How become there are no homosexual couples in Skyrim?

#51spacecowboy44Posted 2/1/2013 7:42:25 PM
who cares...really...
---
---Playing Hardcore with me is like quail hunting with Dick Cheney.
#52NTJack0Posted 2/1/2013 8:48:49 PM
Wow OP don't cut yourself on those edges!
#53Cast_SupremacyPosted 2/1/2013 11:42:06 PM
nathraxh posted...
What surprises me is that no one in Skyrim, or as far as I've seen, Tamriel, has negative views about it. Given how backwards many Tamriel-ites are towards ideas of race and technology, they're unrealistically tolerant of sexuality. It might have made for an interesting quest, but I can't blame Bethesda for not wanting to deal with a potential powder keg.

There was an interesting quest in one of the Fable games in which a farmer tasks you with finding his son a wife, and upon speaking to the son, he reveals he's gay and afraid to tell his father. You then have several ways of dealing with it. Amusingly rendered a little baffling in-context, as homosexuality is so normalised in the Fable games it isn't even of note, so there shouldn't of been any reason he was so scared of telling his father, but hey ho, always interesting when games try to be inclusive.
#54nathraxhPosted 2/2/2013 1:08:15 AM
RebelElite791 posted...

Wat? This is a fictional universe. There's also remarkably little sexism in Tamriel.

Look at Vivec, he's pretty much the definition of omnisexual.

The lack of sexism doesn't surprise me so much. Ancient cultures with strong, popular female deities were far less likely to look down on women. I'm not including Romans or Greeks there, 'cause even when they were pagan, they were still pretty damned sexist, especially the Greeks.

It's like pretty much every prejudice they have, or do not have, is explained. Sexism? Strong female deities in (IIRC) every pantheon. Racism? Each race is culturally and physically distinct, and seems to have its own Province (Orcs excepted of course), so when a war happens, it's as much between races as nations. Their mistrust of technology? Dwemer.

But no homophobia? At all? I expect I'm just not looking hard enough, but I cannot find the root of this.
---
Dwarf shortage.
#55nathraxhPosted 2/2/2013 1:10:33 AM
rodman870 posted...
nathraxh posted...
What surprises me is that no one in Skyrim, or as far as I've seen, Tamriel, has negative views about it. Given how backwards many Tamriel-ites are towards ideas of race and technology, they're unrealistically tolerant of sexuality. It might have made for an interesting quest, but I can't blame Bethesda for not wanting to deal with a potential powder keg.

Well some societies are unrealistically tolerant of sexuality compared to today's standards. Really since christianity homosexuality has been a lot more persecuted than it was prior.

Spartan warriors were encouraged to start homosexual relationships with their comrades. Homosexuality was about as common in ancient Roman society as their olive oil. Then some native American tribes considered homosexuality to be a sacred thing.

Really if there isn't a God condemning it (which there isn't in TES lore) there's really no reason for homosexuality to be persecuted. Aside from the fact that homosexuality is a little counter-intuitive.

I could see the thalmor persecuting for it, but let's be honest; they're the fox news of TES.

Homosexuality in England existed alongside Christianity for, IIRC, about 500-600 years before it was declared sinful. I think there were already parts of the Bible that condemned it, but no one gave a damn about those parts.
---
Dwarf shortage.
#56kylekillgannonPosted 2/2/2013 3:26:20 AM
nathraxh posted...
rodman870 posted...
nathraxh posted...

Well some societies are unrealistically tolerant of sexuality compared to today's standards. Really since christianity homosexuality has been a lot more persecuted than it was prior.

Spartan warriors were encouraged to start homosexual relationships with their comrades. Homosexuality was about as common in ancient Roman society as their olive oil. Then some native American tribes considered homosexuality to be a sacred thing.

Really if there isn't a God condemning it (which there isn't in TES lore) there's really no reason for homosexuality to be persecuted. Aside from the fact that homosexuality is a little counter-intuitive.

I could see the thalmor persecuting for it, but let's be honest; they're the fox news of TES.

Homosexuality in England existed alongside Christianity for, IIRC, about 500-600 years before it was declared sinful. I think there were already parts of the Bible that condemned it, but no one gave a damn about those parts.

You also have to consider it wasn't considered "Gay" back then. It was just a function of group bonding. As they may have done homosexual dealings at the times many men wouldn't openly define themselves as such. These men who were killing other armies and participating with each other were often expected to and were actively seeking out women to marry.

The sensibility of homosexuality then and now are a stark difference that you can't parallel.
---
History is written by those who have hanged heroes.
#57_Krave_Posted 2/2/2013 3:42:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#58Bosniak10Posted 2/2/2013 4:42:11 AM
Eww! Keep it out of my games..PLEASE! Thanx.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll! Do not feed!
#59nytecrawlaPosted 2/2/2013 5:00:52 AM
nathraxh posted...
rodman870 posted...
nathraxh posted...

It's that last bit that I think is important. What most have forgotten, especially modern Christians, is that the fact that there is an 'Old Testament' and a 'New Testament" tells you everything you need to know. The things that were outlawed or considered wrong in the Old Testament were mostly rendered null and void by the New Testament. When Christ was asked directly what his followers must do to inherit eternal life, his response was simple: "Love the Lord Your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and Love your neighbor as yourself."

Seems simple enough, but for whatever reason you have a bunch of people who call themselves 'Christians' (Those who follow Christ, right?) condemning everyone and everything they can and citing, literally, the Old Testament as evidence. Not the New Testament, but the Old one, you know the one that Christ came to overturn and usher in a new era of faith and understanding. Somehow, people have managed to skew and misinterpret what is written to their own ideas, and it's pretty sad.

But hey, what do I know?
---
Well don't that just beat all?
#60The_Ivory_Man(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 6:41:51 AM
NTJack0 posted...
Wow OP don't cut yourself on those edges!

What edges?