Has anyone done a pure shout playthrough? (100% shout cooldown required)

#1Belgarion05Posted 1/31/2013 11:18:03 AM
Since I just learned of the transformation-follower glitch (HOW did I not know of this exploit sooner?) I was thinking of doing a pure shout playthrough.

For those of you who don't know what the exploit is, you basically give equipment to a follower, transform and trade with them at the same time. While transformed, the dialog box is still open, and you can equip items using the trigger buttons. When you transform back, you can have multiple items equipped in the same slot...like 5 Amulets of Talos.

I was thinking I would make a build that pretty much only used shouts, but then I thought it would be fun to do a Dragon Priest build. That means Magic, Staves, and maybe a dagger. I think I would not use enchanting at all.

I think infinite shouts will be stupidly overpowered...but full cost reduction is stupidly over-powered (infinite stagger).

The good part is that there are a ton of combat shouts so that you can make your battles different. Most of us probably just stick to FUS RO DAHing everything because the shout cooldown is so long.

Viable combat shouts (with 100% cooldown)
- Become Ethereal: Panic button
- Disarm: Why not? You have 100% cooldown. Make those Deathlords look for their weapon for a change
- Dismay: Normally useless. But now you have 100% cooldown. Run wimps run!
- Drain Vitality: Regen.
- Elemental Fury: In case you get bored of long distance murder
- Fire Breath: Main damage Shout
- Frost Breath: DoT + Slow
- Ice Form: CC
- Marked for Death: Boss nuke
- Slow time: More time to Fire Breath.
- Soul Tear: Probably one of the most powerful shouts. 300 damage and soul trap
- Unrelenting force: I love it when Falmer are on narrow walkways...

And that's not even including the Dragonborn DLC shouts, uber shouts like Summon Dragon and Storm Call, or your utility shouts.

Plus, I have Kinect so I don't have to go into the menu. Ever.

Anyone tried this? Sound fun?
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#2darkportal785Posted 1/31/2013 11:20:41 AM
I want to, but I don't resto-loop.

If someone edited a save though, I'd use it in a heartbeat.
---
Hey! Who's that thinkin' nasty thoughts?
#3aDominationPosted 1/31/2013 11:22:08 AM
Honestly i rarely use shouts, The only one I go out of my way for is Storm Call, nothing more fun than watching a bandit camp being wipe out by lightning.
---
Achievement Unlocked
Hail the Catastrophe 150(G) Become a Jenova Witness of your own free will.
#4Belgarion05(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:22:35 AM
Dude...read more than the topic title.

I just gave you a way of doing it without the resto loop. The way I described only takes as long as getting lycanthropy and getting 5 amulets of Talos.
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#5RikashiPosted 1/31/2013 11:25:23 AM
Belgarion05 posted...

I just gave you a way of doing it without the resto loop. The way I described only takes as long as getting lycanthropy and getting 5 amulets of Talos.

Plus the time it takes you to get all those shouts in the first place.

I'm guessing it will take a lot of time before a build like this becomes fun or feasible.
---
Wait a moment... pencil processors offline!?
Not changing this sig until Stephen Kings 'It' gets a proper movie adaption.
#6darkportal785Posted 1/31/2013 11:25:38 AM

Don't want to contract lycanthropy either. I RP, if it doesn't fit my RP then I don't use it.
---
Hey! Who's that thinkin' nasty thoughts?
#7Belgarion05(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:26:03 AM
aDomination posted...
Honestly i rarely use shouts, The only one I go out of my way for is Storm Call, nothing more fun than watching a bandit camp being wipe out by lightning.

I think everyone rarely uses shouts. That's why I was going with this idea.

Quite frankly, anyone that has a clue will have an overpowered build by level 30. This makes the shouts much less useful. So we don't use them.

But I've done a 2h warrior, sword and board, dual wield, pure mage, stealth archer, illusionist...you get the idea.

I figured this would be something different and fun for people like me who have played the game into the ground :)
---
#8aDominationPosted 1/31/2013 11:26:29 AM
darkportal785 posted...

Don't want to contract lycanthropy either. I RP, if it doesn't fit my RP then I don't use it.

Lets not forget the high probability of the Arcwind Point glitch kicking in.
---
Achievement Unlocked
Hail the Catastrophe 150(G) Become a Jenova Witness of your own free will.
#9Belgarion05(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:30:17 AM
Rikashi posted...
Belgarion05 posted...

Plus the time it takes you to get all those shouts in the first place.

I'm guessing it will take a lot of time before a build like this becomes fun or feasible.

I agree with this completely. The Words won't be the hard part...the souls will be. That's why I was leaning toward more of a Dragon Priest build. It will allow me to still use Shouts most of the time, but I can use magic too. Magic will be great for when I'm collecting shouts and if I get bored of talking to my TV.

However, you can get Marked for Death and Fire Breath pretty easily. With those, you could get the other shouts. Fire Breath just takes some investment into the MQ.
---
#10HighpitchsoloPosted 1/31/2013 1:18:17 PM(edited)
I did a shout only playthrough with the PC mod Thu'mic (allows you to speak the shout in dragon language in to a mic to initiate the shout). Was pretty fun, but most of the time it's just Yol Toor Shul over and over again. I also unlocked all shouts at the beginning of the game.
---
Stop taking exactly what I'm saying and repeating it as if its exactly what I said because it is. -Cryptospuridium