 2/15/2013 9:49:01 PM
gamegod13 posted...
Destruction spells need a boost in damage. Spell damage increasing as the destruction skill goes up would be nice.

People may say I'm bad for this, but when I use destruction spells my mana level is always low, and I don't see how people say they still have mana. Dual casting spells is incredibly expensive, and unless you dual cast you don't get the life saving stun that Impact offers. Without Impact, there's nothing stopping an enemy warrior from destroying your face (save terrain aka the ability to jump to places they cant reach).

I dont understand how it's possible that they don't run out of mana while fighting, unless they're just deliberately not attacking, using gear with high spell cost reductions, or chugging mana potions.

When I play my mage, I don't feel like I'm actually playing the game, I feel like I'm trying to cheat the game. Using Impact to make sure an enemy warrior doesn't shove a sword in my throat, and jumping back and forth to locations where they can't hit me while my mana regens, all while I slowly whittle their health down. It's not fun, it's not awesome, it's a goddamn chore.

Even if you get your Destruction skills to be cost free, they don't deal a lot of damage, and the only reason it succeeds is because you can use Impact to stunlock your opponents while you whittle their health away.

It's "viable" but it's far from good or fun.

[ Insert post telling me that I'm "wrong" for x reason ]

This. It names everything that is wrong with destruction and magic in general. Without an excessively large magic pool, enchanted equipment, or potions destruction falls flat on its face. Perks help to somewhat alleviate costs but don't add enough punch to actually make it to where it can be used on its own.

People argue that you can reduce the cost to nothing with enchanting and boost damage with alchemy but truth is you can do the same with other combat skills and to a greater extent because they also benefit from smithing which magic does not. With all relevant perks, enchanted gear and fortification potions any weapon can become a game breaking tool of utter destruction because they only have to do it all ONCE. For magic to have a similar effect you have no other alternative but to chug fortification potions every single conflict just to reach the same result.

Then we have Ignite. Ignite is only usable because of the AoT exploit, glitch, whatever you want to call it, to make it ridiculously more powerful than it actually is. What, if the mage doesn't go into Illusion magic? Than Ignite is all but useless to them. Putting perks into Illusion just for AoT seems like a waste just to make Destruction stronger and only fire spells benefit from it anyways.

Also throw in the fact that weapons get sneak bonuses. With the right gear and perks anyone can OHK anything in the game with a weapon but mages have to chug more potions to achieve that. Mages are more or less FORCED to use alchemy and enchanting just to make the build "viable" which really limits them compared to other classes that can just skimp on by with a few perks into smithing alone.
---
"Screw the rules, I have money!!!"
#348Mick65Posted 2/15/2013 10:10:18 PM
silverhunter16 posted...
With all relevant perks, enchanted gear and fortification potions any weapon can become a game breaking tool of utter destruction because they only have to do it all ONCE.

With the right gear and perks anyone can OHK anything in the game with a weapon...

The fact that you, and so many others it's seems, are upset that you can't easily and permanently break your game and one hit, with spells, every enemy you may ever face is your problem, not destruction's
---
JAFO
#349silverhunter16Posted 2/15/2013 10:19:42 PM
Mick65 posted...
silverhunter16 posted...
With all relevant perks, enchanted gear and fortification potions any weapon can become a game breaking tool of utter destruction because they only have to do it all ONCE.

With the right gear and perks anyone can OHK anything in the game with a weapon...

The fact that you, and so many others it's seems, are upset that you can't easily and permanently break your game and one hit, with spells, every enemy you may ever face is your problem, not destruction's

That wasn't my point. My point was its easier to fight with weapons as opposed to magic. I personally don't like game breaking crap, but some people do so I just mentioned it and even if the weapon isn't game breaking it still does more damage than magic can do.
---
"Screw the rules, I have money!!!"
#350LockeadonPosted 2/16/2013 1:39:29 AM(edited)
things that would make destruction better

1) much larger of a cost decrease from leveling/perks
2) damage increasing with destruction level
3) a damage perk 20/40/60/80/100 like every other attack skill
4) base magicka costs approx. half what they are now
5) stronger aoe spells
6) homing spells
7) enchantments to increase damage
8) absorption spells
9) spell making

things that would make melee better

will the master sword in db dlc melee even has a (fairly weak) ranged attack so i cant think of anything
maybe darts or shuriken or another throwing weapon thats one handed?

things that would make archery better

(enhanced)crossbows/bolts/elemental bolts for the remaining smithing materiels
ability to enchant bundles of arrows/bolts

just imagine an enhanced dragonbone crossbow firing dragonbone elemental bolts both the bow and the bolts being enchanted.

---
everytime i think i've seen it all...
someone does something stupider