Voice acting: Why isn't there any?

#31Luthor_Posted 2/3/2013 6:23:06 AM
nytecrawla posted...
It isn't 'unavoidable'. All that had to be done was a little testing to make sure that the people in a given town aren't all using the same greetings/lines of dialogue. You may have a small sample to choose from, and that is fine, but if someone, anyone, would have decided that Nord A says this and Nord B says this for a greeting, then maybe there wouldn't be so many complaints about it. All of the people in a city/town/village/whatever should not be using the same lines over and over again. It completely kills immersion and points squarely to if not laziness, inefficiency.

If they expect us to manage limited resources in an efficient manner to ensure survival as a player, they should be doing the same thing when it comes to quality checking and variance as a developer. Use what you have, creatively, to avoid becoming stagnant and ending up as the shadow of a memory.

Until people stop accepting mediocrity as the status quo, giant developers will continue to shovel it into the market and say that we have no choice. The worst part? Bethesda KNOWS how bad the game is and has been, and has 'graciously' released a creation kit for the last few games that hit the market. I don't know about you, but I don't buy a pair of shoes and then do all the stitching and assembly myself. I want a pair of shoes, if I wanted to make my own shoes, I could learn to do it without giving some shoe-shell manufacturer $60 so that they could then 'graciously' give me the rest of the parts.

But none of this will matter, one of you will read up until I say something you don't like, and then you will call me out for being a 'Skyrim Basher' and shout "damn the torpedoes, give me ramming speed!"

And that is why TES will continue to regress as a series until it is no better than a yearly iteration of a Madden game, but with a really lengthy (and often times contradictory and poorly written) backstory.

I think we're talking about two different things.

And hearing your complaints, I think you're just another person playing Skyrim for all the wrong reasons. It's just voice acting. Sure, maybe Nazeem could talk about more than the cloud district and a few characters could get some different lines, but it's really not a big deal.

To say Skyrim is not worth $60, and throw all of these feet stamping tantrums that it is mediocre and writing an entire paragraph with very little meaning, it all makes it hard to take you seriously.

Skyrim never claimed to be a narrative story filled adventure.. and the Lore or "Backstory" as you called it is very well written and the best out there.
---
*jumps out of bush and throws spear*
-GorillaOnRoof
#32dave_is_slickPosted 2/3/2013 6:29:53 AM
And hearing your complaints, I think you're just another person playing Skyrim for all the wrong reasons. It's just voice acting. Sure, maybe Nazeem could talk about more than the cloud district and a few characters could get some different lines, but it's really not a big deal.

To say Skyrim is not worth $60, and throw all of these feet stamping tantrums that it is mediocre and writing an entire paragraph with very little meaning, it all makes it hard to take you seriously.

But none of this will matter, one of you will read up until I say something you don't like, and then you will call me out for being a 'Skyrim Basher' and shout "damn the torpedoes, give me ramming speed!"

You are a goddamn prophet.
---
Clementine is my baby. I will fight anyone to the death if they say otherwise!!
#33Arctic_SunrisePosted 2/3/2013 6:35:20 AM
Hot sockets, Wes did Hermaeus Mora? I totally missed that.

Then again, I missed Nolan North doing the Penguin in Arkham City too >.>
---
"And I say: "Look! I have hands!" But the people all around me say: "What are hands?" - Lady Jessica, 'Dune'
#34nytecrawlaPosted 2/3/2013 6:35:53 AM
The purpose of this topic is to discuss voice acting. I don't see how you could think we are discussing different things. You called the issue of lack of variety 'unavoidable' and I countered that it isn't.

I'm not a basher by any means, and I know what this game is and what I enjoy it for. I also know that is has many glaring faults, and the voice acting and variety in the usage of recorded dialogue is one of them. I did segue into a larger complaint, because it better illustrates my point as a whole.

This game has a lot of issues, to deny that is blatant fanboy-ism and is a primary reason why the game is continuing to devolve. You also illustrated my last point perfectly, the moment I said something you didn't agree with, true and verifiable (the lore isn't all around great, it is decent, but it wouldn't be on any best-seller lists) you call me a basher and accuse me of 'not playing the game the right way'.

I'm sorry, but last time I checked you have zero authority about how I play or enjoy the game, and that supposed level of superiority is an inherent problem in this fanbase as a whole.

I also have zero authority in your enjoyment of a game, and I understand that, but that doesn't mean I can't point out the flaws that exist in the thing I spent my money on. It is the same as ordering a meal and knowing it is undercooked. I can talk about the presentation of the meal, how the side dishes complement each other, the service of the wait staff, how nice the restaurant looks and everything else imaginable. Those things being good doesn't make the meal any less undercooked.

I don't want food poisoning, just like I don't want to spend my money on unfinished products. Part of that product being unfinished is how bad the voice acting and usage of those recorded lines of dialogue in this game are.
---
Well don't that just beat all?
#35SomnambulisticPosted 2/3/2013 7:24:16 AM
Mostly because quality VA + quantity VA = very expensive. So they opted mostly for quantity.
---
Would you like to know more?
http://i.imgur.com/hIDW3.jpg
#36tsunamizeroPosted 2/4/2013 10:54:48 PM
Has the thought occurred to anyone, that perhaps it is not the voice actors that are bad, but the directors? A bad director can make a good actor kinda crap and a good director can push bad actors into tolerability/mediocrity.
---
The apple may not fall far from the tree, but coconuts can cross oceans.
Gamertag: tsunamizero02
#37the_arisenPosted 2/4/2013 11:38:05 PM
Honestly I see both sides, but I personally would be much happier if they went back to text, and left VA for the major cinematic moments. It would allow for the parts that do have VA to be more meaningful. Also text instead of VA allows for each person you talk to to have their own voice (lol I cant be the only one who changes the sound of the voice in my head depending on who it is talking). Then again I read a large number of books and comics so maybe I am biased.....

(PS when I read batman comics, his voice is always Kevin Conroy and the jokers is always Mark Hamill....)
---
There is nothing in the bible that says Jesus wasnt a Veloci-Raptor
Raw dogging the internet (and your gf) since '93
#38JackNurSnakPackPosted 2/5/2013 2:17:45 AM
RebelElite791 posted...
ForgottenLegend posted...
at least oblivion had Sean Bean

Christopher Plummer, Max Von Sydow.

Thanks, come again.

And PATRICK STEWART FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---
"Lighthouses are more usefull than churches" - Benjamin Franklin-
#39GriffRobertsPosted 2/5/2013 5:53:05 AM
Bethesda KNOWS how bad the game is and has been, and has 'graciously' released a creation kit for the last few games that hit the market.

You think that's why they give us the Creation Kit? So we can "fix" the games ourselves? No. Modding community or not, Bethesda's expected to create a good game to the best of their abilities. They try new things, they make mistakes, sometimes they address mistakes by making completely different mistakes. But they don't make the same mistakes twice. But they don't open the game up to a modding community just so that they can release a s***ty game and make us do the fixing. I'm just sick and tired of the idea that "the developers are bad and lazy, look at what the modding community had to fix for them". Of f***ing course you're going to like a modded game better, you wouldn't install a mod if you didn't f***ing like it! Developers don't have that advantage when they make a game. Of course, this is all irrelevant on the 360 board, since console players get Bethesda only.

(yeah yeah I know, you called this, but predicting your responses doesn't give you special privileges, and I'm not instantly a dirty fanboy for defending Bethesda. They make mistakes and their QA is terrible, but modding support and learning from the community is one of their best qualities)

Back on the voice acting, I'd say it's definitely more an issue with voice direction than with the actors. I'm not saying they hired Fantastic to direct the actors, but more of how they approached getting all the dialogue recorded in the first place. I don't think it was done character by character, quest by quest. It seems like the approach was "here's all the dialogue you're responsible for, Mr. Marsden, let's get to work" and that's it. But in the end, I can't say how they organized the voice acting, and I have no idea.

I don't really want to go back to Morrowind style text-boxes, though. They didn't necessarily offer more information, it was just put out there all at once for you to read. Voice acting just adds to the immersion, when you're in a town and there's all this ambient dialogue going on around you. The only advantage it has is making it easier for modders and what you will to add new content that blends in with the rest of the world. The whole discussion is moot, though, since the expectation for any modern game of this scale is to have full voice acting, and Bethesda's not going to lower the bar.
---
I got warned for making an off-color comment on a social board. Lawl.
#40CrimsonCorpPosted 2/5/2013 5:59:51 AM
Well, one thing we can all agree with is that, Skyrim is significantly better than Oblivion in terms of Voice acting. (Aside from Patrick Steward of course, and Sean bean, I suppose)

Sure, there may only be 15-20 Voice actors, but Oblivion just had 6-8, and most of the important NPC's were no exception.

I think the voice acting is decent in Skyrim. I admit, Jarl Balgruf's voice, which is aso the voice of most Nords was quite strange when I first played Skyrim. I swear I heard his voice before in Cartoons or something. Very hard for me to take seriously at first. But it's grown on me.
---
"In the Grim Darkness of the far future... there is only awesome"