How become there are no homosexual couples in Skyrim?

#61Cast_SupremacyPosted 2/2/2013 6:21:13 AM
kylekillgannon posted...

You also have to consider it wasn't considered "Gay" back then. It was just a function of group bonding. As they may have done homosexual dealings at the times many men wouldn't openly define themselves as such. These men who were killing other armies and participating with each other were often expected to and were actively seeking out women to marry.

The sensibility of homosexuality then and now are a stark difference that you can't parallel.

This. Google 'The Sacred Band of Thebes' when you have a minute. Back in ancient times, they were THE most badass, highly trained unit in the Thebian army, and they were made up of gay couples. Can't remember which philosopher said it, but one said something along the lines of it being the most pure form of love, as there's no woman to ruin things, lol.

People do forget that a lot of times 'gay' wasn't really considered a thing if that makes sense. Even recently here in the U.K., they were mostly left to their own devices up until Queen Victoria actively spoke against it, and that's when the actual oppression started.
#621Denton28Posted 2/2/2013 6:32:14 AM
nytecrawla posted...
nathraxh posted...
rodman870 posted...
nathraxh posted...
What surprises me is that no one in Skyrim, or as far as I've seen, Tamriel, has negative views about it. Given how backwards many Tamriel-ites are towards ideas of race and technology, they're unrealistically tolerant of sexuality. It might have made for an interesting quest, but I can't blame Bethesda for not wanting to deal with a potential powder keg.

Well some societies are unrealistically tolerant of sexuality compared to today's standards. Really since christianity homosexuality has been a lot more persecuted than it was prior.

Spartan warriors were encouraged to start homosexual relationships with their comrades. Homosexuality was about as common in ancient Roman society as their olive oil. Then some native American tribes considered homosexuality to be a sacred thing.

Really if there isn't a God condemning it (which there isn't in TES lore) there's really no reason for homosexuality to be persecuted. Aside from the fact that homosexuality is a little counter-intuitive.

I could see the thalmor persecuting for it, but let's be honest; they're the fox news of TES.

Homosexuality in England existed alongside Christianity for, IIRC, about 500-600 years before it was declared sinful. I think there were already parts of the Bible that condemned it, but no one gave a damn about those parts.

It's that last bit that I think is important. What most have forgotten, especially modern Christians, is that the fact that there is an 'Old Testament' and a 'New Testament" tells you everything you need to know. The things that were outlawed or considered wrong in the Old Testament were mostly rendered null and void by the New Testament. When Christ was asked directly what his followers must do to inherit eternal life, his response was simple: "Love the Lord Your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and Love your neighbor as yourself."

Seems simple enough, but for whatever reason you have a bunch of people who call themselves 'Christians' (Those who follow Christ, right?) condemning everyone and everything they can and citing, literally, the Old Testament as evidence. Not the New Testament, but the Old one, you know the one that Christ came to overturn and usher in a new era of faith and understanding. Somehow, people have managed to skew and misinterpret what is written to their own ideas, and it's pretty sad.

But hey, what do I know?

Just an edit: the response you cited from Jesus was regarding which commandment he thought was most important, and had nothing to do with eternal life.
Eternal life is as simple as believing in him, repenting from your sins, and calling on him to save you.
John 3:16, John 4:10, and I can find more.

References to homosexuality as a sin were not added later, you can find it mentioned in Romans repeatedly starting in chapter 1 and continuing throughout the Epistles in the context as a symptom of the decline of the spiritual condition of the Roman Empire.

I will agree that it is not the function of Christianity to persecute anyone, quite the opposite as you suggest. It also has a responsibility to guide people to a way of living in line with how they were designed by their creator for their benefit. Regardless of whether that message may be popular or not.

It is ironic that Jesus' teachings which changed the world promoting peace towards one another, spiritual equality of men and women, and hope has been misconstrued into some sort of intolerant hate philosophy.
#63nytecrawlaPosted 2/2/2013 6:37:21 AM
I was actually referencing Luke 10: 25-28, which is the preface of the parable of the good samaritan.
---
Well don't that just beat all?
#641Denton28Posted 2/2/2013 7:09:22 AM
nytecrawla posted...
I was actually referencing Luke 10: 25-28, which is the preface of the parable of the good samaritan.

Not to be contentious, but that is still not in the context of eternal life.
#65tzar_666Posted 2/2/2013 10:46:52 AM
sodom and gamorrah. god destroyed sodom and gamorrah because they practiced homosexuality. (genesis 19 19-29) god will do it again if were not careful. burned them with fire to reminded the people what waits for them.
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#66SILKAPosted 2/2/2013 12:55:33 PM
Don't forget Oblivion had characters that leaned towards that side of the fence.

Valinus's son was hinted to be that way and also the blacksmith in Mania.
---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#67tzar_666Posted 2/2/2013 8:24:17 PM
SILKA posted...
Don't forget Oblivion had characters that leaned towards that side of the fence.

Valinus's son was hinted to be that way and also the blacksmith in Mania.

i like your signature
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#68blutoblutarskyXPosted 2/2/2013 8:29:29 PM
gunsndroses posted...
Because Bethesda allowed homosexual marriage SIMPLY so that LGBT communities wouldn't go ape**** on them. They really couldn't give two turds, and I don't blame them.

No-

Beth "allowed" it because their method of creating romance options has the level of depth as a stick figure drawing compared to a photograph.

It's easier to program to just not recognize sex and make everyone generically romanceable-

Keep in mind that the basis for romance in this game is wering a necklace of Mara and selecting a dialogue option.

Fallout new Vegas had more in depth romance options dude. Dont mistake lazy game programming for some hidden meaning just because you don't like homos.
#69tzar_666Posted 2/2/2013 8:46:27 PM
blutoblutarskyX posted...
gunsndroses posted...
Because Bethesda allowed homosexual marriage SIMPLY so that LGBT communities wouldn't go ape**** on them. They really couldn't give two turds, and I don't blame them.

No-

Beth "allowed" it because their method of creating romance options has the level of depth as a stick figure drawing compared to a photograph.

It's easier to program to just not recognize sex and make everyone generically romanceable-

Keep in mind that the basis for romance in this game is wering a necklace of Mara and selecting a dialogue option.

Fallout new Vegas had more in depth romance options dude. Dont mistake lazy game programming for some hidden meaning just because you don't like homos.

i agree. only thing is obsidian made new vegas. my fav characters was the black mountain dj. the danny trejo character motor runner and no bark. you actually care a bout the new vegas characters. everyone in skyrim is shallow and empty
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#70Neo_OnionKnightPosted 2/2/2013 9:16:29 PM
Daedric lords can be either gender right? I mean they refer to them as prince's or mistresses....Pretty sure they are key characters in ES.

So all is right in the world, or perhaps in oblivion where couples of different preferences can get married....

What! don't tell me THAT's why Imperials locked Oblivion up! Septim for shame!
---
"An obvious answer wrapped in cheap enigma foil, placed in a lunchbox of deceit surrounded by a mould of ignorance" - Meaning of Life