Voice acting: Why isn't there any?

#1Pirate_DuckPosted 2/2/2013 4:25:45 AM
I get why Bethesda seem to use the same 10-15 people to do all the voices for all the characters in Skyrim, but why do they not get them to put on different accents and stuff?

Like, seriously, why do the Jarls all have to talk exactly the same, no difffering inflections or anything?
---
Dayman! aaaAAAaaa Fighter of the Nightman! aaaAAAaaa Champion of the Sun! aaaAAAaaa His a master of karate and friendship for everyone!
#2RampagingwalrusPosted 2/2/2013 4:28:38 AM
Space.
By using few voice actors, and repetitive lines, they cut down on a lot of disc space.

Also, if they were going to spend the money to get the voice actors to record the same line multiple times, with numerous voices, they would just be better off hiring additional voice actors.
The price would be relatively the same.
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#3FMLGPosted 2/2/2013 4:41:23 AM
To be honest, less VA is better. Then they can focus on more content and have more disk space. Not sure how it works but IIRC that means shirter loading times which means less 'So what do YOU do during loading times' topics.
---
Remember FMLG told ya!
Sometimes I miss drugs.Then I read gamefaqs. - Beery <3
#4ForgottenLegendPosted 2/2/2013 4:47:45 AM
at least oblivion had Sean Bean
---
GT: GOLDU5T
#5Pirate_Duck(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 5:16:06 AM
I'm talking about the acting itself. How come the guy who voices practically all the Jarls with the exact same accents and inflections also voices all his blacksmiths and randoms with the exact same accents and inflections?

Director: "Okay, this guy is the town blacksmith. Probably a pretty gruff, but friendly guy. You know, a blacksmith"

VA: "Sure, okay. How about if I just do the exact same thing again that I've been doing for those Jarls? Like, make no effort whatsoever to differentiate him?"

Director: "Thats it! You've captured it perfectly!"

My problem with this should have absolutely nothing to do with disk space.
---
Dayman! aaaAAAaaa Fighter of the Nightman! aaaAAAaaa Champion of the Sun! aaaAAAaaa His a master of karate and friendship for everyone!
#6nytecrawlaPosted 2/2/2013 5:21:22 AM
It still boils down to disc space in the end. If I tell a guy to record one set of lines, and then use that audio file for multiple NPC's it saves space. To get a different inflection, tone, whatever, requires a whole new audio file. Having a unique audio file for each NPC would give you a Skyrim on 4 discs. It isn't really that complicated.

I would have preferred that they only voice important NPC's and leave everything else as text. make people read again. It worked out fine in Morrowind. The bulk of the script was not voiced and if anything, it made the game better, to me at least.
---
Well don't that just beat all?
#7GriffRobertsPosted 2/2/2013 5:27:07 AM
There's still plenty of space on the disk, with or without voice acting.

You can't really do many different voice inflections without sounding like a cartoon character. Whether he's calling you criminal scum, being Sheogorath, or asking you to blow up Megaton, you can still tell Wes Johnson is the one speaking to you; accents can only go so far, and you can't change the timbre of your voice that much and still sound realistic.

Plus, it helps them reuse voice files for different characters. Erik the Slayer and Kematu are two completely different characters (and Jason Marsden is decent at having a tone that matches the characters without changing up his normal voice), but they still use the same files for stuff like "Need something?" or "This is the part where you fall down and bleed to death!"
---
I didn't edit my sig this time, but I'm trying out the sig rotation thing.
#8Pirate_Duck(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 5:28:38 AM
That definitely makes sense with the NPCs, but then why is it the same with the more important characters? The dude voices at least 3 of the Jarls - off the top of my head - and they are all voiced exactly the same.

I don't know if I'm being knit-picky here, not knowing the ins of game design, but it seems like a reasonably amateurish effort on the developers part considering all the time and effort that has gone into everything else.
---
#9GriffRobertsPosted 2/2/2013 5:36:58 AM
This game has a lot of voice acting. At least the VAs feel appropriate for their roles in the game, instead of just matching up with whatever race they were.

I'd say it was largely just a design choice. A game this big is going to reuse voice actors, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't much discussion about whether they were going to try different voices in the first place. Some VAs did use different voices for different characters. Some of the generic VAs changed up their voices for Daedric Lords, for instance; I'm going to have to listen harder for the Wes Johsnon next time I talk to Hermaeus Mora.
---
I didn't edit my sig this time, but I'm trying out the sig rotation thing.
#10AgainstTheEchoPosted 2/2/2013 6:35:17 AM
To be honest. Voice acting was never a strong suit of the Elder Scrolls series. Morrowind was fantastic though, minimal voice (except for important parts) and being mostly text speech it allowed for more text options and dialogue extensions.