help a brotha out? (pure mage related)

#1KINGR1PPosted 2/6/2013 11:12:23 AM
My first playthrough was a warrior Redguard but that file got glitched and couldn't finish it.
My second playthrough was a battle mage that had magic in one hand and a one handed weapon in the other. His name was Vegeta. Lol
My third playthrough is going to be a straight pure mage. I won't be using melee weapons or archery.

I'm kind of cheating right now. I'm in the first area where the guy is showing you how to sneak attack a bear, but I'm leveling up my Destruction and Sneak. I'm level 17 right now. Destruction is at level 51, Sneak at 82, and one handed at level 31. Will I be able to leave the area and be okay if I leave when my Destruction is at level 60?

Also, what other skill trees should I focus on for a pure mage besides destruction? I was thinking Restoration.
---
Currently Playing: SSF4AE, RE4, Fallout 3
SSF4 main: Vega Sub: Balrog Training: Cody & Sagat
#2da_gamaPosted 2/6/2013 11:14:31 AM(edited)
If you're gonna go for pure mage, I would recommend going into each magic tree a little bit, especially Illusion, as that tree has the Silent Casting perk, which can help when you want to cast something and not be caught immediately.

EDIT: Oh, and Alteration has some nice spells and perks for defense that can come in handy, might want to check those out as well.
---
If you are interested in an ES Roleplay story go to the board in my quote
#3LeoduxPosted 2/6/2013 11:16:14 AM
Conjuration is pretty cool. Summoning two Dremora Lords will kill just about anything.
---
War Is The Answer
#4GriffRobertsPosted 2/6/2013 11:16:26 AM
Considering you'll be using Novice/Apprentice level spells until you can get to the college and buy better spells, you're going to be in a tight spot. Just don't level up too ridiculously fast.

A good pure mage uses almost all of the schools, by the way. Alteration and Restoration for defense (pure robes and Mage Armor or bust), Illusion and/or Conjuration for crowd control, and Conjuration and/or Destruction for dealing damage. You can't survive on Destruction alone.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#5XydruPosted 2/6/2013 11:18:25 AM
You'll most likely get demolished. You have no spells or money for spells.

A pure mage should focus in all magic schools. You can neglect leveling one of them so you dont spread too thin early on.
---
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/
For you lazy/lonely fools/hipsters.
#6NicodaemosPosted 2/6/2013 11:34:26 AM
You can take the skills as far up as you want to, but don't level up.

Also, what other skill trees should I focus on for a pure mage besides destruction? I was thinking Restoration.

All of them. The magic trees. Just don't perk Restoration after 50.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#7Tmoney222Posted 2/6/2013 11:37:48 AM
Agreed. The best mages use spells from every branch of magic. Mages need a vast amount of spells for any situation that may present itself. Being well rounded is key.
#8lorddrago88Posted 2/6/2013 11:55:47 AM
If you are NOT going to use Conjuration, get the Atronach stone. Makes fighting enemy mages much easier and gives you extra mana.

Make sure to take Aspect of Terror AFTER (not before) getting both ranks of Augmented Flames.

Do not just wear robes. Wear light or heavy armor.
#9DanOverboardPosted 2/6/2013 12:12:55 PM
Use Illusion—Calm, Fury, etc.—get the enemies to fight each other or calm a grizzly bear that's about to maul you.
#10lorddrago88Posted 2/6/2013 12:14:39 PM
DanOverboard posted...
Use Illusion—Calm, Fury, etc.—get the enemies to fight each other or calm a grizzly bear that's about to maul you.

Second this. Illusion magic is very powerful.