So what would Oblivion have been like if the PC was a Dragonborn?

#21Brenz0rPosted 2/3/2013 5:12:13 AM
Rampagingwalrus posted...
The Dovahkiin does not have dragon blood, he has the soul of a dragon.

"Ah! Long has it been since I faced one of the doom-driven dragon blood." ~Tsun in Sovngarde
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#22ToraKytePosted 2/3/2013 6:54:29 AM
Assuming the Septim type of "Dragonborn" and the Skyrim Dragonborn are the same, a DB CoC could have just lit the fires and become Emperor him/herself. That's assuming he/she knew about the Dragonfires as, IIRC, the CoC didn't know their connection with Oblivion at the start of the game (everyone just thought it was a coronation ritual, IIRC).

After the amulet is stolen, it probably wouldn't make a difference. The CoC and Martin would still have to get the amulet back from Mankar Camoran, would still have been too late, and Martin would still have destroyed the amulet and become a dragon avatar.

The CoC might have been a new candidate for emperor if he/she were dragonborn and could have trained with the Greybeards (they exist at the end of the 3E, right?). But there would be no dragons to slay as the only living dragons are in Mora's realm, in the Soul Cairn, or hidden on top of a secluded mountain.

Of course, this all assumes that having a dragon soul and being "Dragonborn" as part of Alessia's agreement with Akatosh (please correct me if I get any lore wrong) are the same thing and that the CoC knew he/she was dragonborn. Otherwise, it really wouldn't make a difference as far as Oblivion's story goes. Though, I do have to wonder, could one with a dragon soul be driven mad so easily by the Shivering Isles after he/she becomes Sheogorath.
#23Smackdowner1Posted 2/3/2013 7:31:27 AM
Hey people, Bethesda makes **** up as they go. The Septims and the Dovahkiin both have dragon blood in them. Bethesda just didn't think of the shouting Magic spells gimmick until after Oblivion.

Or in other words:

"Alessia didn't have the power to absorb dragon souls. Hers was a much more nuanced power: to dream of liberty and give it a name and on her deathbed make Covenant with the Aka-Tusk." - Michael Kirkbride, ex Bethesda employee.
---
''Malice'' is a registered trademark of Smackdowner Inc.
All Rights Reserved 2002 - 2013
#24jessevalePosted 2/9/2013 9:42:43 AM
Why does everybody think no word wall/dragons = no shouting?

Absorbing Dragon Souls is just the game mechanic put in place to force advancement through shouts by unlocking them, it's not literally lore. It does serve the dual purpose of imparting the knowledge of that dragon into the absorber, the same as word walls and the Greybeards can teach impart that knowledge.

Ulfric can shout, the Greybeards exist, etc. I'm not saying you would be able to shout.

Btw, Bethesda retcons a lot less than most think. Nord 'voice masters' were said to blow down castle keep gates with their voice. The thu'um was even mentioned by name. These instances come from two separate books at least as old as Morrowind. One also appears in Skyrim. These voice masters presumably existed after dragons, as older Nord people still practiced it regularly as a culture.

Your pc could light the dragon fires, I think. The blades retain their legacy of knowledge, and seem to consider you as counterpart to the emperor. They followed him around since he/his line was dragonborn, now they follow you. To them it's the same thing.
#25DuckyhunterPosted 2/9/2013 9:47:21 AM
Smackdowner1 posted...
Hey people, Bethesda makes **** up as they go.

---
Carolina Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes fan.
#26RebelElite791Posted 2/9/2013 1:13:56 PM
Smackdowner1 posted...
Hey people, Bethesda makes **** up as they go. The Septims and the Dovahkiin both have dragon blood in them. Bethesda just didn't think of the shouting Magic spells gimmick until after Oblivion.

Or in other words:

"Alessia didn't have the power to absorb dragon souls. Hers was a much more nuanced power: to dream of liberty and give it a name and on her deathbed make Covenant with the Aka-Tusk." - Michael Kirkbride, ex Bethesda employee.

Duckyhunter posted...
Smackdowner1 posted...
Hey people, Bethesda makes **** up as they go.

The Voice has been around since before Oblivion, you plebs. But even going by your silly assumption, the Septims wouldnt have been able to Shout anyways, with the, you know, lack of dragons and walls.

Also, as usual, different kind of "Dragonborn" entirely.

And I'm glad to see jacksnackpackw/e is back and trollin it up again.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.