Is Ulfric working with the Thalmor?

#1TwoBladesOneBowPosted 2/3/2013 5:43:17 PM
The reason I ask is because during the quest Diplomatic Immunity I read his Dossier, and the way it sounds he is their ally. But, the whole rebellion is because of the dominion and empire. This is the Dossier can someone tell me what it means?

Status: Asset (uncooperative), Dormant, Emissary Level Approval

Description: Jarl of Windhelm, leader of Stormcloak rebellion, Imperial Legion veteran

Background: Ulfric first came to our attention during the First War Against the Empire, when he was taken as a prisoner of war during the campaign for the White-Gold Tower. Under interrogation, we learned of his potential value (son of the Jarl of Windhelm) and he was assigned as an asset to the interrogator, who is now First Emissary Elenwen. He was made to believe information obtained during his interrogation was crucial in the capture of the Imperial City (the city had in fact fallen before he had broken), and then allowed to escape. After the war, contact was established and he has proven his worth as an asset.The so-called Markarth Incident was particularly valuable from the point of view of our strategic goals in Skyrim, although it resulted in Ulfric becoming generally uncooperative to direct contact.

Operational Notes: Direct contact remains a possibility (under extreme circumstances), but in general the asset should be considered dormant. As long as the civil war proceeds in its current indecisive fashion, we should remain hands-off. The incident at Helgen is an example where an exception had to be made - obviously Ulfric's death would have dramatically increased the chance of an Imperial victory and thus harmed our overall position in Skyrim. (NOTE: The coincidental intervention of the dragon at Helgen is still under scrutiny. The obvious conclusion is that whoever is behind the dragons also has an interest in the continuation of the war, but we should not assume therefore that their goals align with our own.) A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed.
---
"M'aiq has heard legends of a man with a powerful beard. This man never sleeps, he only waits."- IamI3rian
#2GBALoserPosted 2/3/2013 5:46:10 PM
I don't think he's under their employ, but he's considered an asset so long as the War continues as it still occupies the Empire militarily.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#3EmblemWarriorPosted 2/3/2013 5:56:18 PM
He's not working for them, but pretty much everything he's doing now just benefits them.
---
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
#4zeroboboPosted 2/3/2013 6:37:46 PM
no he's not.

they captured him (after being betrayed to them by the empire btw). then they tortured the crap otu of him for awhile. they then found out he'd become jarl of eastmarch if he got out, and that he'd probably start a civil war because he hates the thalmor so much, and by extension the empire.

so they allowed him to escape, basically made it easy for him to do so since they knew he'd go start up the stormcloak rebellion keeping the empire busy in skyrim.

thats all that means.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#5Fate_AssassinPosted 2/3/2013 6:57:04 PM
zerobobo posted...
no he's not.

they captured him (after being betrayed to them by the empire btw). then they tortured the crap otu of him for awhile. they then found out he'd become jarl of eastmarch if he got out, and that he'd probably start a civil war because he hates the thalmor so much, and by extension the empire.

so they allowed him to escape, basically made it easy for him to do so since they knew he'd go start up the stormcloak rebellion keeping the empire busy in skyrim.

thats all that means.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Also this may be a little off topic but was he able to use the Th'um when he was imprisoned?
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
3/13/2013, shipment date
#6Erroneous_SnakePosted 2/3/2013 7:05:39 PM
Fate_Assassin posted...
zerobobo posted...
no he's not.

thats all that means.

Also this may be a little off topic but was he able to use the Th'um when he was imprisoned?

It's called playing the game, it's all there pretty plainly enough...
---
This message has been brought to you from my Galaxy Nexus
#7zeroboboPosted 2/3/2013 7:06:44 PM
Fate_Assassin posted...
zerobobo posted...
no he's not.

thats all that means.

i assume they kept him gagged, maybe thats how they purposely let him escape by "forgetting" to gag him, i dunno i dont think its ever mentioned.

peoples confusion is merely with the fact they call him an "asset". you are aware alot terrorist leaders are considered assets by the CIA right?

asset merely means you can use them. with or without their knowledge or cooperation.
the thalmor themselves say a stormcloak victory was to be avoided at all costs. i mean it completely removes thalmor presence from skyrim, if he was working for them why would they want that? makes no sense.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#8The_Ivory_ManPosted 2/3/2013 7:08:13 PM
They're manipulating him, Ulfric just can't see five feet in front of his dreams
#9Fate_AssassinPosted 2/3/2013 7:10:14 PM
INFRARED PYTHON posted...
Fate_Assassin posted...
zerobobo posted...
no he's not.

thats all that means.

It's called playing the game, it's all there pretty plainly enough...

One it never states that he was betrayed by the Empire. The only time it mentions that is when he retook the Reach, but that deal wasn't even made by the Empire.

Two that incident is what made him start the Rebellion because of a promise from the Jarl when the Jarl knew he wouldn't be able to keep it, so the Civil War starting is not because of the Thalmor.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165 - restored faith in humanity.
3/13/2013, shipment date
#10Fate_AssassinPosted 2/3/2013 7:14:08 PM
zerobobo posted...
Fate_Assassin posted...
zerobobo posted...
no he's not.

thats all that means.

i assume they kept him gagged, maybe thats how they purposely let him escape by "forgetting" to gag him, i dunno i dont think its ever mentioned.

peoples confusion is merely with the fact they call him an "asset". you are aware alot terrorist leaders are considered assets by the CIA right?

asset merely means you can use them. with or without their knowledge or cooperation.
the thalmor themselves say a stormcloak victory was to be avoided at all costs. i mean it completely removes thalmor presence from skyrim, if he was working for them why would they want that? makes no sense.

I was talking about the part about betrayed by the Empire and that is why he was captured.

I can see where you are coming from with the asset part, but wouldn't it make more sense for him to help build the Empires power back up so he can crush the AD?
---
3/13/2013, shipment date