Is Ulfric working with the Thalmor?

#11zeroboboPosted 2/3/2013 7:22:53 PM
Fate_Assassin posted...
zerobobo posted...
Fate_Assassin posted...
zerobobo posted...
no he's not.

they captured him (after being betrayed to them by the empire btw). then they tortured the crap otu of him for awhile. they then found out he'd become jarl of eastmarch if he got out, and that he'd probably start a civil war because he hates the thalmor so much, and by extension the empire.

so they allowed him to escape, basically made it easy for him to do so since they knew he'd go start up the stormcloak rebellion keeping the empire busy in skyrim.

thats all that means.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Also this may be a little off topic but was he able to use the Th'um when he was imprisoned?

i assume they kept him gagged, maybe thats how they purposely let him escape by "forgetting" to gag him, i dunno i dont think its ever mentioned.

peoples confusion is merely with the fact they call him an "asset". you are aware alot terrorist leaders are considered assets by the CIA right?

asset merely means you can use them. with or without their knowledge or cooperation.
the thalmor themselves say a stormcloak victory was to be avoided at all costs. i mean it completely removes thalmor presence from skyrim, if he was working for them why would they want that? makes no sense.

I was talking about the part about betrayed by the Empire and that is why he was captured.

I can see where you are coming from with the asset part, but wouldn't it make more sense for him to help build the Empires power back up so he can crush the AD?

the empire is ruled by incompetent fops who care more about their gold than anything else.
the legion may say "oh we're planning on counter attacking any day now". they've been saying that for literally 30 years. it does not take a generation to prepare a counter offensive.

the old jarl of markarth (who was a representative of the empire), told ulfric that if he helped retake markarth that they'd be free to worship talos and that the empire backed it. so ulfric retook markarth for them, and he did it swiftly. the thalmor caught wind of the whole talos deal and forced the empire to hand ulfric over, so they did.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#12sinyxPosted 2/3/2013 7:39:33 PM
Ulfric is about Nords being allowed to live and worship as Nords wish. He does keep Dark Elves oppressed along with the Argonians. He seems more or less aligned with anyone Nord who stands with Skyrim, resenting anyone else. I think he's being used and doesn't care even if he knows it because in reality his whole goal is to purge Skyrim and eradicate the Elves, all Elves. His Thu'um is just his ace in the hole.
---
Haters mean you're doing your job right.
GT and PSN: sinyx
#13konokonohamaruPosted 2/3/2013 7:54:24 PM
Every NPC in the game is an asset.

A game asset.

*shades*
#14Ajd_KingPosted 2/3/2013 8:02:07 PM
zerobobo posted...
they captured him (after being betrayed to them by the empire btw).

In what way?

Anyway, Ulfric is an 'asset' in the same way an earthquake in Skyrim would be an asset to the Thalmor. Whilst he was in contact with them before, he isn't anymore.
---
"Stannis... in spite of everything, he is a righteous man."
- GRRM.
#15zeroboboPosted 2/3/2013 8:08:55 PM
Ajd_King posted...
zerobobo posted...

In what way?

Anyway, Ulfric is an 'asset' in the same way an earthquake in Skyrim would be an asset to the Thalmor. Whilst he was in contact with them before, he isn't anymore.

reading the entire post generally helps. keep reading my post, i say so in there.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#16Ajd_KingPosted 2/3/2013 8:19:26 PM(edited)
zerobobo posted...
Ajd_King posted...
zerobobo posted...

In what way?

reading the entire post generally helps. keep reading my post, i say so in there.

Nothing in your post comments on how the Empire's 'betrayel' of Ulfric lead to his capture by the Dominion.

Oh, haha, you're confusing Markarth with the Red Ring. Ulfric's capture and subsequent torture by the Dominion occured during the Great War, where he was lead to believe the information he gave caused the fall of the Imperial City, that's when he was released by the Dominion.

Igmund and the Empire's arrest of Ulfric happened after the Forsworn were kicked out of Markarth, which was a fair while after the end of the Great War.
---
"Stannis... in spite of everything, he is a righteous man."
- GRRM.
#17Orpheus_DemigodPosted 2/3/2013 8:22:52 PM
The whole "Direct contact remains a possibility" bit is what makes this more ambiguous in my opinion.
#18kamahl25Posted 2/3/2013 8:37:45 PM
Ulfric is an asset because he is doing everthing the thalmor want him to do without actually having any contact with him.

the thalmor are desperately trying to weaken the empires hold on a lot of areas and ulfric is playing right into their plans.

i cannot side with the stormcloaks for this very reason, they are only destabilizing the region more and making it easier for the thalmor. do you think the stormcloaks stand a chance alone after the civil war and do you really think the empire would not respond with more legions and completely crush them further weakening skyrim. now is not the time to be discussing skyrim's independence, that can wait until after the thalmor have been dealt with.