Need Help: Game Crashes In My Hearthfire Home

#1SuperFadedPosted 2/4/2013 3:25:17 PM
So I just recently finished making my house. The combination of the rooms are: greenhouse, storage, and armory. All rooms are basically fully decorated apart from the mounted head trophies. Everything was working fine, tended to my flowers, organized my goods in the storage, and decorated my armory with pieces of different armor sets I found in dungeons.

Then today, when I got on, out of no where I crashed when I was harvesting my plants. This has been the first time I've crashed since playing this game (125 hrs accumulated so far). I shrugged it off and thought it'd be one of those rare occurrences. Nope. Every time I've tried to reload to my latest save point in my house I would instantly crash before moving 3 steps. Now I'm stuck in my house and can't get out or revert to a previous save because it's about 10 levels apart.

What I'd like help with, other than how to fix this, is if this a common problem with people who own hearthfire. Does it have to do with the possible combinations of the rooms or is there another problem all together?

Additional observations I have: I've noticed I started crashing the minute my greenhouse started spawning butterflies and bees, not sure if there's a connection.

Regrettably I forgot the name of the plot of land it was on but, if I remember correctly, it is beside a swamp, snows, and you can see solitude's blue palace on the cliff at a distance if that helps.
#2CaIiber345Posted 2/4/2013 3:39:40 PM
Are your Workbenches still inside the house? If so, GET RID OF THEM.

This happens a lot, especially in Lakeview Manor, the house by Lake Ilinalta. Remove all of the workbenches inside, including the cellar. I had the same exact problem, and clearing the workbenches out fixed it.
---
When all else fails, and you're being overrun, grab a meatshield.
Hail HYDRA!
#3JtBlazePosted 2/4/2013 3:42:09 PM(edited)
I've never had the game crash in any of the hearthfire houses and the one I use as my main is falkreath's. Perhaps it is a combination of certain rooms?

I have the Trophy, Armory and Family rooms in falkreath

All the towers in the Dawnstar house

And the storage room, kitchen and greenhouse in Morthal's house

My advice would be to clear the harddrive cache, delete the hearth fire dlc then redownload it and hope for the best.

EDIT: I also will add that I removed all workbenches from the house as soon as I built all the additions I wanted etc. and the workbenches were removed from everywhere but the basement before I started storing items in the falkreath house. Once I finished the shrine down there I removed the basement's workbench. Never had any crashes during that period. And I have about 180 hrs on that save.
#4SuperFaded(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 3:42:39 PM
CaIiber345 posted...

This happens a lot, especially in Lakeview Manor, the house by Lake Ilinalta. Remove all of the workbenches inside, including the cellar. I had the same exact problem, and clearing the workbenches out fixed it.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to do that but I'm currently struggling to reach the door to skyrim before my game inevitably crashes.
#5CaIiber345Posted 2/4/2013 3:44:21 PM
SuperFaded posted...
CaIiber345 posted...

Thanks for the info, I'll try to do that but I'm currently struggling to reach the door to skyrim before my game inevitably crashes.

If you have Whirlwind Sprint, try that and just jam the button to open the door.
---
When all else fails, and you're being overrun, grab a meatshield.
Hail HYDRA!
#6XydruPosted 2/4/2013 3:45:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7SuperFaded(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 3:50:42 PM
K finally managed to get outside and got rid of all the work benches. Re-entered and so far so good. Thanks for the help guys. Also is this a problem with all the houses or just Windstad's manor in particular (one near morthal)?
#8CaIiber345Posted 2/4/2013 11:26:44 PM
And it's okay to put one workbench back in, if you're working in that area. Then remove it again when you're done.
---
Magical Skyrim crackers! http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8229/8446129224_fc6346006f_b.jpg
Hail HYDRA!