After 20 yrs and 5 games, why elder scrolls combat still feels amateuristic

#1-Damien-Posted 2/2/2013 12:30:02 PM
it's hard to make the player to feel like a badass dragonborn, if the game character animates like a robot. He can't run properly, he can't turn properly, can't roll let alone swing swords properly. The combat feels weightless, the movement is janky, the combat is downright embarassing

Why didn't Bethesda use motion capture engine in the scrolls games? that's de facto standard for any action or adventure or ARPG games nowadays
#2SoulOfFaythPosted 2/2/2013 12:37:50 PM
I was going to say the combat is fine but obvious troll topic is obvious.
---
The mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open
#3SunDevil77Posted 2/2/2013 12:38:21 PM
Nah
---
Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.
#4assassin2568Posted 2/2/2013 12:43:14 PM
i disagree
---
If murder cant solve your problems, you're in deep s---.
#5-Damien-(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 12:44:07 PM
SoulOfFayth posted...
I was going to say the combat is fine but obvious troll topic is obvious.

fine? that's very low standard
#6FMLGPosted 2/2/2013 1:03:36 PM
assassin2568 posted...
i disagree

Welcome back to the boards. First post I've seen from you here in a while.
---
Remember FMLG told ya!
Sometimes I miss drugs.Then I read gamefaqs. - Beery <3
#7marcussl55Posted 2/2/2013 1:51:27 PM
I hear what you're saying TC the combat is a little clunky but that's just something you gotta get used to. Its still an amazing game. And lets be honest if the combat was better and the game was bug free it'd be just unfair for other games out there.
---
___"you cant just assume people are gonna shoot back at you...its an unknown, unknown...
#8-Damien-(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:46:28 PM
marcussl55 posted...
I hear what you're saying TC the combat is a little clunky but that's just something you gotta get used to. Its still an amazing game. And lets be honest if the combat was better and the game was bug free it'd be just unfair for other games out there.

well combat isn't the only Skyrim's weakness. Bland, generic, dungeon design is another. and how about enemy scaling? etc, etc? there are many other weakness, but combat is the biggest downfall, so let's start with that
#9Evil_SandwichPosted 2/2/2013 3:12:28 PM(edited)
I agree.

Bethesda needs to give the player character better movement/attack animations.

They still look like crap compared to the animations I've seen other games.

I also think different characters should have unique attack animations.

I hate that all human characters using Dual-Wielding/Two-Handed/One-handed weapons all have the exact SAME movesets when they fight.

All mages fight the same too.

They could at the very least just give the player character unique attack animations no one else uses.

Final Fantasy 12 had six playable characters and they all had their own unique attack animations for every weapon type in the game and that game was on PS2.

The characters in that game also had WAY better looking animations then Skyrim's.

That's just sad come on Bethesda.
#10PharoahPelicanPosted 2/2/2013 3:35:08 PM
It could be better, but it's not as bad as you made it out to be.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.