Lore vs History

#1obishawnPosted 2/5/2013 10:41:39 AM
I love the the Elder Scrolls has such deep roots with its lore, but it can be a bit strange, if not confusing and/or overwhelming. I'm not as interested in the lore (the theology) as much as I am the history. As a person who hasn't delved too deeply into history or lore, how feasible is it to attempt to get into the history while keeping a purposeful distance from the lore?

And again, to clarify, by "lore," I mean the theology, I understand some make no distinction between history and lore.
---
Winter is coming
#2VohodPosted 2/5/2013 10:50:49 AM
Here: http://www.imperial-library.info/content/tamriel-timeline
#3turn_basedPosted 2/5/2013 11:25:21 AM(edited)
Dude, we're totally in agreement on this.

After reading the threads about lore the last couple of days, (and totally not 'getting it') I realized I prefer to just stick with what I've read about and what I've experienced playing ES since Morrowind,(which I'd recommend to anyone interested in the richness of Elderscrolls since it's still very 'playable.')

The races, the nations, the 8+1, the daedra, invasions, expansions and withdrawls, wars and treaties, oblivion gates and erupting volcanoes and the ensuing revenge of the argos against the duns is good enough for me, I love Tamriel and all of mundus or nirn or whatever the planet is called and it's all I need from the Elderscroll series.

TES to me is Caius Cosades, Divayth Fyr, Lucien Lachance, Malacath, Golden Saints, daedric warhammers and Illusion magic.

Mantling? Not so much.

:)
---
Redguards Rule!
#4the_arisenPosted 2/5/2013 11:31:03 AM
Its easy enough to keep them seperate. Especially in the newer games (oblivion, skyrim) however Morrowind is mostly about your character coming to terms and discovering what C.H.I.M. is and through that process becoming the nerevarine (main quest).

Honestly, from my experience the part where the lore becomes confusing is when you get a bunch of people debating it on internet forums, because some of it is open to interpratation. But that is one thing I love about the Elder Scrolls series. It doesnt punish you for not knowing the lore, but like the Alice and the Rabbit hole you can follow it as deep as you want.
---
There is nothing in the bible that says Jesus wasnt a Veloci-Raptor
Raw dogging the internet (and your gf) since '93
#5RebelElite791Posted 2/5/2013 11:58:26 AM
the_arisen posted...
Its easy enough to keep them seperate. Especially in the newer games (oblivion, skyrim) however Morrowind is mostly about your character coming to terms and discovering what C.H.I.M. is and through that process becoming the nerevarine (main quest).

Honestly, from my experience the part where the lore becomes confusing is when you get a bunch of people debating it on internet forums, because some of it is open to interpratation. But that is one thing I love about the Elder Scrolls series. It doesnt punish you for not knowing the lore, but like the Alice and the Rabbit hole you can follow it as deep as you want.

That's not what Morrowind is about in any way, shape, or form.

CHIM also has NOTHING to do with "becoming the Nerevarine"......
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#6turn_basedPosted 2/5/2013 12:04:23 PM
Rebel! You got me chuckling there, man! It couldn't have been anyone else! Seriously, you made me laugh!
---
Redguards Rule!
#7the_arisenPosted 2/5/2013 12:04:24 PM
It has been years since I played Morrowind. But I thought thats what all that text was inbetween the levels. Mayhaps I should go back and play again. Cuz if rebel says I am wrong about TES then god dang it I am wrong about TES
---
There is nothing in the bible that says Jesus wasnt a Veloci-Raptor
Raw dogging the internet (and your gf) since '93
#8VohodPosted 2/5/2013 1:13:22 PM
CHIM and the theo-philosophical stuff in TES has always been in substance, if not in form, a philosophical circle-jerk. When I was active on TIL and TES forums in 2005-2006 it literally came down to people just liking MK's writing and a small cult of people buying into its "higher meaning." For the most part the center of this group were people who knew 90% of it was vague and attenuated series of claims, but liked leading newbies and other die-hards down some imaginary path to comprehending the Sermons of Vivec, CHIM, et al.
#9RebelElite791Posted 2/5/2013 1:16:33 PM
Vohod posted...
CHIM and the theo-philosophical stuff in TES has always been in substance, if not in form, a philosophical circle-jerk. When I was active on TIL and TES forums in 2005-2006 it literally came down to people just liking MK's writing and a small cult of people buying into its "higher meaning." For the most part the center of this group were people who knew 90% of it was vague and attenuated series of claims, but liked leading newbies and other die-hards down some imaginary path to comprehending the Sermons of Vivec, CHIM, et al.

Except the Sermons and CHIM aren't obscure or hard to comprehend, and CHIM and such are hardly limited to MK's writings.

Try again bitter turbobeard.
---
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
#10turn_basedPosted 2/5/2013 1:23:11 PM
He said 'bitter turbobeard.'

You make that up, rebel?
---
Redguards Rule!