Something simple I think would improve the combat in ES VI

#11Arctic_SunrisePosted 2/3/2013 12:25:48 PM
I would really like this change. It would be excellent to actually clash swords and occasionally lock swords, getting up in each others' snarling faces until you either headbutt the git or push each other away.

It would also be nice to grab. I'm envisioning a spellsword grabbing a bandit by the throat and then unleashing lightning, then while he's juddering from the spell, impaling him with the blade in the other hand. Not a cinematic kill, either - the player would have to activate grab, spell and sword.

It might make it a little more awkward, but it would anchor and solidify the combat a little more, I think.
---
"And I say: "Look! I have hands!" But the people all around me say: "What are hands?" - Lady Jessica, 'Dune'
#1295_Eclipse(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 12:35:09 PM
Nicodaemos posted...
Sounds like it could work, but I don't think 1 handed weapons should be able to deflect 2 handed weapons, and daggers shouldn't be able to deflect anything.

They would have to find a way to make it work well, but a 1h sword could deflect a 2h sword, though not as effectively as it could a 1h. But I agree daggers wouldn't be able to deflect anything.

So perhaps have it where it takes stamina away when you have a sword clash, and more stamina to deflect with a 1h vs a 2h sword, and once out of stamina you would be 'stunned' upon having a sword clash. This would keep people from just endlessly sword clashing their way to victory as well.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#13Arctic_SunrisePosted 2/3/2013 12:38:12 PM
To return briefly to Dragon's Dogma, which someone else mentioned, I think you'd have to be careful in a change to Elder Scrolls' combat not to overdo the stamina use. It works well in DD, but I wouldn't like to clash swords a few times and then be exhausted and vulnerable.
---
"And I say: "Look! I have hands!" But the people all around me say: "What are hands?" - Lady Jessica, 'Dune'
#1499templar99Posted 2/3/2013 12:42:00 PM
I would like it if whenever you go into combat the game would automatically put you into third person. In this new combat mode they can remap the buttons to really expand on and improve the fluidity of the combat system and any perks/powers associated. That way we get the best of both world's. We'd have the first person exploration and dealing with the people and environments that we know and love with a new robust third person combat system.
---
GT:Templar99
#15GriffRobertsPosted 2/3/2013 1:09:18 PM
I'd rather TES combat always stay in first person, while still improving on the third person camera. It would suck for a fight in a narrow hall (the kind you don't see in third person games).

Grabbing would be cool, and I think they could stand to lift a few ideas from games like Dishonored and Chivalry, and Elder Scrollsisize them. Stuff like parrying is awkward in a stat-based game, but I could see it worked in appropriately. Maybe it's enabled by a perk.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#16Evil_SandwichPosted 2/3/2013 1:12:50 PM
Combat needs more blood and gore.
#1795_Eclipse(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 1:38:57 PM
Arctic_Sunrise posted...
To return briefly to Dragon's Dogma, which someone else mentioned, I think you'd have to be careful in a change to Elder Scrolls' combat not to overdo the stamina use. It works well in DD, but I wouldn't like to clash swords a few times and then be exhausted and vulnerable.

Of course, it would need to be balanced, so it wouldn't become a 'chore' to fight. But say you have 200 stamina, if you go 1h vs 1h you can have say, 10 sword clashes before out of stamina (most 'easy' fights should be long over before then anyway) and 1h vs 2h only 5 (Just for example)

Of course, if you fought well enough you could avoid sword clashes in many cases, For example : Fight starts, first swing results in swords clashing, you then bring up your shield for the NPC's second swing, blocking and counter attacking with your sword.

But the NPC could do the same to you, so it would make the fights more interesting. (if done right)

99templar99 posted...
I would like it if whenever you go into combat the game would automatically put you into third person. In this new combat mode they can remap the buttons to really expand on and improve the fluidity of the combat system and any perks/powers associated. That way we get the best of both world's. We'd have the first person exploration and dealing with the people and environments that we know and love with a new robust third person combat system.

I completely disagree with this. While I'm fine with them upgrading 3rd person for those who like it, I absolutely do NOT want to use 3rd person in ES any more than is required, this would ruin the game for me.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#18Arctic_SunrisePosted 2/3/2013 1:43:15 PM
I absolutely love the idea of locking swords with a Draugr Deathlord and getting right up in his fetid, decomposed face and glaring into those gleaming blue eyes as he growls at you in Dragon.

I could even stand a LT/RT hammerfest to get the advantage, but that would make it a bit arcadey.
---
#19PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 2/3/2013 1:48:45 PM
TBQH there is no good reason as to why the combat sucks other than it being Bethesdas fault. If they didn't have their heads up their asses they'd realize "Hey, our game is so simplistic, it gets boring within minutes!" It all boils down to Beth being lazy and thinking what they have currently is good enough, when it is actually just plain embarassing for them.

The combat as it is now is NO DIFFERENT than ANY FPS.

It doesn't matter hwere you hit, jut hit them enough times to bring their health to 0, and that's all you need to know.

Personally I think they should put more Fallout into ES, as in, limb damage and consequences for damaged limbs. I also think if an enemy or you are wearing heavy armor, there needs to be realistic damage. If I take a DAGGER to the chest wearing a full suit of armor, IRL the curve of my chest armor would deflect the blade. In TES, it does X damage. That just makes no sense. There needs to be realistic perks and disadvantages to wearing armor. Like making you slow as a snail and your attacks slower, but able to deflect most slashes. To damage someone in armor, for instance, you'd NEED to *THRUST* your weapon between the armor. Not just SPAM RT SPAM RT SPAM RT SPAM RT I WIN!

One way they could improve is by simply adding combos and specials beyond "Pres X direction, hold RT" - including mybe having Light/heavy attacks.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.