Shadowmere is overrated. (Restoration and Destruction leveling guide)

#1loneashamanPosted 1/31/2013 5:18:40 AM
Been seeing a lot of people say to use Shadowmere to level destruction skills, but I found that you can just buy a normal horse at a stable, go to the middle of nowhere, and equip Healing Hands on one hand and Flames in the other. Just use both skills at the same time and it'll level both Restoration and Destruction equally(Use the Mage Guardian Stone to help speed this up). When you run out of mana just hit Select, wait an hour, your Mana is full and quicker than waiting for mana to pop back up. Make sure to have items to help negate spell cost and boost mana regeneration.
#2SoulOfFaythPosted 1/31/2013 5:21:53 AM
Won't other horses eventually run away?
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#3loneashaman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 5:38:15 AM
I bought one from the Whiterun Stables and took it out into one of the fields right by, got up close, and did as I showed. Horse just stands there, even as its health is affected(My Flames spell is just slightly better than Healing Hands but by the time my mana is down to zero, the horse is still more than 3/4's full health bar wise). I even used weapons on it to see if I can raise one handed, but I need to use a low level weapon since three hacks from my enhanced Nordic Carved Waraxe put it close to death. The horse can die, but if this happens, just load from the last automatic save(My system always saves every time I use the Wait option).
#4EmblemWarriorPosted 1/31/2013 6:05:59 AM
True, but normal horses can't go toe to toe with dragons and come away smiling like Shadowmere can.
---
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
#5loneashaman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 6:25:40 AM
Yeah, but I'm more of a fan of Arvak than Shadowmere, because Shadowmere is ALWAYS there when you fast travel so reminds me more of a puppy than a cool horse. Arvak comes when you summon it and looks cooler, in my opinion.
#6loneashaman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 8:20:57 AM
And you can also sneak attack your horse as well and boost Sneak.
#7_Krave_Posted 1/31/2013 9:08:49 AM
I find skill trainers to be the easiest form of leveling up skills fast.
---
Fascination ends
#8The J0kerPosted 1/31/2013 10:25:31 AM(edited)
You level faster with higher level spells though and with Shadowmere you can turn up the damage quite a bit without having to worry about killing him.

Edit: skill trainers are of course fastest but are capped at 5 skill gains per level and won't work past skill level 90.
#9iDubstepPosted 1/31/2013 10:36:02 AM
The J0ker posted...
You level faster with higher level spells though and with Shadowmere you can turn up the damage quite a bit without having to worry about killing him.

This. Shadowmere is properly rated...
#10Belgarion05Posted 1/31/2013 10:52:33 AM
It seems like most people don't know the glitch that can give you such high magicka regen that you essentially have infinite magicka.

Step One: Join College of Winterhold
Step Two: Get this quest
Step Three: SAVE
Step Four: Cleanse one of the foci (quickly double tap 'A' and you can get two chances to get the effect)
Step Five: Repeat the last two steps with the other two foci. Reload if you get soul gems or incorrect effect.

This regen effect will easily last long enough to run off with a horse and torch it.

When I used it, I leveled Restoration up to 70 with turn undead on the Draugr in the Midden, Destruction to 100 by using Frost Rune/Undead healing on the same Draugr, and then leveled Alteration to 100 with telekinesis.

I still had to use the wait function extensively to get the regen effect to go away.

This should seriously cut down the grind. No more waiting one hour.
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury