Awesome video on the dumbing down of TES games

#1Belgarion05Posted 2/6/2013 6:23:54 PM
I don't know if this has been widely viewed on this forum or not, but I just ran across it and thought it was brilliant. Those who thought Morrowind was awesome and the series has started going downhill will really like it. Even if you don't, you'll still probably like it because the guy is hilarious. And has an accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#2Luthor_Posted 2/6/2013 6:39:36 PM
Streamlining =/= dumbing down
---
*jumps out of bush and throws spear*
-GorillaOnRoof
#3zeroboboPosted 2/6/2013 6:42:37 PM
they streamlined it.
its not dumbed down.

basically i tune out anytime anyone goes "rah rah they dumbed this down!" because very rarely do they dumb anything down.
---
Gamertag: Clonedzero
#4JohnRyan1228Posted 2/6/2013 6:47:12 PM
I don't think you have to be one of those hurp a durr morrowin best game evurr people to enjoy this vid. I agree with most of he said. Having immortal npcs is not streamlining. Its dumbing down. No ifs ands or buts (another thing I love about nv). I also agree that most of the dumbing down was a product of oblivion, not skyrim, and that oblivion is the weakest of the three. There are some things I don't agree with, but overall good video.
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#5The_Ivory_ManPosted 2/6/2013 6:47:52 PM
Nearly everything has been improved voice actors, combat, exploration, we are just missing hand placed loot and a "KILL EVERYTHING" switch
---
If you are 100% sure Redguards are the master race copy and paste this into your signature
#6JohnRyan1228Posted 2/6/2013 6:50:15 PM
zerobobo posted...
they streamlined it.
its not dumbed down.

basically i tune out anytime anyone goes "rah rah they dumbed this down!" because very rarely do they dumb anything down.

Objectively, is making practically half the npcs unkillable not "dumbing it down?" There is generally a fine line between streamlining and dumbing down, and I generally give Beth the benefit of the doubt, but the line isn't fine with that
---
If I ever cared about what you had to say, I'd stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
#7JohnRyan1228Posted 2/6/2013 6:53:56 PM(edited)
The_Ivory_Man posted...
Nearly everything has been improved voice actors, combat, exploration, we are just missing hand placed loot and a "KILL EVERYTHING" switch

I pretty much agree with this. I also want better directions for quests so you don't need quest markers, some better alternatives to fast travel, skill checks, the ability to fail missions, and maybe a couple more skills.
---
#8The_Ivory_ManPosted 2/6/2013 6:52:59 PM
JohnRyan1228 posted...
The_Ivory_Man posted...

I pretty much agree with this. I also want better directions for quests so you don't need quest markers, and a couple more skills.

Agree, better directions would make everyone stop complaning
---
If you are 100% sure Redguards are the master race copy and paste this into your signature
#9Belgarion05(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 6:54:11 PM
I think people aren't watching the video. And then commenting. Seriously, you should join Congress. You'd fit in.

- Quest markers is not streamlining
- Lack of conversation options is not streamlining
- Removing consequences from your actions is not streamlining

Streamlining when you take Morrowind's goofy stat-based 2mph starting run speed and Atheltics and turn it into Skyrim's jog.
---
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
#10JohnRyan1228Posted 2/6/2013 6:54:41 PM
The_Ivory_Man posted...
JohnRyan1228 posted...
The_Ivory_Man posted...

I pretty much agree with this. I also want better directions for quests so you don't need quest markers, and a couple more skills.

Agree, better directions would make everyone stop complaning

You know better than that
---