just tried to play morrowind. Wow

#1DeathEater30Posted 2/3/2013 7:57:52 AM
Im sure many people here love it and will call me a troll or a loser for my opinion but man i could not get into it. No lockpicking minigame, you get in trouble just for attempting to pick someones pocket, the endless amount of reading, all the characters look like they have carrots up their butts, swing 20 times and hit an enemy once. Its just very primitive game design IMO. Im sure its awesome at later levels but the time it will take to build up to those levels just isnt worth it at this point. Too many other games to play. Really makes me appreciate how they "dumbed down" the system in skyrim to make it actually fun.
#2RikashiPosted 2/3/2013 8:04:38 AM
Not saying you're wrong, but... Deatheater topic.
---
Wait a moment... pencil processors offline!?
Not changing this sig until Stephen Kings 'It' gets a proper movie adaption.
#3MastadiPosted 2/3/2013 8:04:45 AM
Take it slow. It a game that requires investment from you, but is well worth it in the end. I was like you when I first started playing, but then I did it over a weekend. I put some time aside, and spent a few hours just getting past the first few bits, reading anything that seemed interesting or relevant to the story/the world at large.

It is really harsh at the start, but don't give up. Even the combat isn't too bad once you raise your skills up a little bit.
---
I would use a nude male mod with equipable underwear just so I can enchant a pair of magical boxers. - Nexus_Nocturnal.
#4thermopylaePosted 2/3/2013 8:05:41 AM
love morrowind. looking back it was more realistic in some areas and less in others. excellant for its day.
---
The price of Victory is high, but so are the rewards.
#5ToraKytePosted 2/3/2013 8:05:58 AM
Yeah, as much as I want to play Morrowind, it's hard to get into when you started with Oblivion and Skyrim. That's why I hope that Morrowind recreation in Skyrim ends up being finished.

Though, with how much free time I have at school these days, I may install Morrowind on my laptop and play when I have nothing else to do. Anyone know the system requirements of Morrowind with those graphics and sound overhauls?
#6Falius_DraigonPosted 2/3/2013 8:12:14 AM
It's a game that definitely requires patience. You'll be scraping along for a while, but when you do start to get good it feels very rewarding. I still argue that I felt much more like the world's greatest thief when i successfully robbed the house treasuries than I ever did playing through the missions in Oblivion or Skyrim. I used to actually show off my collection of uniques to my friends.
---
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Draigon
#7nathraxhPosted 2/3/2013 8:25:26 AM
I bought Morrowind a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing it whenever I get a free moment. I originally had it when it came out, but gave up trying to play it after a few hours and traded it in (I was like 12, don't hate).

I'm absolutely loving it this time round. Yeah, Skyrim's way better on most things, but the factions. Lord above, they're amazing. Like the fact you actually have to choose which ones to become a member of, because once you join one, certain others won't let you join. It's also so damn alien. Like, Dunmer culture, out of all TES cultures, seems to be the one furthest detached from our world. Then there's the scenery. They could've gone with one, or a combination, of the traditional geographical settings - forest, grasslands, jungle, desert, snow, etc. But no, they went with volcanic wasteland.

You might be able to tell, I absolutely love it.
---
Dwarf shortage.
#8aeyeaws32Posted 2/3/2013 9:12:51 AM
Morrowind had its own way. You had to steal and buy training to get anywhere leveling.
The run speed especially had to be twinked up before you started to play or you had to get the boots of blinding speed. You also needed the expansion for the journal fixes, the orig game had no sorting of journal entries. Thers a couple of high value items like the sword of white woe you need to lookup in a guide to get the game moving along. you go thru a half dozen steals and training sessions with these high dollar items helps alot.
The combat system misses alot when you skill is low ;10 skill will only hit 10% of the time.
#9SchesparnPosted 2/3/2013 9:27:28 AM
Your problem is that you went in expecting an action game with RPG elements, like Skyrim. Morrowind is an RPG with action-game elements.
---
Look, for the last time: Kirby has explained it over and over!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk138/Schesparn/11911255317531.gif
#10TheBeastWithinPosted 2/3/2013 9:52:18 AM
Morrowind is almost pure RPG. You seem to be expecting an action/RPG hybrid. Some people don't give a damn about action and just want to role play. Those people live Morrowind. Others like you value action I guess. It comes down to your personal preferences.
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!